X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kuligin
    • Nov 2010

Literature for Music Undergraduates

Last night, i listened to an old recording of Josquin's Missa l homme arme super voces musicales, and wanting some more information about the work, googled it .

Strangely Google led me to a note to new music students at Oxford from Dr Roger Allen.

As well as providing a formidable list of suggested music, including the Josquin, and advice to listen to lots of music at the Proms and Radio 3, he requests his students to read The Rime of the Ancient Mariner and The Old Man and the Sea and to write an essay, of 1000 to 1500 words, on their response and why he suggests reading these texts.

I know I was not able enough to study anything at Oxford, and I can see its a good idea for students to appreciate more than music, but why those particular texts?
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by kuligin View Post
    As well as providing a formidable list of suggested music, including the Josquin, and advice to listen to lots of music at the Proms and Radio 3, he requests his students to read The Rime of the Ancient Mariner and The Old Man and the Sea and to write an essay, of 1000 to 1500 words, on their response and why he suggests reading these texts.

I know I was not able enough to study anything at Oxford, and I can see its a good idea for students to appreciate more than music, but why those particular texts?
    Intriguing. The similarity between the two is obvious, but with L'Homme Armé?
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Frances_iom
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      Intriguing. The similarity between the two is obvious, but with L'Homme Armé?
      the key 'theme' of L'Homme Arme has formed the basis of many works from parody masses onward - maybe the use of a common theme by many very different authors ?

Comment

• kuligin
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
        the key 'theme' of L'Homme Arme has formed the basis of many works from parody masses onward - maybe the use of a common theme by many very different authors ?
        The choice of literature did not relate specifically to Josquin, the music list runs from Chant to Boulez.

The question set to the students was, as well as giving a critique, why were those works chosen for students starting a music degree?

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

The question set to the students was, as well as giving a critique, why were those works chosen for students starting a music degree?
          When I started as an undergraduate, I was told that the purpose of a degree course was 'to make you think'.

Theme of human reactions to fear (of the unknown)?

Perhaps also this encourages a bit of research where sometimes the answer will be, "Not this way."

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Pulcinella
            Host
            • Feb 2014

The choice of literature did not relate specifically to Josquin, the music list runs from Chant to Boulez.

You could always contact Dr Allen directly, and ask him.
            He gives his email address.
            After all, the deadline for submitting the essay was in October.
            You could even alert him to this thread: it would be interesting if he could let us all know what he was expecting!

Comment

Working...
            X