X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richardfinegold
    • Sep 2012

Rach Corelli Variations-2 Piano Version

I bought a 2 cD version of all the Rachmaninov 2 Piano Music at a yard sale. The notes of the CD were missing. There is a version of the Corelli Variations for 2 Pianos, and I always thought this was a one Piano work. Googling this was unhelpful, and the liner notes for the 1 Piano version that I have do not mention a 2 Piano Version. Can anyone shed some light on this?
  • subcontrabass
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
    I bought a 2 cD version of all the Rachmaninov 2 Piano Music at a yard sale. The notes of the CD were missing. There is a version of the Corelli Variations for 2 Pianos, and I always thought this was a one Piano work. Googling this was unhelpful, and the liner notes for the 1 Piano version that I have do not mention a 2 Piano Version. Can anyone shed some light on this?
    Are you sure that it is actually being played on two pianos, rather than being a solo piano piece put in as a filler?

Comment

• richardfinegold
      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
      Are you sure that it is actually being played on two pianos, rather than being a solo piano piece put in as a filler?
      That is a good question. I listened today on my Car CD player while driving to work and had the thought "I think there is only 1 Piano playing" but I don't really know the piece well enough to determine (I had always viewed it as one of the Composers least satisfying works and it usually fails to hold my attention).

Comment

• rauschwerk
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
        (I had always viewed it as one of the Composers least satisfying works and it usually fails to hold my attention).
        When the composer played this piece in public he would simply cut variations out as he thought necessary if the audience became restive!

Comment

• richardfinegold
          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by rauschwerk View Post
          When the composer played this piece in public he would simply cut variations out as he thought necessary if the audience became restive!
          Yes, I did learn that by Googling the piece...I guess I would have got the heavily edited version if I had been in attendance!

Comment

• Pulcinella
            Host
            • Feb 2014

Richard

I wonder if your recording is the Double Decca set, with Ashkenazy and Previn?
            If so, the track listings here might be of use.

The players are not attributed, but in the Penguin Guide it says that Ashkenazy is the soloist in the Études-tableaux and the Corelli variations.
            It likes the recording very much, and gives it four stars (maximum).

Comment

• richardfinegold
              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
              Richard

I wonder if your recording is the Double Decca set, with Ashkenazy and Previn?
              If so, the track listings here might be of use.

The players are not attributed, but in the Penguin Guide it says that Ashkenazy is the soloist in the Études-tableaux and the Corelli variations.
              It likes the recording very much, and gives it four stars (maximum).
              Thanks Pulcinella that is the set. I had never heard his 2 Piano Music before. Apparently there is less of it than I had thought! So far I am really enjoying the 2 Piano Arrangement of the Symphonic Dances....or should they be called the Two Piano Dances? It's always interesting to hear a familiar work in an unfamiliar guise

Comment

• umslopogaas
                • Nov 2010

At least some of this came out originally on LP. I have a 1975 Decca LP (SXL 6697) called Side by Side, Ashkenazy and Previn play Suite no. 1 Op. 5 - Fantasy and Suite no. 2 Op. 17. Probably Decca also issued an LP of the other two piano works mentioned above.

Comment

• Gordon
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by umslopogaas View Post
                  At least some of this came out originally on LP. I have a 1975 Decca LP (SXL 6697) called Side by Side, Ashkenazy and Previn play Suite no. 1 Op. 5 - Fantasy and Suite no. 2 Op. 17. Probably Decca also issued an LP of the other two piano works mentioned above.
                  Those Suites were recorded on 12th & 14th August 1974 at All Saints, Petersham

The Symphonic Dances Op.45 and the Russian Rhapsody in E minor were recorded on 15th/16th January 1979 atKingsway Hall ans issued on LP as SXL6926. The DD Cd pair is 444 845 2DF2.

The Corelli Variations Op42 were recorded with the Etudes-tableaux Op.39 at Kingsway Hall on 7/8th April 1972 and 26/27th January 1973 with Vladimir Ashkenazy alone. Issued on SXL 6604.

Comment

Working...
                  X