X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pastoralguy
    • Nov 2010

Neville Marriner R.I.P.

I've just seen a tweet from the LSO that breaks the sad news that Neville Marriner has died. He was 92

RIP, Sir Neville and thank you for the music.
  • BBMmk2
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

Just saw this as well, PG. A great conductor. Indeed thank you Sir Neville for all those wonderful recordings. RIP

I be playing that Vivaldi Four seasons I love
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

I remember the time when he still seemed to be 'the coming generation'.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• pastoralguy
        • Nov 2010

About 10 years ago I knew a young violinist who, successfully, auditioned for the ASMF. He told me he turned up at the rehearsal hall way too early and was greeted by an old chap who'd been setting up chairs and music stands. "Hello", said the old guy. "I'm Neville. It's a pleasure to meet you!"

My violinist acquaintance was so surprised since he'd imagined that the great Sir Neville would only attend the big events. But no, there he was, moving chairs and putting folders in stands!!

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

Sir Neville's concerts on the South Bank were always music-making of the highest order, free of posturing and pretentiousness; his output in the age of the LP absolutely prolific. I shall always remember him with affection. RIP, Sir Neville Marriner.

Comment

• doversoul1
            Ex Member
            • Dec 2010

Brandenburg Concertos by (then plain) Neville Marriner and ASMF on cassette tape was my introduction to Bach. RIP Sir Nevill.

The Guardian

Founder of Academy of St Martin in the Fields was still conducting into his 90s and his Amadeus soundtrack sold 6.5m copies

When Sir Neville turned 90
            How did a so-so violinist from Lincoln end up one of the world's greatest conductors? And will he ever slow down? As Neville Marriner hits 90, he talks to Stuart Jeffries about setting up the Academy of St Martin in the Fields orchestra, never saying no – and the teacher who had him beaten for over-gesticulating
            Last edited by doversoul1; 02-10-16, 17:09.

Comment

• gradus
              • Nov 2010

I remember him leading the LSO seconds under Monteux, Kertesz and others and the ASMF website has a fine photo of him and the other Academy founders in the late fifties. A fine musician with a deservedly high reputation.

Comment

• ardcarp
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

A close neighbour of mine and a friend. As mentioned upthread 'Nev' as everyone knew him was never high and mighty, always friendly and approachable to local music-makers. One of my fondest recollections is of visiting, and finding him glued to a Mahler score. He looked up and said, 'Oh dear I've got to conduct this in Vienna next week, and they all know far more about it than I do'. Typical of his modesty.

He certainly knew how to create and direct a world class orchestra. The 'Academy of St Martin in the Fields' actually began (as I understand it) when Jack and Jean Churchill, joint organists of that church, got together an ad hoc orchestra to perform some choral work, and Nev was playing the fiddle. He saw an opportunity to put a fine band of players on a more permanent basis...and the rest is history.

Sir Neville will be sadly missed, and we send our thoughts to his family and especially to his widow, Molly.

Comment

• Lordgeous
                  • Dec 2012

I had the honour and pleasure of having the first performance of my harpsichord Concertino directed by Sir Neville (G Malcolm & ASMF). Many happy memories of a wonderful man and a supreme musician. So many wonderful recordings. I attended some in the Kingsway Hall and to hear the brilliant Academy string sound in the flesh, in that wonderful acoustic, was thrilling. Thoughts go out to his family. The end of an era.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                    • Aug 2015

Sorry to hear this news.

Comment

• Daniel
                      • Jun 2012

Sad news. My first encounter with Mozart's D minor piano concerto was with Neville Marriner and Brendel, an LP I loved and wore thin. Coincidentally I was listening to him conduct Tippett's Concerto for Double string orchestra earlier today, a very lovely recording indeed.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                        • Nov 2010

Such sad news

RIP

Comment

• makropulos
                          • Nov 2010

Very sad news, and the end of a long and amazing musical life. RIP Sir Neville.
                          In a very cheerful home-made tribute, I'm listening to what is absolutely my favourite version of the Mozart "Coronation" Mass (Marriner/Cotrubas et al, on Argo).

Comment

• Pulcinella
                            Host
                            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Daniel View Post
                            Coincidentally I was listening to him conduct Tippett's Concerto for Double string orchestra earlier today, a very lovely recording indeed.
                            Decca (was it not originally Argo?) or EMI recording, Daniel?

Comment

• Keraulophone
                              • Nov 2010

'Our Nev'.

An icon of my early record collecting days. We will miss you and your open-hearted music making.

After much effort, the Siegfried Idyll just wasn't gelling, so they went to the pub. On their return, a wonderful take flowed from the members of the ASMF. He singled out this special recording (c/w Metamorphosen) from The Argo Years boxed set, which I'll listen to in his memory.

R.I.P.

Comment

Working...
                              X