• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hornspieler
    Late Member
    • Sep 2012

Highlights

Not exactly highlights in performance; more about highlighting important information concerning Conductors, Artists and Orchestras.

Not always neccesary, but, reading Jayne's very interesting recent post regarding the Bruckner Symphonies 1-3, it occurs to me that, particularly when comparing available or historic performances, it would be helpful if the names of artists were highlighted (red is a good colour to draw attention to important information within the context of some of the longer discussions and opinions expressed - "Building a Library" is one regular topic for discussion would be a case in point)

I think this might be a good way to draw attention to important information rather than to use underlined or bold or italics which can be used for other emphasised items.

What do you think? (Caliban has the Blues; so perhaps we should use another colour) and for me, RED. seems an obvious choice.

Worth a try?

HS
    Last edited by Hornspieler; 30-09-16, 12:15.
  • subcontrabass
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post
    Not exactly highlights in performance; more about highlighting important information concerning Conductors, Artists and Orchestras.

Not always neccesary, but, reading Jayne's very interesting recent post regarding the Bruckner Symphonies 1-3, it occurs to me that, particularly when comparing available or historic performances, it would be helpful if the names of artists were highlighted (red is a good colour to draw attention to important information within the context of some of the longer discussions and opinions expressed - "Building a Library" is one regular topic for discussion would be a case in point)

I think this might be a good way to draw attention to important information rather than to use underlined or bold or italics which can be used for other emphasised items.

What do you think? (Caliban has the Blues; so perhaps we should use another colour) and for me, RED. seems an obvious choice.

Worth a try?

HS
    For some of us with red/green colourblindness red does not stand out on screen.

Comment

• doversoul1
      Ex Member
      • Dec 2010

I prefer everybody does things in their (his/her) own way. It makes it look less like school essays.

Comment

• vinteuil
        • Nov 2010

I will not be told what to do.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
          Ex-member
          • Sep 2013

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

Same here - political correctness gone mad. I want my country back!

Comment

• ahinton
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
            Same here - political correctness gone mad. I want my country back!
            I'd initially read that as "I want my country black"! Anyway, perhaps boldface might do the trick. On a not entirely unrelated subject, what's far worse is when people upload performances to YoubiquiTube, they sometimes don't clarify who the performers are.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
              Ex-member
              • Sep 2013

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
              I'd initially read that as "I want my country black"! Anyway, perhaps boldface might do the trick. On a not entirely unrelated subject, what's far worse is when people upload performances to YoubiquiTube, they sometimes don't clarify who the performers are.
              All this underlining and red-bolding is terribly old fashioned. I think HS is being a bit square - a sort of rubric-cube.

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

Heidegger was often taken to task for the apparent impenetrability of his writing. Those who understood realised that if it was impenetrable it was for a reason - it was to make the reader stop and think and try to work out what was at issue. A too-easy, too-fluid style wd have allowed the reader to slide over the tricky bits and think that she had understood, without actually having grasped the real import.

I think the onus shd always be on the reader to read seriously what has been writ. 'Aids' like that proposed by M Hornplayer above wd tend to lead to a superficial skimming, wh I wd deplore.

Comment

• vinteuil
                  • Nov 2010

All this underlining and red-bolding is terribly old fashioned. I think HS is being a bit square - a sort of rubric-cube.
                  ... ho ho ho HO!!!!

Comment

• kernelbogey
                    • Nov 2010

Red is the colour of hyperlinks in this forum: so not a good colour for HS's purpose.

Comment

• doversoul1
                      Ex Member
                      • Dec 2010

Sorry to go off the topic but while we are on the subject of page formatting etc., R3 schedule page has gone DARK. Or is this my computer losing something? Or are we to read something into this colour change?

Comment

• vinteuil
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by doversoul1 View Post
                        Sorry to go off the topic but while we are on the subject of page formatting etc., R3 schedule page has gone DARK. Or is this my computer losing something? Or are we to read something into this colour change?
                        ... it's in mourning, 'cos it is beginning to realise how much better it all was seventy years ago.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                          • Nov 2010

Yup - on mine too. Let's hope it's someone's mistake. White out of black is notoriously hard to read (graphic designers, please note).

Comment

• Hornspieler
                            Late Member
                            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

It was a suggestion, not an order!.

If you don't agree, just ignore it. (as I tend to do with spelling, grammatical and factual mistakes; abusive replies to other forumites' posts and opinions and content which have nothing at all to do with the Title and Subject of the thread.

HS

Comment

• Daniel
                              • Jun 2012

... a sort of rubric-cube.
                              Excellent!

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                              Red is the colour of hyperlinks in this forum: so not a good colour for HS's purpose.
                              Some of those sentence/paragraph-long hyperlinks make my brain think the words exist in some other dimension than the one I'm in, which has the effect of somewhat obscuring them for me. I think this is otherwise known as stupidity.

Yes mine too. I assumed the settings on my computer had changed until I saw your message and spent several minutes fiddling around trying to change them back. So, apologies to HS, but your off topic-ness is a positive public service on this occasion!

Comment

Working...
                              X