well programmed piano recital recording?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • arthroceph
    • Oct 2012

well programmed piano recital recording?

I've been listing to the Gilels Seattle recital recently released and got to think that because the pieces are shorter,
    the make-up and order of the programme can become important.

I suppose I got interested in so-called imaginative recital programmes, where the pieces somehow "hang together", and can become more than the some of their parts.
    Has anybody any recording recommendations?

It sounds as if I'm talking prog rock albums, but I was just wondering if there was an element of that in any piano recital recordings.

Thx in adv!
  • gradus
    • Nov 2010

Carnegie Hall recitals by (in no particular order) Horowitz (several examples to enjoy), Volodos, Kissin and Pletnev feature shorter pieces alongside the heavyweight recital repertoire and are well worth seeking out. Where else to enjoy Islamey and Beethoven's last sonata in one programme. Whether these recitals 'hang together' is I guess in the ears of the listener but they work for me.
    Noting your location look out for Steven Osborne's recitals - invariably brilliantly played and with interesting programmes.

Comment

• arthroceph
      • Oct 2012

Thanks for the tips Gradus. Yes, it's very subjective .. just a wayward wondering I was going through. Cheers!

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
        • Nov 2010

How about this ?
        Teacher pupil connection.

Beethoven: 6 Bagatelles Op. 126
        Beethoven: Piano Sonata No. 30 in E major Op. 109
        Czerny: Variations on a Theme of Rode, 'La Ricordanza', Op. 33
        Czerny: Marcia funebre sulla morte di Luigi van Beethoven, Op. 146
        Liszt: Piano Sonata in B minor.

Played by Melvyn Tan,available on I player
        The same programme is available on Onyx
        Well worth a listen,especially for the LvB and Czerny,the Liszt was a bit untidy in places IMVHO

Comment

Working...
        X