• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • parkepr
    • Jul 2012

National Philharmonic Orchestra (UK)

Hi,
    Going through my CD collection I've a fair few (both Films and Classical) performed by the National Philharmonic Orchestra. I understand this was a session orchestra, but wondered how much players changed from one session to another? Is it a case that on one day for a film recording, for example, it was one set of players and a couple of days later it would be a completely different set of players for a classical recording?

Cheers
    Pete
  • Hornspieler
    Late Member
    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by parkepr View Post
    Hi,
    Going through my CD collection I've a fair few (both Films and Classical) performed by the National Philharmonic Orchestra. I understand this was a session orchestra, but wondered how much players changed from one session to another? Is it a case that on one day for a film recording, for example, it was one set of players and a couple of days later it would be a completely different set of players for a classical recording?

Cheers
    Pete
    Yes. Both Decca and EMI had their pet names to put on their record labels.

I can't remember now who used "The New Symphony Orchestra" and who used "The National Symphony Orchestra", but "National Philharmonic"? That's a new one on me!

Mainly the same group of people, but the Leader would be different and the "fixer" (the man referred to in those old-fashioned days as "The Factotum")* would recruit an orchestra at the requirements of the conductor: "See if Dennis Brain is free" (He never was)

* The man wearing the brown spats! (Sounds like a mystery novel, I might have a go at writing it.)
    He, it was, who paid out the money.

Cash on the nail** and no questions asked (except perhaps "What are you doing next Thursday?)

** "The conkers on the counter" as my friend the late Jimmy Buck, would have said.

Coffee time for me. Have a nice day!

HS

Comment

• silvestrione
      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post
      Yes. Both Decca and EMI had their pet names to put on their record labels.

I can't remember now who used "The New Symphony Orchestra" and who used "The National Symphony Orchestra", but "National Philharmonic"? That's a new one on me!

Mainly the same group of people, but the Leader would be different and the "fixer" (the man referred to in those old-fashioned days as "The Factotum")* would recruit an orchestra at the requirements of the conductor: "See if Dennis Brain is free" (He never was)

* The man wearing the brown spats! (Sounds like a mystery novel, I might have a go at writing it.)
      He, it was, who paid out the money.

Cash on the nail** and no questions asked (except perhaps "What are you doing next Thursday?)

** "The conkers on the counter" as my friend the late Jimmy Buck, would have said.

Coffee time for me. Have a nice day!

HS
      Wonderfully entertaining reply, thanks, Hornspieler! As good as a good cup of coffee (praise indeed from me...)

Comment

• richardfinegold
        • Sep 2012

Stowkowski made many of his last recordings with the National Philharmonic. Of course, he made them sound like The Philadelphia Orchestra in it's prime. My favorite was a coupling of Bizet Suites from Carmen and L'Arlesiane...arranged by Stokie, of course...and a coupling of Bizet Symphony and Mendelssohn Italian Symphony

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by silvestrione View Post
          Wonderfully entertaining reply, thanks, Hornspieler! As good as a good cup of coffee (praise indeed from me...)

Seconded!

"...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• parkepr
            • Jul 2012

Thanks all for your replies... I've got a collection of overtures with Stokowski and National Philharmonic, I've never heard a Leonore 3 like it... I'm sure the timpanist is actually going to cut through the skin of his drums at the end!!

I've also got some Charles Gehardt (who seems like a latter day John Wilson) albums, with each focusing on a film composer, The Herrmann disc is especially good...

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by parkepr View Post
              Thanks all for your replies... I've got a collection of overtures with Stokowski and National Philharmonic, I've never heard a Leonore 3 like it... I'm sure the timpanist is actually going to cut through the skin of his drums at the end!!

I've also got some Charles Gehardt (who seems like a latter day John Wilson) albums, with each focusing on a film composer, The Herrmann disc is especially good...
              I remember an LP of the Bartok violin concerto with Gerhard. His wife, IIRC was the violinist. Both concertos were well played and recorded as far as my ears could judge at the time.

Comment

• Pianoman
                • Jan 2013

I have most of the film music series with the National Phil under Charles Gerhardt - the playing is stunning on every one ! The original LPs had lots of photos from the sessions and showed people like Barry Tuckwell and John Wilbraham leading sections. I used to use the Hermann disc's 'On Dangerous Ground' with Tuckwell leading the 12 horns as a demo disc, and equally the Waxman disc had superb music from 'Taras Bulba' and 'Prince Valiant' - it was a landmark series and made me look out for the National Philharmonic from then on. There's a great Wagner disc under Gerhardt that is still demo quality for playing and recording (Kenny Wilkinson...say no more)

Comment

• Barbirollians
                  • Nov 2010

They also appear on the Decca recording of Boito Mefistofele

Comment

• Conchis
                    Banned
                    • Jun 2014

Wasn't this band often led by one Sydney (sp.?) Sax (sounds like a pseudonym)?

Other operatic recordings included the Levine/Domingo Otello and Cavalleria Rusticana on RCA, as well as a Decca Tosca and an RCA Boheme (Solti's only two recorded ventures into Puccini territory).

Those Stokowski discs are indeed excellent, including the one with Leonore 3 mentioned above: it also contains a Don Giovanni overture which incorporates music from the finale of the opera.

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Conchis View Post
                      Wasn't this band often led by one Sydney (sp.?) Sax (sounds like a pseudonym)?

Comment

• Once Was 4
                        • Jul 2011

Sidney Sax was certainly not a pseudonym! As I think that I said on this forum recently, the onetime orchestral manager at Opera North was a regular on Mr Sax's gigs and bought the New Symphony Orchestra trading name from him but I do not think that he ever used it.
                        Last edited by Once Was 4; 20-09-16, 20:41.

Comment

• Hornspieler
                          Late Member
                          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Once Was 4 View Post
                          Sidney Sax was certainly not a pseudonym! As I think that I said on this forum recently, the onetime orchestral manager at Opera North was a regular on Mr Sax's gigs and bought the New Symphony Orchestra trading name from him but I do not think that he ever used it.
                          Sid Sax was the fixer for Mantovani's Orchestra and also the Leader.
                          The late "Conkers on the Counter" Jimmy Buck (senior) was Manti's regular horn player.

Jimmy's son was a very good horn player but had inherited quite a few his dad's linguistic and commercial behavour.

Here's a story told to me by the then manager of the RPO, where Young Jimmy was deputising as a replacement for the absent 3rd horn:

The RPO had just arrived for a tour of America and were sitting in the Airport Lounge awaiting their bus.

Malcolm, the manager appeared.

"Gentlemen, I hope you all had a pleasant flight. The local press are here andwould like to take a photograph of the orchestra in front of the airport terminal ... Oh, and would you please all have your instruments with you"

Jimmy rose to his feet and advanced towards Malcolm, tapping his horn case.

"The minute this case is opened" he said, "the meter goes on!"

"Conkers on the counter", you see? Like father - like son.

Enjoy your coffee.

HS
                          Last edited by Hornspieler; 21-09-16, 10:23. Reason: Typos

Comment

• Hornspieler
                            Late Member
                            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Once Was 4 View Post
                            There was another Factotum - Syd Margo.

Then, of course, there was Jack Simmons, whose Leader was usually one Tony English - I always used to envy him his lovely Alvis 14 Drop Head Coupé.

All to be found at the Orchestral Players' Association, which, like its jazz counterpart was in Archer Street (handy for the Windmill Theatre!)

Comment

Working...
                            X