X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richardfinegold
    • Sep 2012

Quobuz and Universal Music Group

I know that several Forumites use Quobuz. I haven't tried it myself but have glanced at the Interface.
    Having just signed up for ClassicsOnline I am reluctant to try a free trial period, as these digital 'freebies' have a habit with me of passing the expiration date and then sinking their teeth into my credit card.
    My question is what is the availability of the Universal Music Group (for my purposes, Phillips/DG/Decca and their associated affiliates)? The absence of Universal from ClassicsOnline is it's only weakness
  • jayne lee wilson
    Banned
    • Jul 2011

Go to Qobuz.
    Search for: Decca, Deutsche Grammophon, Universal Music GmbH....

"I'm just going in. I may be some time.....

"

Comment

• richardfinegold
      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
      Go to Qobuz.
      Search for: Decca, Deutsche Grammophon, Universal Music GmbH....

"I'm just going in. I may be some time.....

"
      I actually did that, and didn't get an answer....and I didn't want to take out a free trial membership to find out for reasons listed above. When I did the search all I got was a lot of rubbish about which Hip Hop Artists for Universal would be streaming and which were opting out

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

Chailly Brahms Symphonies - Decca - http://player.qobuz.com/#!/track/11630412

Mahan Estafani - Bach Goldberg Variations - DG - http://player.qobuz.com/#!/album/0002894795932

The Chailly Brahms does sound rather good.

Over to you.

Comment

• richardfinegold
          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
          Chailly Brahms Symphonies - Decca - http://player.qobuz.com/#!/track/11630412

Mahan Estafani - Bach Goldberg Variations - DG - http://player.qobuz.com/#!/album/0002894795932

The Chailly Brahms does sound rather good.

Over to you.
          Thanks And are the back catalogs represented--all the Haitink and Von Karajan recordings from 60s and 70s, for example?

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
            Thanks And are the back catalogs represented--all the Haitink and Von Karajan recordings from 60s and 70s, for example?
            An earlier Karajan - http://player.qobuz.com/#!/album/0825646244195

and maybe a later one - http://player.qobuz.com/#!/album/0002894793782

and this from 1961 - http://player.qobuz.com/#!/album/3770003441823 Holst: Planets

Haitink

More than 100 million tracks available for unlimited streaming in high sound quality. Qobuz is also the worldwide leader in 24-Bit Hi-Res downloads.

http://player.qobuz.com/#!/album/0002894757413 Shostakovich

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

I think rfg means the "DG" boxed sets "Karajan: the 60s"/"'70s"/"'80s"/"the Operas"?

Using the search engine from Dave's link, I found the '60s box (by putting "Karajan, the 60s" in the Search box - "Karajan the 1960s" didn't work):

More than 100 million tracks available for unlimited streaming in high sound quality. Qobuz is also the worldwide leader in 24-Bit Hi-Res downloads.

... but good luck sorting out the tracks there!
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                Banned
                • Jul 2011

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                I actually did that, and didn't get an answer....and I didn't want to take out a free trial membership to find out for reasons listed above. When I did the search all I got was a lot of rubbish about which Hip Hop Artists for Universal would be streaming and which were opting out
                Here's the result of my search for Decca -

Qobuz is the world leader in 24-bit Hi-Res downloads, offering more than 100 million tracks for streaming in unequalled sound quality (FLAC 16 Bits / 44.1kHz)

And Deutsche Grammophon -

Qobuz is the world leader in 24-bit Hi-Res downloads, offering more than 100 million tracks for streaming in unequalled sound quality (FLAC 16 Bits / 44.1kHz)

It's all there....! I guess you are going through "streaming"? I don't use it, only try/buy downloads, so this search comes after I choose "download" then "classical".
                Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 16-09-16, 17:31.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                  • Nov 2010

Having recently downloaded the new Benjamin Grosvenor album (and Andris Nelsons's DSCH 5/8/9 before that), I know that they have wide access to the Universal stable of labels - Decca, DG, Mercury etc. Anyway, as an experiment, I signed up for the free 15 days of streaming - and, yes, there seems to be a fairly full representation of the Universal back catalogue available. Quite how one navigates through it, though, God alone knows. Anyway, the content RFG is looking for does appear to be there (Bryn should be your expert on this as he has/had a "Sublime" subscription, judging from various posts in which he has referred to it). It was also very easy to unsubscribe - whew!

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                    Having recently downloaded the new Benjamin Grosvenor album (and Andris Nelsons's DSCH 5/8/9 before that), I know that they have wide access to the Universal stable of labels - Decca, DG, Mercury etc. Anyway, as an experiment, I signed up for the free 15 days of streaming - and, yes, there seems to be a fairly full representation of the Universal back catalogue available. Quite how one navigates through it, though, God alone knows. Anyway, the content RFG is looking for does appear to be there (Bryn should be your expert on this as he has/had a "Sublime" subscription, judging from various posts in which he has referred to it). It was also very easy to unsubscribe - whew!

Not guilty! I did try to get them to upgrade me from my basic 320kbps mp3 stream sub. last year (before their financial rescue), but they said it could only be done at the end of a subscription period. I might try again, offering them the option of upgrading me or losing my custom.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                      I think rfg means the "DG" boxed sets "Karajan: the 60s"/"'70s"/"'80s"/"the Operas"?

Using the search engine from Dave's link, I found the '60s box (by putting "Karajan, the 60s" in the Search box - "Karajan the 1960s" didn't work):

... but good luck sorting out the tracks there!
                      No, sorry about any misunderstanding , I just wanted to know if Quobuz has the Universal Catalog. Whether boxed sets or singles, available for streaming.
                      I am now using ClassicsOnline, which has virtually all the contemporary labels such as Chandos, BR, Naxos, along with Sony/RCA and EMI. It streams at CD or High Rez quality and one can purchase downloads. From what I have seen of the Quobuz interface, ClassicsOnline is much better. It's major omission is that it lacks the DG/Decca/Phillips catalog. However, after 40 years or collecting recordings I probably have most of what would interest me from the Universal Music Group, so I can withstand the absence

Comment

Working...
                      X