• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Conchis
    Banned
    • Jun 2014

Henze: El Cimarron

I picked up a (the only?) recording of this last week. It originally appeared on DG in 1970 - the composer 'leading' (if that's the word) a group of four musicians - reciter William Pearson, guitarist Leo Brouwer, flautist Karlheinz Zoeller and percussionist Stomu Yamachi. The presence of the last intrigued me, as I more readily associate him with his work with Steve Winwood.

It is a seventy-five minute 'recital' of a prose-poem about a liberated slave. Unhelpfully, no text or translation is included in the reissue.

On the basis of one listen, I'm intrigued enough to give it another go at some point. I get the impression Henze encourage those involved to put their own spin on things.

Anyone else heard this - and, if so, any opinions?
  • Richard Barrett
    • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Conchis View Post
    I picked up a (the only?) recording of this last week. It originally appeared on DG in 1970 - the composer 'leading' (if that's the word) a group of four musicians - reciter William Pearson, guitarist Leo Brouwer, flautist Karlheinz Zoeller and percussionist Stomu Yamachi. The presence of the last intrigued me, as I more readily associate him with his work with Steve Winwood.

It is a seventy-five minute 'recital' of a prose-poem about a liberated slave. Unhelpfully, no text or translation is included in the reissue.

On the basis of one listen, I'm intrigued enough to give it another go at some point. I get the impression Henze encourage those involved to put their own spin on things.

Anyone else heard this - and, if so, any opinions?
    It isn't the only recording (there's also a CD on Wergo of an English version, for example), but it is the one made with Henze's collaboration. the score indeed leaves varying amounts of space for the performers to improvise, and of course Brouwer and Yamash'ta are accomplished composers in their own right as well as virtuoso instrumentalists. William Pearson collaborated with many of the most progressive composers of the time, and Karlheinz Zöller was for many years principal flautist at the Berlin Philharmonic.

I find it a very moving piece, one of Henze's most original and expressive. I've seen a couple of performances of it, and it has a powerful effect in the theatre or concert hall, enhanced by involving only four musicians rather than the resources of an opera house/ If you understand German the text is easy to follow; if not, I'd recommend getting hold of the translation somehow, since the narrative is really central to the work.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

I don't know El Cimarron at all - but you might also be interested in another disc of Stomu Yamsash'ta performing "non-Winwood" repertoire:

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Conchis
        Banned
        • Jun 2014

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
        I don't know El Cimarron at all - but you might also be interested in another disc of Stomu Yamsash'ta performing "non-Winwood" repertoire:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stomu-Yamashta/dp/B00000E4J0
        Thanks for that. I was unaware of the Henze connection and only associated him with with jazz-rock. Will definitely investigate.

Comment

• Conchis
          Banned
          • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
          It isn't the only recording (there's also a CD on Wergo of an English version, for example), but it is the one made with Henze's collaboration. the score indeed leaves varying amounts of space for the performers to improvise, and of course Brouwer and Yamash'ta are accomplished composers in their own right as well as virtuoso instrumentalists. William Pearson collaborated with many of the most progressive composers of the time, and Karlheinz Zöller was for many years principal flautist at the Berlin Philharmonic.

I find it a very moving piece, one of Henze's most original and expressive. I've seen a couple of performances of it, and it has a powerful effect in the theatre or concert hall, enhanced by involving only four musicians rather than the resources of an opera house/ If you understand German the text is easy to follow; if not, I'd recommend getting hold of the translation somehow, since the narrative is really central to the work.
          Thanks for the info. I've just discovered this very recent performance, given live in Salford, of the piece in English:

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Conchis View Post
            Thanks for that. I was unaware of the Henze connection and only associated him with with jazz-rock. Will definitely investigate.
            He was also on the DG of Henze's "The Tedious Way to the Apartment of Natascha Ungeheuer", from that same period - which still blows me away when I listen to it, to this day. Includes some of the most phenomental brass ensemble writing ever, in my estimation.

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Anyone considering the 16 CD box of DG Henze recordings are advised to look on amazon.it (ASIN: B00CTKYO6U) where the set is significantly cheaper than I have found it elsewhere.

Comment

• Alison
                • Nov 2010

This is the sort of work the Proms should be featuring - as it did back in the mid seventies I believe.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                  • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                  Henze's "The Tedious Way to the Apartment of Natascha Ungeheuer", from that same period - which still blows me away when I listen to it, to this day. Includes some of the most phenomental brass ensemble writing ever, in my estimation.
                  That is also a great piece to be sure, although the text is a bit less easy to get to grips with than in El Cimarrón! Another wonderful thing from the same period is his 6th Symphony.

Comment

Working...
                  X