X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tetrachord
    • Apr 2016

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
    I will just say it again ! Jurinac . Schwarzkopf's feeling for the text plus singing as beautiful as that of Janowitz
    I can't seem to find a sample of Juranic anywhere on U-Tube.

Comment

• Lordgeous
      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
      Alan Blyth in Gramophone on Busch/Stockholm:
      Never on any commercial or 'private' recording have I heard the lovely quality of Jurinac's voice as I recall it in the theatre or concert hall, caught as it is here. And when you come to think of it the voice might have been made for this music. The inner glow, the spirituality, the sheer ease of the singing are quite remarkable. Jurinac fills the big climaxes of the third and fourth songs with the kind of rapt, emotional intensity they deserve and catches the autumnal regrets of all four songs unerringly, yet it is all done without any kind of effort, any suggestions of 'giving a performance'.
      Oh dear, looks as though I'm going to have to shell out for yet another version!

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by Tetrachord View Post
        I can't seem to find a sample of Juranic? anywhere on U-Tube.
        Lots - it's Jurinac, perhaps You Tube did not recognise Juranic? - here's Im Abendtrot (with Sargent not Busch). And this is a 1958 recording - doesn't say which conductor?

Gorgeous excerpt from Salzburg Festival premiere of R'kavalier with Jurinac, Schwarzkopf and Anneliese Rothenberger () in Tony Palmer's film The Salzburg Festival (on DVD). Interesting life story, plus the story of her stage name, here.

Comment

• Tetrachord
          • Apr 2016

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
          Lots - it's Jurinac, perhaps You Tube did not recognise Juranic? - here's Im Abendtrot (with Sargent not Busch). And this is a 1958 recording - doesn't say which conductor?

Gorgeous excerpt from Salzburg Festival premiere of R'kavalier with Jurinac, Schwarzkopf and Anneliese Rothenberger () in Tony Palmer's film The Salzburg Festival (on DVD). Interesting life story, plus the story of her stage name, here.
          Thanks so much!! I made a typo on the name but will need to take more care. According to the U-Tube link on the 1958 recording it says Rudolf Schwarz is the conductor. Never heard of him!!

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

I think Hornspieler is the man to tell you more about Rudolf Schwarz! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudolf...rz_(conductor)

Comment

• Barbirollians
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Tetrachord View Post
              I can't seem to find a sample of Juranic anywhere on U-Tube.
              1951, StockholmFritz Busch conducts the Stockholm Philharmonic OrchestraIm Abendrot (At Sunset) (Text: Joseph von Eichendorff)Wir sind durch Not und Freudege...

Comment

• Tetrachord
                • Apr 2016

Thanks. Got it. Also had a listen to Flagstad with WF and found this documentary about her (which I've seen before), in case anyone is interested:

Documentary from Norwegian TV with some rare footage in colors and interviews.

Comment

• Tetrachord
                  • Apr 2016

I've finally gone for the Lucia Popp/Klaus Tennstedt "Vier Letzte Lieder", but the one with CSO/Solti/Popp in live concert is pretty good too.

Comment

• Pianophile
                    • Dec 2010

Having previously said that Schwarzkopf does nothing for me, I found (in a charity shop) a live FLS with the Philharmonia under Karajan at the RFH in 1956 and I'm hooked!
                    The songs are not performed in the published order and end with 'September' with a gorgeous horn solo. Could this be Dennis Brain? There's also a lovely fiddle solo in 'Beim Schlafengehen'. Manoug Parikian perhaps?
                    Have any other forumites heard this? It's worth seeking out IMO.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Pianophile View Post
                      Having previously said that Schwarzkopf does nothing for me, I found (in a charity shop) a live FLS with the Philharmonia under Karajan at the RFH in 1956 and I'm hooked!
                      The songs are not performed in the published order and end with 'September' with a gorgeous horn solo. Could this be Dennis Brain? There's also a lovely fiddle solo in 'Beim Schlafengehen'. Manoug Parikian perhaps?
                      Have any other forumites heard this? It's worth seeking out IMO.
                      I owned it when it first appeared - I agree that ES is on better form here than in many of her studio recordings; less "arch", greater spontaneity - but it was one of the victims of a "downsizing" twenty-five years ago that was welcome at the time, but deeply regretted ever since. Still didn't reach the heights that Gundula takes me to.

But I think that you must be right about who the instrumental soloists must be - I doubt that Karajan would accept a "second eleven" team from his own orchestra
                      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• gurnemanz
                        • Nov 2010

On reading above contributions, a memory came back to me of hearing Kiri do it in a live broadcast on Radio 3 in 1970. I had recently got to know the work via an LP with Lisa della Casa. I can remember it illuminating a winter evening in my student bedsit.

I even found it in the Radio Times archive.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                          I even found it in the Radio Times archive.
                          ... I wonder whatever became of the "Unknown Contributor", Ein Helden?
                          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• MickyD
                            • Nov 2010

I seem to recall many people raving over this version when it first came out. I never heard it, though.

Comment

• cloughie
                              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                              I seem to recall many people raving over this version when it first came out. I never heard it, though.

Yes it's good though for me does not replace Fliss at no 1.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                                • Nov 2010

Yes a very good record although my favourites remain Jurinac, della Casa and Janowitz

Re the 1956 live Karajan I do not know it but see it has been sneaked in at the back of the Warner Edition Bach,Beethoven, Brahms choral music 5 CD box .

Amazon this morning were selling that box for £8.99 ! I do not know the Bach or Beethoven Missa Solemnis but it includes his outstanding early recording of the Brahms Requiem and Ferrier's solos from the live B Minor Mass which Schwarzkoof reported was the only time she saw HVK in tears so a good buy I reckon .

Comment

Working...
                                X