• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BBMmk2
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

J S Bach died 28/07/1750

I saw this on the "Book of Face"(as Cali calls it() and I thought a pause for reflection on this man's great output for music! Whether it be his own personal playing or the great music he wrote. At the moment I am playing Busoni's marvellous transcription of the great chaconne in D minor. Where did this particular work spring from? It's like no other in that particular work's structure. Quite extraordinary. does anyone have ideas? Be quite interesting.
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750
  • BBMmk2
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

I corrected it, EA Mind you it be worth discussing the famous chaconne from the Partita No.2, wasn't it? This is quite an extraordinary work, stands well on it's own. whether in JSB's own version or Busoni's transcription.
    Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Busoni's desire for the piano to play the lowest Bach organ notes was the catalyst for Bosendorfer to add extra bass notes to some of their pianos.

Comment

• BBMmk2
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

That's the one thing I am not too sure about Busoni's transcription! Not ideal on piano, in that version of it, imo. I do rather like Joachim Raff's transcription, which is featured on a Chandos recording with Slatkin conducting a top form BBC PO!

It's one of those works, that seem to perpetuate the reason for researching and maybe finding the perfection solution for a medium that suits it, apart from the original solo violin. But then, having said this, it does seem to reach out beyond this? Hence all these people who have written other transcriptions of this work. Maybe there is no particular perfect, instrumentation for this work? Certainly an enigma.
        Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
          Busoni's desire for the piano to play the lowest Bach organ notes was the catalyst for Bosendorfer to add extra bass notes to some of their pianos.
          I wonder if anyone can sing along to them?

Comment

• Gordon
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
            ........... the great chaconne in D minor. Where did this particular work spring from? It's like no other in that particular work's structure. Quite extraordinary. does anyone have ideas?
            I seem to remember that it is conncted with the death of his first wife - she died while he was away on a trip with his employer. It's supposed to have lots of musical and other allusions in it. There wasa R4 programme about it some years ago.

Comment

• BBMmk2
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

Ah yes, I seem to remember there being a programme about this on TV as well. It was saying how JSB was away at the time of his wife's unfortunate passing and so this is why it's quite an enigmatic work(for me at any rate). It's Bach's tribute to his wife, a Requiem, maybe, to her?
              Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Gordon View Post
                I seem to remember that it is connected with the death of his first wife - she died while he was away on a trip with his employer. It's supposed to have lots of musical and other allusions in it. There was a R4 programme about it some years ago.
                This disc sets out that musical thesis https://www.amazon.co.uk/Morimur-Hil...rtita+hilliard
                I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• BBMmk2
                  Late Member
                  • Nov 2010

Duly ordered. be interested to hear this, in context.
                  Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                  X