X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Richard Tarleton
    • Sep 2024

RIP Alirio Díaz, 1923-2016

One of the great classical guitarists of the last century has died aged 92 - the Venezuelan Alirio Díaz.. A great life. I saw him in London just the once, in 1973. Astonishing technique - I was amazed by his huge hands. Here he is playing Antonio Lauro's Seis por Derecho.

• johnb
    • Mar 2007

Sad news.

I saw him give a recital at Bristol's Colston Hall in the late '60s/early '70s. Impressive technically but I thought it rather bland musically, perhaps it was too subtle for me.

Thanks for the link to the video. To be honest, if I had a choice between listening to it again or having canal root treatment it would be a toss up. It is the type of music and type of performance that I intensely dislike.
    Last edited by johnb; 06-07-16, 19:35.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by johnb View Post
      It is the type of music and type of performance that I intensely dislike.
      Not the sort of comment one can take exception to, though I do feel otherwise: the style and straightforward virtuosity are - for me - quite engrossing. What does the title mean - is it a study for the right hand? Derecha is right hand, isn't it, not derecho? Or some other allusion?
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        Not the sort of comment one can take exception to, though I do feel otherwise: the style and straightforward virtuosity are - for me - quite engrossing. What does the title mean - is it a study for the right hand? Derecha is right hand, isn't it, not derecho? Or some other allusion?
        From the sleeve notes to John Williams's disc of Venezuelan music El diablo suelto - he talks about the cross-fertilization of Spanish, Indian and African music that goes to make up Venezuelan music - e.g. the use of 3/4 and 6/8 rhythms simultaneously and with other cross-rhythms. The Seis was an ancient dance for 6 pairs of dancers on Corpus Christi day, which is transformed into Seis por derecho which is a joropo, one of the most popular Venezuelan dances, which in turn descended from the Spanish fandango. I hope that's all clear

John Williams says how he first met Alirio Diaz when he (JW) was a boy of 12 attending Segovia's summer school in Siena - Diaz helped with the teaching. He excelled at the classical as well as Latin American repertoire - I used to have LPs of his including his record of the Rodrigo and Giuliani concertos. Though I was (perhaps like John) struck by the facility and velocity of his playing more than the interpretative depth.

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
          The Seis was an ancient dance for 6 pairs of dancers on Corpus Christi day, which is transformed into Seis por derecho which is a joropo, one of the most popular Venezuelan dances, which in turn descended from the Spanish fandango. I hope that's all clear
          -ish! I was trying to make it 'Six studies for right hand, but it didn't really convince.
          Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
          Though I was (perhaps like John) struck by the facility and velocity of his playing more than the interpretative depth.
          I didn't really come across him as more than a name, so I couldn't comment on his performance in music that had more depth. I associate him more with the Latin American repertoire.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
          X