Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EdgeleyRob
    • Nov 2010

Evgeny Kissin does a mean Prélude, Choral et Fugue.
    (I got the man himself to sign my copy of the CD too )

Comment

• Barbirollians
      • Nov 2010

You could also try the Symphonic variations for piano and orchestra but they do appear to bring some members of this forum out in a rash

Comment

• BBMmk2
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

Admittedly, there is not much of Franck's music I do like, apart from his chamber and organ music, that's about it!
        Don’t cry for me
        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• gurnemanz
          • Nov 2010

Organ music is not my favourite listening, but I have a fine disc of piano solo music from Sergio Fiorentino, which I have played a lot. It includes a transcription of one of his organ pieces.

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by makropulos View Post
            Franck beyond the sonata. A few suggestions:

Piano Quintet (my favourite recording isCurzon/Vienna Octet on Decca)
            Symphonic variations
            Rédemption (complete; the Plasson recording on EMI)
            Symphony - among others, I very much like Boult's recording (reissued in the EMI Great Conductors Boult set).
            Organ music, the Olivier Latry disc mentioned already by HighlandDougie is excellent.
            I note that Redemption was the opening item on TtN last night, though without the narration found in the Plasson recording:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07h6cn0

Last edited by Bryn; 27-06-16, 10:59.

Comment

• Keraulophone
              • Nov 2010

Franck's organ music, and the organs he composed for, are explored in depth on this luxurious set of 2 DVDs and 2 CDs:

The String Quartet really got under my skin by its use in a BBC dramatisation about Proust, played by Alan Bates, who hires a string quartet to play at his home and takes a fancy to its war-wounded violist. Having tried several, my preferred recording is by the Fitzwilliam Quartet on Decca Eloquence from 1978.
              Marcel Proust hires a string quartet and befriends the war-wounded viola player.

Comment

Working...
              X