X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tetrachord
    • Apr 2016

Vienna Philharmonic Archives

I just found this; I know the VPO has been busy on their archives for some time now. But you'll see the programs all set out from the 1840s (depending on your search criteria), which later include Brahms as conductor, and some of his works on the programs! Oh, doesn't this absolutely enliven the experience - actually seeing the name right there!!! Also Liszt and Wagner appear as conductors.

Last edited by Tetrachord; 07-06-16, 12:16.
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Tetrachord View Post
    I just found this; I know the VPO has been busy on their archives for some time now. But you'll see the programs all set out from the 1840s (depending on your search criteria), which later include Brahms as conductor, and some of his works on the programs! Oh, doesn't this absolutely enliven the experience - actually seeing the name right there!!! Also Liszt and Wagner appear as conductors.

https://www.wienerphilharmoniker.at/converts/archive
    ...and of course Mahler and Richard Strauss.

Comment

• Tetrachord
      • Apr 2016

Yes, I'd quite forgotten those two. I'm sure I'll think of others too. What a resource!!

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Bruckner too, though may have wished to forget the disastrous premiere of his 3rd symphony.

Comment

• Petrushka
          • Nov 2010

Think I started a thread on this a while back but it failed to generate much response.

The trouble with these orchestra archives is that it's not very long before you pick up an error or two and I found several which differed from the information given on commercial recordings on DG in terms of date and location. It's a while since I last looked and I've forgotten exactly how many I found but two I remember off the top of my head are: June 1 1969 Schoenberg Pelleas und Melisande conducted by Karl Böhm - DG have this as taking place in the Musikverein while the VPO Archive has it in the Konzerthaus across the road; Strauss Der Rosenkavalier July 27 1969 conducted by Karl Böhm at Salzburg - this is not listed in the archive at all. DG might have these wrong of course but it's all basic information.

I've been spending more time looking at the Concertgebouw Archive which is a model of its kind. No errors spotted as yet but then I've few live commercial recordings to match off with it. Interesting to see that Haitink conducted Mahler 3 as long ago as March 1958!!
          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Tetrachord
            • Apr 2016

I would trust Austrian record keeping over that of a recording company. The VPO regularly appears at BOTH the Musikverein and the Konzerthaus. In my experience it's possible for the same works to be played in both venues within a short space of time.

Incidentally, I used to catch the tram to Grinzing - which is the end of the line at the foothills of the vineyards in Vienna - and the last home of one Dr. Karl Bohm is there on a main street. There's a plaque on the outside of a white building stating the years Bohm lived there and it's an elegant residence indeed.

(I cannot get an umlaut function to work.)

Comment

• Petrushka
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Tetrachord View Post
              I would trust Austrian record keeping over that of a recording company. The VPO regularly appears at BOTH the Musikverein and the Konzerthaus. In my experience it's possible for the same works to be played in both venues within a short space of time.

Incidentally, I used to catch the tram to Grinzing - which is the end of the line at the foothills of the vineyards in Vienna - and the last home of one Dr. Karl Bohm is there on a main street. There's a plaque on the outside of a white building stating the years Bohm lived there and it's an elegant residence indeed.

(I cannot get an umlaut function to work.)
              I've taken the underground train to Grinzing and after a hard uphill walk found the cemetery where Mahler is buried. As a bonus I also found the grave of Professor Leopold Nowak of Bruckner edition fame. It's delightful countryside and I'd love to go back.

The umlaut is alt+148 ö. alt+132 ä, alt+129 ü. Not sure of the capital letter equivalent but someone will know.
              "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Tetrachord
                • Apr 2016

Thanks for that!!

I've also located that Mahler grave at Grinzing. It's the penultimate tram stop before "end station" and then a walk up to your left from there, along the main street - about 750m - 1km from that tram stop (for anyone who wants to check it out).

I was reading some shocking things about Bohm and his Nazi connections on Slipped Disc today, with postings from December, 2015. And some dreadful comments also about the Wiener Philharmoniker and the Austrians in general. When I lived there I learned a lot I didn't know before about what went on in that city between two world wars and, trust me, it wasn't pretty. But it does partially explain Hitler's popularity.

Comment

Working...
                X