• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
    I note that two Hosts have mentioned the BBC Singers....and got away with it.
    We're just just doing our civic duty, giving' em a bit o' publicity.

(We'd never have got away with it on The Choir.)

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
      Not heard or seen any of it so no comment.
      Plenty happening down here. Well covered by Radio Cornwall, BBC Spotlight and The One Show, R3 went to Hall for Cornwall for what Cali cynically called R3 becomes R2. Duran Duran (OK I never liked them either), Nile Rodgers and others at Eden, and the Bridge theme celebrated at Saltash.

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
        Plenty happening down here.
        Plenty happening here too, I gather, and I'm sure a lot of people enjoyed it - which wholly justifies doing it. But for me the jolly razzmatazz of it all gets in the way of the music, and I slightly resent a 'Music Day' that offers me so little.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
          Plenty happening here too, I gather, and I'm sure a lot of people enjoyed it - which wholly justifies doing it. But for me the jolly razzmatazz of it all gets in the way of the music, and I slightly resent a 'Music Day' that offers me so little.
          But then it is Music Day which should encompass all music and encourage a wide range of listeners and importantly participants - not just the pick and mix bits we like personally or think of as Radio 3 music.

Comment

• ardcarp
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

Plenty happening down here. Well covered by Radio Cornwall, BBC Spotlight and The One Show, R3 went to Hall for Cornwall for what Cali cynically called R3 becomes R2. Duran Duran (OK I never liked them either), Nile Rodgers and others at Eden, and the Bridge theme celebrated at Saltash.
            So you're well choughed, cloughie?

Comment

• Zucchini
              • Nov 2010

But then it is Music Day which should encompass all music and encourage a wide range of listeners and importantly participants - not just the pick and mix bits we like personally or think of as Radio 3 music.
              Absolutely right

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

I think my comment about it being 'wholly justifie[d]' covers most of that in spirit. That a Music Day should be 'importantly' about participants is simply one possibility - not a necessity. I would quarrel with your phrase 'the pick and mix bits we like personally or think of as Radio 3 music' since I feel that Radio 3, at least, should come a bit closer to that. I would have liked there to be, for example, a really good 'Radio 3' evening concert, rather than something that was just significantly better than last year's but not really very exciting - I would venture - for a lot of Radio 3 listeners.

But added to that, I think it (tragically) laughable for 'classical music' to be branded as some posh elitist type of music which is unpardonably not 'inclusive', 'excluding the majority', when we see the BBC 95% of the time excluding it from anywhere but Radio 3 which means that your 'wide range of listeners' seldom gets to hear it.
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Doesn't that mean that Musics from the Western Classical Traditions ought to feature on Radios 1, 2, & 6 alongside the "pick & mix bits" that their regular listeners "personally like to think of as Radio 1/2/6 Music"? Does this eclecticism feature on those other BBC Music channels?
                  Last edited by ferneyhoughgeliebte; 04-06-16, 13:40.
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                    Doesn't that mean that Musics from the Western Classical Traditions ought to feature on Radios 1, 2, & 6 alongside the "pick & mix bits" that their regular listeners "personally like or think of as Radio 1/2/6 Music"? Does this eclecticism feature on those other BBC Music channels?
                    Precisely.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Doesn't that mean that Musics from the Western Classical Traditions ought to feature on Radios 1, 2, & 6 alongside the "pick & mix bits" that their regular listeners "personally like or think of as Radio 1/2/6 Music"? Does this eclecticism feature on those other BBC Music channels?
                      That's my question too. Not listening to the other stations, does anyone know if they play Bach... Adès... Debussy on those stations to celebrate Music Day? I suspect not, but I'm open to correction (if I may paraphrase John Whittingdale)...
                      "...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• greenilex
                        • Nov 2010

Defining our terms, "day" is easy enough but the other one is trickier...those pesky Muses confusing us all again in their witchy way...

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                          That's my question too. Not listening to the other stations, does anyone know if they play Bach... Adès... Debussy on those stations to celebrate Music Day? I suspect not, but I'm open to correction (if I may paraphrase John Whittingdale)...
                          What we do know, to the contrary, Radio 2 which used to feature the 'Classic FM' end of classical music has now virtually dropped it. Your Hundred Best Tunes and Melodies for You were ditched as no longer being cool; Friday Night Is Music Night with the BBC Concert Orchestra now a hotch potch which is more likely to focus on films and musicals than classical music. Yesterday, obviously, was BBC Music Day so it was Duran Duran headlining Eden; but the week before it was:

March: Raiders of The Lost Ark
                          Concerning Hobbits
                          Stars (Les Miserables)
                          Finale - William Tell Overture
                          I'm Not That Girl
                          Huckleberry Fin (Mississippi)
                          Harry's Wondrous World
                          The Circle Of Life (The Lion King)
                          Batman Theme (Batman Suite)
                          Sinbad And His Ship (Scheherazade)
                          Superman
                          I Dreamed A Dream
                          Overture - Robin Hood Prince Of Thieves
                          Rey's Theme (The Force Awakens)
                          Somewhere Over The Rainbow
                          In The Hall Of The Mountain King
                          Skyfall
                          James Bond Medley

'And that concludes the classical music on R2 for this week …………'

Comment

• MrGongGong
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                            What we do know, to the contrary, Radio 2 which used to feature the 'Classic FM' end of classical music has now virtually dropped it. Your Hundred Best Tunes and Melodies for You were ditched as no longer being cool;
                            I think it might be more that they were a bit cr*p?

Comment

• cloughie
                              • Dec 2011

Doesn't that mean that Musics from the Western Classical Traditions ought to feature on Radios 1, 2, & 6 alongside the "pick & mix bits" that their regular listeners "personally like to think of as Radio 1/2/6 Music"? Does this eclecticism feature on those other BBC Music channels?
                              No but I'm happy to sacrifice an evening on 3 at Hall for Cornwall to welcome small children, their families and those of a nervous disposition to sample a bit of proper music, but after all these years I still want the full works for Breakfast! I knew I'd face trouble on these boards by actually owning up to thinking Music day was a good idea.

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                                I think it might be more that they were a bit cr*p?
                                No, they were a way into classical music for a lot of people. But the people who had no interest squawked so long (you should have seen the Radio 2 messageboards) they finally won the day when they got a controller who agreed with them because his main interests are sport and popular music. But, in any case, what music on Radio 2 do you like?

Comment

Working...
                                X