• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
    Yup - I think that news rather blows my "perhaps he just wants a quieter life" suggestion right out of the water!
    Crikey! Did the Phil not see that coming?

Comment

• Darkbloom
      • Feb 2015

I know Salonen sees himself primarily as a composer, but does anyone else? I don't think the Philharmonia played much of his work (unlike the LA Phil), and it seems that San Francisco are giving him more scope for that side of things. It's a pity he's moving on, particularly as Jurowski is leaving the LPO too, which I think is the bigger loss.

Comment

• Alison
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Darkbloom View Post
        I know Salonen sees himself primarily as a composer, but does anyone else? I don't think the Philharmonia played much of his work (unlike the LA Phil), and it seems that San Francisco are giving him more scope for that side of things. It's a pity he's moving on, particularly as Jurowski is leaving the LPO too, which I think is the bigger loss.
        Very much agreed. EPS very inconsequential as a composer, loadsa teeming detail and big gesture all to no significant end.

Any rumours on the LPO front?

Comment

• Alison
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by bluestateprommer View Post
          13 years as principal conductor / chief conductor / music director (choose as appropriate) these days is a pretty long stretch for an orchestra-conductor relationship, so in that sense, it makes sense for E-PS to call time on this particular chapter of his career. Plus, this bombshell news from San Francisco may also explain another part of it:

There had been some speculation that Pablo Heras-Casado was in the running for San Francisco. But with E-PS moving back to California, musically speaking, that does open up the Philharmonia for PH-C, if PH-C is interested. I've actually never seen PH-C conduct live, so I can't testify to his qualities / debits as a conductor. Sorry to disappoint Alison on this question .
          Well you did add to my knowledge BSP!

Not too sure about PH-C and his current commitments, he seems to get all around the globe looking at his Twitter activity.

Comment

• Darkbloom
            • Feb 2015

Originally posted by Alison View Post
            Very much agreed. EPS very inconsequential as a composer, loadsa teeming detail and big gesture all to no significant end.

Any rumours on the LPO front?
            I haven't heard anything about the LPO but they are big shoes to fill. Maybe they should try and entice Haitink back. Offer him a 25 year contract with the option for renewal the way the LSO did for Monteux.

Comment

Working...
            X