Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Colonel Danby
    • Nov 2010

I have been a decided Baxian for thirty years, after I bought his Fourth Symphony with Jack Thomson and the Ulster Orchestra on Chandos, and was totally bowled over by his music: but then I've always been a brazen romantic myself. I've now got three complete cycles of the Symphonies with Jack, Tod and David Lloyd Jones on Naxos, the tone poems, the choral music and four discs of his piano music played by Eric Parkin. Sad but true? Not really: I do believe in his music. Only the Fifth yet deludes me, but I shall continue to try to get that one.

It's still a shame that Bax is played but rarely in the concert house: I would love it if they did a complete symphonic cycle at the Proms, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Colonel Danby View Post
      I have been a decided Baxian for thirty years, after I bought his Fourth Symphony with Jack Thomson and the Ulster Orchestra on Chandos, and was totally bowled over by his music: but then I've always been a brazen romantic myself. I've now got three complete cycles of the Symphonies with Jack, Tod and David Lloyd Jones on Naxos, the tone poems, the choral music and four discs of his piano music played by Eric Parkin. Sad but true? Not really: I do believe in his music. Only the Fifth yet deludes me, but I shall continue to try to get that one.

It's still a shame that Bax is played but rarely in the concert house: I would love it if they did a complete symphonic cycle at the Proms, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.
      LPO,Raymond Leppard on Lyrita.
      An unlikely Baxian but he unlocks the hidden secrets of this elusive masterpiece like few can.
      Might be difficult to find though.
      Ah I see there's one on Amazon
      Last edited by EdgeleyRob; 12-06-16, 22:49. Reason: Thought it was NLA

Comment

• Barbirollians
        • Nov 2010

Can this thread be merged with which Bax symphony if any of 17/05/16 - the answer being Tod and Barbirolli in 1943 in the Third .

Comment

• Beef Oven!
          Ex-member
          • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Colonel Danby View Post

I have the Bryden Thompson and David Lloyd cycles in full and a few of the Vernon Handley. But it's the Lyrita performances that I favour these days. Thinking about it, it's probably the fifth symphony that I'm least fond of.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
            Ex-member
            • Sep 2013

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
            An unlikely Baxian but he unlocks the hidden secrets of this elusive masterpiece like few can.

There's something special about the Lyrita Bax releases that I can't quite put my finger on.

Comment

• Alison
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post

There's something special about the Lyrita Bax releases that I can't quite put my finger on.
              Yes, stacks of atmosphere. Fine recordings, no mush, you are able to marvel afresh at the orchestral timbres on offer.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                Ex-member
                • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                Yes, stacks of atmosphere. Fine recordings, no mush, you are able to marvel afresh at the orchestral timbres on offer.
                Yes, that's definitely part of it.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                  • Nov 2010

Stacks of atmosphere, yes Alison.
                  A good example would be the Leppard slow movement of Bax 7.
                  Legendary,know what I mean ?

Comment

• Stanfordian
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                    It's a shame Bax's 3 & 4 symphonies are not available on Lyrita.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                      Late Member
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                      Looks like I'll have to investigate these recordings!
                      Don’t cry for me
                      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                        Ex-member
                        • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                        Looks like I'll have to investigate these recordings!
                        Well worth it, IMV.

Comment

Working...
                        X