• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beef Oven!
    Ex-member
    • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
    We are lucky indeed that Stan. Skrow. is still going strong (I managed not to crush him when I gave him a semi-hug after the LPO Bruckner 5 last November reported on here.)

I hope that performance will be out soon on LPO Live - meanwhile you should definitely start with this on the same label:

(There's a Bruckner 7 from 2012 too)
    That's the one I think I heard. Maybe.

I read your post back then, but for some reason it didn't resonate with me. Goes like that sometimes, I guess.

Comment

• vinteuil
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post

The performance was that good that I simply had to buy the complete set of symphonies 00-9!!!

... if you want Bruckner - and you want Skrowaczewski - what you want is

which gives you all the Bruckner and a whole lot more...

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

There have been various mentions of this grand old man of European music, and having found a couple of wonderful filmed performances, I thought it worth starting a dedicated thread about his work, pulling together some disparate comments from past threads.

I've been watching this film of him in Bruckner 9 with the Frankfurt Radio SO....

Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 25-05-16, 23:36.
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Also this Bruckner 2 in Gothenburg

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

And, movingly, his performance in the same Gothenburg concert of Mozart's 20th piano concerto with Jan Lisiecki - the latter's extreme youthfulness and the conductor's advancing years combine to make something rather magical...

Comment

• richardfinegold
              • Sep 2012

Coincidentally played his Bruckner 6th from his earlier cycle on the Arte Nova label yesterday . Outstanding

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
                • Jun 2014

There is also this on YouTube ...

*ANTON BRUCKNER*_Sinfonía nº 4, en mi bemol mayor, «Romántica»_Bewegt, nicht zu schnell (0:39)Andante quasi allegretto (20:24)Scherzo. Bewegt (37:04)Finale. ...

Interesting the use of gentle percussion before the final glorious brass outpouring. I have never come across that before. Is it one of Skrow's own little additions/amendments, I wonder?

If so, a true Bruckner disciple indeed!

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                  Ex-member
                  • Sep 2013

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                  Coincidentally played his Bruckner 6th from his earlier cycle on the Arte Nova label yesterday . Outstanding
                  Yes, that’s a really good performance. In fact following Cockneysparrow’s steer to Skrowaczewski’s 8, it’s the 6th I got to first and was bowled over. Not sure why I didn’t pick up on the Skrowaczewski discussion earlier in the year.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                    Ex-member
                    • Sep 2013

Originally posted by AjAjAjH View Post
                    Skrowaczewski was the Principal conductor of The Halle who did a great deal to increase my musical knowledge and appreciation during his time in Manchester. He will be 89 in October this year, by far the oldest conductor that I will ever have ever seen conduct. He last conducted The Halle in the 2009/10 season when he was 86.

Have any posters seen a conductor older than this and who is the oldest conductor you have seen?
                    I think Gunter Wand was the oldest conductor I’ve ever seen. He was 80 or 81 when I first saw him conduct, and about 86 or 87 the next time. He lived to 91.

(although I thought it was Franz Welser Most who was the oldest, during a couple of performances during the previous decade. A moribund Bruckner 8 and subterranean Missa Solemnis).

Comment

• Barbirollians
                      • Nov 2010

It is an odd thing - he receives so many encomiums nowadays in advanced old age and I am sure well deserved but when he was the principal conductor of the Halle in the 1980s he conducted lots of of routinely played concerts . The Halle was going through a bad patch post Loughran but I can scarcely remember any of them . I don't recall any Bruckner from that time in his programmes in Sheffield.

Comment

• visualnickmos
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                        Absolutely. A superb Bruckner cycle. Re-released on the OEHMS Classics label... maybe still some very reasonably-priced ones to be had.....

However I wasn't aware that recorded yet another one even after this one!

Comment

• Conchis
                          Banned
                          • Jun 2014

Originally posted by AjAjAjH View Post
                          I am very much looking forward to next year's Halle concerts - and the BBC Philharmonic's.

On March 14th, Stanislaw Skrowaczwski is to conduct a programme of Lutoslawski and Shostakovich. Skrowaczewski was the Principal conductor of The Halle who did a great deal to increase my musical knowledge and appreciation during his time in Manchester. He will be 89 in October this year, by far the oldest conductor that I will ever have ever seen conduct. He last conducted The Halle in the 2009/10 season when he was 86.

Have any posters seen a conductor older than this and who is the oldest conductor you have seen?
                          I saw Gunter Wand conduct a Prom concert of Schubert's 8th Symphony and Bruckner's 9th in the summer of 2001, when he was aged 89. He died, aged ninety, the following year.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                            Ex-member
                            • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Conchis View Post
                            I saw Gunter Wand conduct a Prom concert of Schubert's 8th Symphony and Bruckner's 9th in the summer of 2001, when he was aged 89. He died, aged ninety, the following year.
                            Same programme I first saw him conduct, when he was 80/81. Seems a combination of unfinished(s) that he favoured.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Released last Friday - the concert I was at in October:

Comment

Working...
                              X