X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EdgeleyRob
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stunsworth View Post
    Available to stream or download from Qobuz. The download is £12...

http://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/album/dvo.../8594029810785
    Thanks for this but I think I'm going to order the box set mentioned above.

Comment

• Roslynmuse
      • Jul 2011

Well - did anyone from the Forum apart from me go?

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Roslynmuse View Post
        Well - did anyone from the Forum apart from me go?
        Yes I did Ros.
        Don't expect an insightful review from me though,no good at that malarkey.
        Certainly easier on the ear than the Czech language recording I listened to earlier in the week.
        Hard not to be uplifted by the tremendous noise produced by the choir,gorgeous singing from Emma Bell (Ludmilla)and James Creswell (Ivan) had a blast didn't he.
        Thrilling stuff,glad I went.

Comment

• Roslynmuse
          • Jul 2011

Glad you enjoyed it! I can't imagine it receiving a better performance - I thought orchestra and choir were on top form.

I was a bit puzzled by the mixture of styles - echoes of Beethoven 9 and Wagner's Forest Murmurs; anticipation of the Demon's Chorus in Gerontius; and lots of Mendelssohn in religioso mood and Sullivan (!) in more bucolic moments. Not a lot that sounded like Dvorak to my ears!

I'm glad I was listening in English - with surtitles too - - presumably as intended, as it was written for Leeds.

I couldn't help wondering about the missionary zeal of Ivan, coming in and breaking all the 'idols' when the populace was doing no-one any harm by being pagan! Particularly after going to the 'Beyond the Score' presentation a fortnight ago on the New World Symphony, which talked movingly about the plight of the American Indians.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
            • Nov 2010

Yes Elgar and Mendelssohn certainly.
            Listening to the Belohlavek records the Dvorak symphonies and Slavonic Dances were brought to my mind at times,this was not so apparent listening live.

Comment

• AjAjAjH
              • Nov 2010

I was there and was amazed at how wonderful the music was. 5 soloists on fine form and the choir and orchestra at their magisterial best. Congratulations to Sir Mark and the Halle Concerts Society for scheduling it. With Gerontius and Gurrelleder planned for next season, it's great to be a music lover in Manchester,

Comment

• Roslynmuse
                • Jul 2011

Originally posted by AjAjAjH View Post
                I was there and was amazed at how wonderful the music was. 5 soloists on fine form and the choir and orchestra at their magisterial best. Congratulations to Sir Mark and the Halle Concerts Society for scheduling it. With Gerontius and Gurrelleder planned for next season, it's great to be a music lover in Manchester,

And Rheingold!

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by AjAjAjH View Post
                  Yep,got my eye on that Gurrelieder,soon be June 2017

Comment

Working...
                  X