X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EdgeleyRob
    • Nov 2010

Dvorak: Saint Ludmilla

I have to admit that I'd never even heard of this work until yesterday.
    The Halle are doing it next Saturday and I'm thinking of taking a punt,well it's something off the beaten track.
    The only other big Dvorak choral piece I've ever heard is the Stabat Mater (Bridgewater Hall a few years ago).
    Anyone know Saint Ludmilla,looks like an epic
  • richardfinegold
    • Sep 2012

Never heard of it.
    There is also a Dvorak Requiem. Is this the same work?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
      Never heard of it.
      There is also a Dvorak Requiem. Is this the same work?
      No

... I've never heard it, but there are excerpts on youTube:

Antonin Dvorak - Sain Ludmila - "introduzione e coro" or "Hospodine, pomiluj ny" . Czech Philharmonic Chours, Zikmundova, Soukupova, Novak, Blachut, Krejci...

Antonín Švorc (1934-2011) Czech bass-baritone. Famous for his notable singing of Heldenbariton parts (both in Wagner and Strauss), also Boris Godunov and Iag...

... sounds decent enough from these - and written for Leeds, too! (The Wiki article seems to suggest that it wasn't performed there, but in Prague some 15 years after it was written; this seems peculiar.)

You've gotta go, Edgey - it's exactly the sort of thing we're always saying should be done at a certain Season of concerts that takes place each Summer in the Capital, and you'll have heard it Live! How can you not? (I'm watching the world come to an end in Leeds, so can't get there.) Go on! You know you want to - then tell us all about it.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

as Ferney says, sounds a great opportunity.
        there are a couple ( which is about all there seem to be in total) of recordings in the Naxos library, ER.
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
          • Jan 2014

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
          as Ferney says, sounds a great opportunity.
          there are a couple ( which is about all there seem to be in total) of recordings in the Naxos library, ER.
          (details of the Orfeo recording in the Naxos Music Library thread #21 - has a PDF booklet - ER I sent you a PM about it)

Comment

• rauschwerk
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
            (The Wiki article seems to suggest that it wasn't performed there, but in Prague some 15 years after it was written; this seems peculiar.)
            It certainly was performed in Leeds - Dvorak conducted the premiere on Oct 15, 1886.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by rauschwerk View Post
              It certainly was performed in Leeds - Dvorak conducted the premiere on Oct 15, 1886.
              - so nice that the town on the other side of the Pennines is catching up at last.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                • Nov 2010

Yes I'll give it a go.

As Rauschwerk says it was premiered in Leeds under Dvorak himself.

From the Programme for the Halle Dvorak Festival

It's being performed in a revised English translation by David Pountney.
                It's Dvorak's longest non-operatic composition.
                There is mention of part of the work perhaps influencing the 1st part of Elgar's DoG.
                It was programmed in Manchester by the Halle 6 weeks after the Leeds premiere.
                Apparently the Leeds Festival committee wanted a sacred cantata lasting about an hour and a half and suggested Samson and Delilah as a subject.
                Dvorak replied that he wanted to compose a more substantial piece and the committee were horrified that he wanted to base his oratorio on an episode from Bohemian history.
                Dvorak,writing home,said "Saint Ludmilla made a tremendous impression....performed by choir and orchestra such as I have never heard in England before...storms of applause after each of the 3 parts....members of the audience moved to tears at times..."
                Last edited by EdgeleyRob; 17-05-16, 13:45.

Comment

• umslopogaas
                  • Nov 2010

I have a 1965 Supraphon recording of this work. It runs to six LP sides, about two hours. This version is by the Czech PO and Chorus, cond. Vaclav Smetacek. It isnt mentioned in either The 2010 Penguin Guide or the Rough Guide to Opera and is presumably no longer available.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by umslopogaas View Post
                    I have a 1965 Supraphon recording of this work. It runs to six LP sides, about two hours. This version is by the Czech PO and Chorus, cond. Vaclav Smetacek. It isnt mentioned in either The 2010 Penguin Guide or the Rough Guide to Opera and is presumably no longer available.
                    Certainly not cheaply:

Comment

• umslopogaas
                      • Nov 2010

Thanks fhg. Seems it did make it to CD. Forty quid for a two CD secondhand set isnt cheap, but not outrageous for a hard-to-find set.

Comment

• Andrew Slater
                        • Mar 2007

Box set here is cheaper.

I have a ticket and was wondering whether it was worth the trek to Manchester for the very early (6pm) start. Having listened to the you tube clips, it's probably worth it, so thanks for the links, Ferney

Mark Elder has something to say about it here.

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

That box can be had for about £22 on amazon market place.
                          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                            • Nov 2010

Well I've listened to the thing,Belohlavek via Naxos library.

It's excellent stuff,lots of reminders of the later Symphonies and Slavonic Dances at times in the Orchestral writing.
                            Some gorgeous stuff for the soloists,the Soprano Aria 'I Beg Thee' and duets Soprano/Tenor 'Anoint our foreheads with the holy water' and Soprano/Mezzo 'Pray tell me now what do you seek' stand out.

Belohlavek takes 1 hour 53 mins,I notice the Orfeo recording lasts 2 hours 23 mins whereas the Halle performance to come is estimated at 2 hours.

Can't wait now,should be good live although it will obviously sound a lot different in English

Comment

• Stunsworth
                              • Nov 2010

Available to stream or download from Qobuz. The download is £12...

Listen to unlimited or download Dvorak: Svata Ludmila by Eva Urbanová in Hi-Res quality on Qobuz. Subscription from £10.83/month.
                              Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X