• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hornspieler
    Late Member
    • Sep 2012

Shostakovitch Symphony Nº 8

Well Tchaikowsky's Pathetique symphony passed the 100 replies mark, so let's see whhether this work is a useful point of discussion:

I have just been listening on R3 to a splendid performance by the Dallas Symphony Orchestra and to say that it was impressive is understating my reaction.

I can honestly say that the horn parts in this work are the most difficult that I have ever been required to play. The writing for all the sections of the orchestra takes the players to the absolute limit as I can well bear witness, having played (and on a live broadcast) under Silvestri's baton (when you could see it) back in, I think, 1964.*

If you don't know the work, I urge you to Listen tomorrow on the BBC Iplayer.

To offer a little background:

Symphony Nº 7(The Leningrad) was a great success - not just with the general public, but with the Russian Authorities. The triumphant flag waving (think of Tchaik's 1812) was just what the government wanted, so when DSCH returned to serious symphonic writing with his Nº 8, his masters was not pleased. He was ordered to behave himself and write some "proper Russian" music.

So he cocked a snoop at them by writing the short but unspectacular Symphony Nº 9 before returning to more "acceptable" music for Nº 10 (The one that I always call "The Youth Orchestra Symphony" - they all attempt it with pretty ghastly results)

I have never been required to take part in any of the later symphonies, having left full scale orchestral playing in 1966, but no doubt they will arise somewhere in discussion and comparison on this thread.

An interesting point here which I was unaware of until today:

In the final movement of Nº 8, there is a sudden quotation from the "heroic" opening bars of Tchaikowsky's "Manfred" symphony. Listen out for it. (it's about 56 minutes in)

All comments and opinions welcomed.

HS

*No. It was 1965. I've just found my own recording, taken from our live broadcast from the Winter Gardens in Bournemouth
    Last edited by Hornspieler; 12-04-16, 10:17. Reason: My shocking memory!
  • BBMmk2
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

I have Gergiev's, Haitink's, Janson's, Barshai's & Previn's recordings of this work but never heard this live. I heave hear no.4 live, with the LPO/Haitink. What I would give for a live performance of this work, is immeasurable. No matter how good, the recordings I have mentioned, a live performance of no.8, like anything else, is something you just cannot replicate on a recording.
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Stanfordian
      • Dec 2010

I think this is my favourite Shostovich symphony.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
        • Nov 2010

Did it really take DSCH only 2 months to write this masterpiece ?
        When it starts I think I'm half expecting the 5th Symphony but this one makes the blood run cold.
        You can hear the fists,the machine guns and the screams in the 2nd scherzo, the brass really earn their corn here don't they HS ?
        Haitink for me.

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

Mravinsky anyone?

Comment

• gurnemanz
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
            Did it really take DSCH only 2 months to write this masterpiece ?
            When it starts I think I'm half expecting the 5th Symphony but this one makes the blood run cold.
            You can hear the fists,the machine guns and the screams in the 2nd scherzo, the brass really earn their corn here don't they HS ?
            Haitink for me.
            By coincidence I have just been reading about this symphony in Elizabeth Wilson's Shostakovich A Life Remembered. The two months were needed to write down what had already been almost fully conceived in his head. Mravinsky (the dedicatee) took about the same time to rehearse the work for its first performance.

Wilson includes the recollections of Yakov Milkis, a violinist with the Leningrad Philharmonic, who toured with Mravinsky in 1960. They played the Eighth at the Festival Hall in London, (accompanied alas by frequent coughing from the audience). Britten was there. (It's on the very good BBC Legends box). The next day they were on a ferry to France. The violinist found himself standing next to the composer on deck and told him what an impression yesterday's performance had made on him, mentioning what was for him one of the most remarkable things in the work: "the transition to the Finale where two clarinets play a long modulating passage as if fumbling in the dark and then at long last, the music resolves into C Major like a ray of sunlight." The composer looked at him and commented: "My friend, if only you knew how much blood that C Major cost me." Milkis goes on: "He then fell silent and I was left with the feeling that I had touched on something very sacred and private."

Comment

• umslopogaas
              • Nov 2010

I have Kondrashin and Previn on LP and have made a note to buy the Mravinsky CD. Must listen again, its not a work I know at all well.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                • Nov 2010

The sublime ending of this work leaves you staring into space,matching that of the Fourth Symphony's final desolation with perhaps more sense of hope creeping in. I haven't yet heard an inadequate performance, presumably conductors just don't take it on unless they feel capable of doing it justice.

I've just found a copy of Gergiev's version with the Kirov Orchestra. Will he be erratic? I'll listen today.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                  Late Member
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by umslopogaas View Post
                  I have Kondrashin and Previn on LP and have made a note to buy the Mravinsky CD. Must listen again, its not a work I know at all well.
                  Is that available, still?
                  Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• jean
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

I have Petrenko and the RLPO on Naxos. Of course.

Comment

• ahinton
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
                      The sublime ending of this work leaves you staring into space,matching that of the Fourth Symphony's final desolation with perhaps more sense of hope creeping in.
                      There is indeed a palpable parallel between those two endings, the 8th closing with quiet resignation and hope in C major and the 4th with resignation and hopelessness in C minor.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                        Is that available, still?
                        Just about:

... fantastic performance, but the additional bronchial percussion from the phlegmatic RFH audience takes quite a toll.

There is another Mravinsky recording, which I don't know, but the price looks tempting:

Edit: be nice to Mrs Bbm and get your skates on, Bbm, and you can get the RFH BBC recording for well under a tenner:

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• BBMmk2
                          Late Member
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                          Just about:

... fantastic performance, but the additional bronchial percussion from the phlegmatic RFH audience takes quite a toll.

There is another Mravinsky recording, which I don't know, but the price looks tempting:

Edit: be nice to Mrs Bbm and get your skates on, Bbm, and you can get the RFH BBC recording for well under a tenner:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shostakovich.../dp/B000026AP5
                          Thanks, Ferney! (It's MrsBBM's birthday on Sunday! )
                          Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• maestro267
                            • Nov 2010

This thread has inspired me to listen to Shostakovich 8 again (LSO/Previn). I love this symphony! The fortissimo climaxes in the first movt. are really intense and dissonant, the 3rd movt. is one of the finest "perpetuum mobile" in music, and the fourth movt. Passacaglia is creepy.

Comment

• visualnickmos
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by maestro267 View Post
                              This thread has inspired me to listen to Shostakovich 8 again (LSO/Previn). I love this symphony! The fortissimo climaxes in the first movt. are really intense and dissonant, the 3rd movt. is one of the finest "perpetuum mobile" in music, and the fourth movt. Passacaglia is creepy.
                              It is a true masterpiece - pure excellence on every hearing. Which of Previn's LSO recordings did you listen to - his 1973 EMI Matrix, or the 1994 DG Classikon? The timings vary quite a bit between the two...

Comment

Working...
                              X