X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post
    She isn't doing that though, is she? She's talking to Guardian readers.
    it was a conversation point.
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

She isn't doing that though, is she? She's talking to Guardian readers.
      I take it that it was a follow-up to Chi-Chi Nwanoku's piece, since this was a letter not an article.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• jean
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

Yes, I realised it was a follow-up to something, but I hadn't seen this.

...I love all forms of music; but why is it that classical is so restricted to a tiny elite? It has an energy and depth that people of all backgrounds can get into...
        I accept that we've established that we mustn't talk about depth and complexity; is it all right to talk about energy and depth - so long as you don't make any explicit comparisons between classical music and music that might contain a bit less of those qualities?

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

.I love all forms of music; but why is it that classical is so restricted to a tiny elite? It has an energy and depth that people of all backgrounds can get into...
          Yes - and also "Sadly, at a time when classical music is becoming ever more a preserve of the few…" Susan Tomes seems to redress the balance a little: a black, state-educated teenager has just won BBC Young Musician - demonstrating that minorities (black) and a general broad public (state-educated) can excel at classical music. Whose 'fault' is it if a privileged white minority dominates the classical music arena? Why, theirs, of course, for being so, erm, elitist … Tomes points out that it needs the people who influence young people's lives to believe it's worthwhile cultivating an appreciation and love of the stuff; and support those who show an interest in it. "A likely story!" .

I accept that we've established that we mustn't talk about depth and complexity; is it all right to talk about energy and depth - so long as you don't make any explicit comparisons between classical music and music that might contain a bit less of those qualities?
          We-e-e-ell, perhaps. I've just written a piece for someone and had to point out that I had deliberately made no value judgement about other music. The point was to discuss the situation of classical music. But I expect someone will spot a nit to pick somewhere

The phrase "a subtext of glee at the notion that a privileged class is getting its comeuppance" rang a bell. Like 6 Music listeners talking about the 'grumpy old Radio 3 listeners' having one of their presenters doing the Breakfast stint.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• MrGongGong
            • Nov 2010

I accept that we've established that we mustn't talk about depth and complexity;
            Of course you can

Here's some

and here's some more

Full-length concert: http://www.digitalconcerthall.com/concert/16884/?a=youtube&c=trueMagnus Lindberg: "Kraft" for clarinet, percussion, piano, cello and orc...

and some more

Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina (Palestrina, 1525 - Roma, 1594),Missa Papae Marcelli.The Tallis Scholars, Peter Phillips, director.The Palestrina 400 Collec...

and some more

(1986) for shakuhachi, bass recorder and viola (Yoshikazu Iwamoto, shakuhachi / Alex Robertson, viola / Bill Lyons, bass recorder)http://www.frankdenyer.eu/h...

and have a listen to this

Jonathan Harvey (1939-2012): Speakings, for large Orchestra and electronics (2007/2008).I.II.III.BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra diretta da Ilan VolkovCover ...

and there's some here

[DATE : 02/Jan/2002][PLACE : Andon Yamasari Stage, Peliatan, Ubud]

and here

Conlon Nancarrow, Study for Player Piano No. 21 (Canon X). Aufgenommen mit dem Ampico Bösendorfer Flügel von Jürgen Hocker, der nach den Wünschen Nancarrows ...

it seems to be all over the place IMV

Comment

• Tapiola
              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
              Of course you can

Here's some

and here's some more

Full-length concert: http://www.digitalconcerthall.com/concert/16884/?a=youtube&c=trueMagnus Lindberg: "Kraft" for clarinet, percussion, piano, cello and orc...

and some more

Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina (Palestrina, 1525 - Roma, 1594),Missa Papae Marcelli.The Tallis Scholars, Peter Phillips, director.The Palestrina 400 Collec...

and some more

(1986) for shakuhachi, bass recorder and viola (Yoshikazu Iwamoto, shakuhachi / Alex Robertson, viola / Bill Lyons, bass recorder)http://www.frankdenyer.eu/h...

and have a listen to this

Jonathan Harvey (1939-2012): Speakings, for large Orchestra and electronics (2007/2008).I.II.III.BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra diretta da Ilan VolkovCover ...

and there's some here

[DATE : 02/Jan/2002][PLACE : Andon Yamasari Stage, Peliatan, Ubud]

and here

Conlon Nancarrow, Study for Player Piano No. 21 (Canon X). Aufgenommen mit dem Ampico Bösendorfer Flügel von Jürgen Hocker, der nach den Wünschen Nancarrows ...

it seems to be all over the place IMV
              So why are the majority of your examples WCM?

Comment

• MrGongGong
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Tapiola View Post
                How long have you got?

To show how "depth" and "complexity" aren't confined to genre, location or historical period.
                It would be very easy for me to find loads of examples that were completely off the radar of most "classical music" folks/

Do you want some more?

Comment

• Tapiola
                  • Jan 2011

How long have you got?

To show how "depth" and "complexity" aren't confined to genre, location or historical period.
                  It would be very easy for me to find loads of examples that were completely off the radar of most "classical music" folks/

Do you want some more?
                  No. I don't dig avoidant personalities.

You must be just so great in real life, though, knowin' all that off the radar stuff...

Comment

• MrGongGong
                    • Nov 2010

No. I don't dig avoidant personalities.

You must be just so great in real life, though.
                    What on earth are you on about?

Comment

• Tapiola
                      • Jan 2011

What on earth are you on about?
                      QED.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                        • Nov 2010

I just had another look at the ones I posted
                        and the majority aren't really WCM
                        Frank Denyer's music isn't
                        North Indian Classical Music isn't
                        Gamelan isn't

You could call Nancarrow WCM but that's debatable, I would say it isn't really what Susan Tomes means by "Classical Music"

Comment

• Tapiola
                          • Jan 2011

I just had another look at the ones I posted
                          and the majority aren't really WCM
                          Frank Denyer's music isn't
                          North Indian Classical Music isn't
                          Gamelan isn't

You could call Nancarrow WCM but that's debatable, I would say it isn't really what Susan Tomes means by "Classical Music"
                          I'll concede 3.5. 50%. How would you know what Susan Tomes means? You couldn't even summarise her accurately earlier.

Comment

• jean
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

How would you know what Susan Tomes means?
                            Well, exactly; I refer Mr GG to my earlier post:

We haven't really identified what other musics we, and Susan Tomes, might be talking about.

I don't think she's thinking of the complexities of Indian music, say, so much as comparing Young Musician of the Year with something like Britain's Got Talent.

Comment

Working...
                            X