X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tapiola
    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post
    Thank goodness that at last, somebody has posted a sensible reply to my opening post, which I may remind you all was concerning Tchaikowsky's Pathetique Symphony and it's effect on, (or reaction to) people who hear it performed. (especially for the first time)

Nothing to do with Shostakovitch's 14th and 15th symphonies or any other subject.
    Well, a thousand apologies from me for having the temerity to suggest that the effect of, and my reaction to, Tchaik 6 (and its last movement), puts me in mind of the last two symphonies of Shostakovich (and various other works). How could I?

I'm too old to be lectured at. But I must thank you, HS, for opening the door unto a very interesting thread and its many and various opinions, insights and experiences, all of which bear relation to Tchaik 6. No?

I could also take issue with your #67 and its simplistic inference that composers tend write in cycles of things (never mind the confusing publication-as-timeline as evidenced by, e.g. Dvorak), but life is too short.

Comment

• ahinton
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
      First of all, greetings to the Bartlettino, and many congratulations and very best wishes to you, his mother and his sibling(s)
      "Barrettino", methinks (unless there's something that I don't know about)! - but congratulations and best wishes from me, too.

Oh dear; I realise that I have created an entire post here without even mentioning Tchaikovsky's Sixth Symphony; will I be asked to leave, do you think?...

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
        "Barrettino", methinks (unless there's something that I don't know about)!
        Oh, crumbs! - I really shouldn't be allowed out unattended. Allow me to present the youngest Barrett with his first apology. (The rest of the greetings/best wished stand.)
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Richard Barrett
          • Jan 2016

Allow me to present the youngest Barrett with his first apology.
          I don't think he is quite aware of what his name is yet, so no need for that. Ahem. Tchaikovsky 6, you say.

Comment

• ahinton
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
            I don't think he is quite aware of what his name is yet, so no need for that. Ahem. Tchaikovsky 6, you say.
            Oh, don't call him Pathétique, whatever you do!

Comment

• Richard Barrett
              • Jan 2016

A Symphonic Cycle is like an autobiography in music of a composer's output and achievements
              Except of course when it isn't.

Comment

• Hornspieler
                Late Member
                • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Tapiola View Post
                Well, a thousand apologies from me for having the temerity to suggest that the effect of, and my reaction to, Tchaik 6 (and its last movement), puts me in mind of the last two symphonies of Shostakovich (and various other works). How could I?

I'm too old to be lectured at. But I must thank you, HS, for opening the door unto a very interesting thread and its many and various opinions, insights and experiences, all of which bear relation to Tchaik 6. No?

I could also take issue with your #67 and its simplistic inference that composers tend write in cycles of things (never mind the confusing publication-as-timeline as evidenced by, e.g. Dvorak), but life is too short.
                Thanks for your very helpful reply.

Should it be Tchaikowsky or Tchaikovsky? I note that you avoid the issue by referring to him as Tchaik!

I've always used the composer's name with a "w" but most posters use a "v".

The confusion is not helped by DG's spelling on their CD of Karajan and the Berliners.
                On the front of the case, it says Tchaikovsky but on the reverse side it says Tschaikowsky!

Well, something for the nit-pickers to have fun with, anyway.

Have a good weekend!

HS

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                  • Jan 2016

Well, something for the nit-pickers to have fun with, anyway.
                  A nit-picker writes: like many Russian names it's spelled differently and phonetically in different non-Russian languages and indeed at different times and there are dozens of different spellings in use. The most common one in English is Tchaikovsky as can be seen. Tschaikowsky is the usual German spelling; Tchaikowsky is probably used principally on Planet Hornspieler. A purist would have to spell it Чайкoвский.

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

A nit-picker writes: like many Russian names it's spelled differently and phonetically in different non-Russian languages and indeed at different times and there are dozens of different spellings in use. The most common one in English is Tchaikovsky as can be seen. Tschaikowsky is the usual German spelling; Tchaikowsky is probably used principally on Planet Hornspieler. A purist would have to spell it Чайкoвский.
                    well quite.

always worth googling in the cyrillic too, as gems can be unearthed.

EG: googling Chary Nurymov doesn't reveal as much as Чары Нурымов.

I don't suppose the great Turkmen composer would have worried about the odd thing going a bit off topic. And I imagine he enjoyed Tchaikovsky 6.
                    In his native country, his name might be written in cyrillic, latin, or the "new Turkmen" alphabet, of course.

Congratulations on the new arrival Richard.
                    Last edited by teamsaint; 10-04-16, 10:51.
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• rauschwerk
                      • Nov 2010

We write 'Chekhov', not 'Tchekhov', so why not 'Chaikovsky'? The T is there only because his music was first taken up by German publishers. But I fear it will never catch on now.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                        • Jan 2016

Originally posted by rauschwerk View Post
                        We write 'Chekhov', not 'Tchekhov', so why not 'Chaikovsky'?
                        Some people do, particularly musicologists these days. I don't think I could get used to it though.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by rauschwerk View Post
                          We write 'Chekhov', not 'Tchekhov', so why not 'Chaikovsky'? The T is there only because his music was first taken up by German publishers. But I fear it will never catch on now.

... seems as if the composer himself was rather fond of the German publishers' "error".
                          Last edited by ferneyhoughgeliebte; 10-04-16, 11:14.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                            • Jan 2016

... seems as if the composer himself was rather fond of the German publishers' error.
                            It wasn't an error though, that's the most accurate way his name can be rendered in German! "Pierre" is a different matter though... as well as his seeming fondness for the French "ï" which isn't necessary in German... (throws hands up in despair) That's enough nits picked for one day I think. Round here they spell it Чајковски so it isn't even standardised across different Cyrillics, I bet you all wanted to know that.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

It wasn't an error though, that's the most accurate way his name can be rendered in German! "Pierre" is a different matter though... as well as his seeming fondness for the French "ï" which isn't necessary in German... (throws hands up in despair) That's enough nits picked for one day I think. Round here they spell it Чајковски so it isn't even standardised across different Cyrillics, I bet you all wanted to know that.
                              Well - I found it interesting: but don't let that put you off. I was a little surprised to see his Russian Cyrillic autograph - I had thought that as a middle-class educated Russian, his language of conditioning was French?

However, when he did use Western letters, he was uncertain about "v" or "w", but definitely felt that there should be an "s" after the "T", even when signing his forename as "Pierre".

Comment

• ahinton
                                • Nov 2010

Well - I found it interesting: but don't let that put you off. I was a little surprised to see his Russian Cyrillic autograph - I had thought that as a middle-class educated Russian, his language of conditioning was French?

However, when he did use Western letters, he was uncertain about "v" or "w", but definitely felt that there should be an "s" after the "T", even when signing his forename as "Pierre".
                                Now what makes me think that someone around these 'ere parts will be back in a moment to chide all the name-spellers for exchanging discussions of that subject on the grounds that it has nothing to do with his Sixth Symphony...

Comment

Working...
                                X