X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vinteuil
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post

Who could fail to be moved by those closing bars? The most beautiful and heart-rending notes, surpassing even the ending of Mahler's "Kindertotenlieder"

Maybe it's just my own reaction ... the sheer beauty and meaningfullness of those closing bars which bring tears to the eyes and a lump in the throat.

Am I alone in this reaction?

HS
    I have tried again : Karajan 1976.

No. I am not moved. I am with Richard Barrett here -

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
    Moved by the closing bars? I can hear that I'm supposed to be, but until now it isn't music I've been drawn to.
    I won't go as far as Oscar Wilde on the death of Little Nell, but...

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post
      Can we please stick to the subject of this post:

Tchaikowsky's 6th symphony and the legends which surround it

I received this email from a former member who finds that he is unable to post on these message boards:

CDs and how to remove sticky labels are totally off the point.
      Symphony Nº 5 and its merits does not belong here.
      Can we not stick to the point of this thread and take our matters both technical and irelevant elsewhere?

Thank you

HS

One seems to need to be both highly sensitive, and to have a hide like a buffalo in order to post on this forum.

It's no wonder so many people leave.

I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
        • Aug 2015

6 over 5.

6, 5, Manfred, 4, 1, 3, 2.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Wot about "7"?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
            Wot about "7"?
            I used to have the Ormandy LP of this - caused tears to roll down my cheeks: quite the most hilarious snare drum concerto I'd ever heard - but it didn't half go on! Haven't heard it in over thirty-five years - perhaps time to give it another listen,

Dedicated to Marina Golub.Tchaikovsky Symphony Es-dur (№ 7) - Taras KutsenkoSloboda Virtuosi OrchestraRecorded live October 10, 2012Great Hall of the Kharkiv...
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Richard Barrett
              • Jan 2016

At the risk of going even further offtopic, I realise I've never heard Manfred. Recommended recordings would be welcome...

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

At the risk of going even further offtopic, I realise I've never heard Manfred. Recommended recordings would be welcome...
                RLPO/Petrenko is well regarded, and not too damaging on the wallet.

Oh, and not 7 but 5½, surely?

Comment

• teamsaint
                  • Nov 2010

some folks like this , and it is cheap as chips.

we really should have a separate thread for individual works though.....
                  I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                    • Jan 2016

Returning to the 6th, as I fear we must, I remember at a friend's house hearing the first movement of what sounded to me like a very exciting, expressive and precise recorded performance... I think it was Pletnev conducting, does that make any sense?

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                      Ex-member
                      • Sep 2013

Returning to the 6th, as I fear we must, I remember at a friend's house hearing the first movement of what sounded to me like a very exciting, expressive and precise recorded performance... I think it was Pletnev conducting, does that make any sense?
                      It makes sense to me. I have been to some Pletnev Tchaikovsky concerts (I have no recordings) and he is very special with Chaik, IMV.

P.S. If you're not keen on #6, you might try the old ruse of reversing the order of the last two movements. All's well that ends well

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

Where've you been?

If you want idiosyncratic try Ahronovitch. If you want good but not new and cut try Kletzki. Otherwise Maazel, Svetlanov, Muti, Rostropovich, Jurowski or Petrenko. Enjoy

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

K
                          Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                          It makes sense to me. I have been to some Pletnev Tchaikovsky concerts (I have no recordings) and he is very special with Chaik, IMV.

P.S. If you're not keen on #6, you might try the old ruse of reversing the order of the last two movements. All's well that ends well

I did that inadvertently when burning a download of Glazunov 5 to CD.

Interesting effect........

Comment

• Petrushka
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                            Where've you been?

If you want idiosyncratic try Ahronovitch. If you want good but not new and cut try Kletzki. Otherwise Maazel, Svetlanov, Muti, Rostropovich, Jurowski or Petrenko. Enjoy
                            I'll second all of that but with the addition of Previn as a recommended version.
                            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

There is a Pletnev Manfred - not expensive, either:

I have it, and it is very good. I've also had over the years, Haitink, Rostropovich, Muti and Chailly - all very good in very different ways. But I do like the Leonard recording teamsaint mentioned very much indeed. (Don't know the Petrenko - but I greatly admire his work.)

PS: forgot to mention; Pletnev's recording of the Pathetique was (one of) his first recordings as a conductor. Still available:

(second-hand looks more attractive!)
                              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post

Oh, and not 7 but 5½, surely?
                                Or perhaps 6? 7 if you count Manfred.

The E flat symphony is rather a good reconstruction, though the finale is Tchaikovsky at his worst.

Comment

Working...
                                X