And in today's other news...

Comment

• Pabmusic
      • May 2011

Originally posted by EnemyoftheStoat View Post
      I blame organised crime.

And in today's other news...

I've just noticed the date.

It's long after midday here, but that's not much of an excuse!!

Comment

• Dave2002
        • Dec 2010

I couldn't see the link - didn't open properly on my iPad, but I figured it was something to do with 1st April.

In a previous year it was announced that the chapel was to be replaced by a fibre glass replica.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

I had a few of you going last year with the discovery of Elgar's The Last Judgement in the RCM.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Pabs, to cheer you up here are a couple more....

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2...t-intervention (stay with this one, it's a slow build...)

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

And one from the Independent, which doesn't quite get the idea (see headline)

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
              http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2...t-intervention (stay with this one, it's a slow build...)
              I thought it very indiscreet, but Ant and Dec was a step too far for me - even early in the morning.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• jean
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

The Blue Leicester Cheese crisps on R4 Today at about 7.45 seemed too boring to be an April Fool, but apparently they were.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Not the only mention of crisps on the programme then - a nice tribute from Anish Kapoor to Zaha Hadid, talking about her unique contribution to architecture and her use of the double curve - curves on two planes - he suggested we think of Pringles

Comment

• Flosshilde
                    • Nov 2010

According to the map Ireland (including N. Ireland) seems to have decided to get as far away from the UK as possible. It's normally much nearer to Scotland than Wales is, & could almost be connected by a bridge. As N. Ireland is also unlikely to vote to leave the EU a three-way union between N. Ireland, Scotland & Wales could be a possibility (although N. Ireland is also unlikely to want to leave the UK)

(Is the Isle of Man in the EU? It does have rather a peculiar status, so I suppose it's possible that it isn't)

Comment

• Flosshilde
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                      Pabs, to cheer you up here are a couple more....

It took me a while to twig.

I thought the third letter here might be a spoof, but I'm afraid that it's probably deadly serious
                      Letters: Why all the outrage about Donald Trump saying women who have illegal abortions should be punished? Here in the UK this has been the situation since 1861

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
                        • Jun 2014

For me, a good April Fools' story has to sound too ridiculous to be true yet delivered with an accompanying air of plausibility to keep the listener/reader guessing.

Given the crazy things currently happening in the world, some of today's April Fools' did not sound that ridiculous to me!

Comment

• jean
                          Late member
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                          I thought the third letter here might be a spoof, but I'm afraid that it's probably deadly serious
                          http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2...p-and-abortion
                          What do you mean? It's an excellent letter!

(And I see that I know the person who wrote it.)

Comment

• Dave2002
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post
                            What do you mean? It's an excellent letter!

(And I see that I know the person who wrote it.)
                            There is almost certainly something wrong with the letter(s). I knew a Diane Munday who was a magistrate in the St. Albans area, and she did indeed campaign in the area of abortion. However that was a long while ago, and the lady I knew died long ago.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by P. G. Tipps View Post
                              For me, a good April Fools' story has to sound too ridiculous to be true yet delivered with an accompanying air of plausibility to keep the listener/reader guessing.
                              Indeed. This a slightly esoteric one from the classical guitar forum yesterday:
                              If you start experiencing difficulties with your left hand stretches, check the length of your guitar. Apparently, if kept in certain atmospheric
                              conditions, the wood of some guitars can start growing again (just like our hair/nails when we die) and add up to 15mm to the length of the
                              neck alone.

Comment

Working...
                              X