X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Howdenite
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
    ... I share your exasperation : ca'n't find the chosen five on the bbc website.

I think there was :

the Symphonie Fantastique with Daniel Harding
    Romeo et Juliette with Charles Munch
    I don't know which performers for les Nuits d'été
    Béatrice et Bénédict with Colin Davis, the philips recording
    and, yes, the Nelson les Troyens .

I think it was Benvenuto Cellini with Colin Davis rather than Béatrice et Bénédict (and Veronique Gens)... Otherwise, same as my recollections

Comment

• vinteuil
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Howdenite View Post
      I think it was Benvenuto Cellini with Colin Davis rather than Béatrice et Bénédict (and Veronique Gens)... Otherwise, same as my recollections
      ... yes, you're right : it was Benvenuto Cellini

Thanks - I shall correct

Comment

• Mal
        • Dec 2016

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
        Yes - I rate it very highly, for the reasons in th eguide, and I agree about the LSO live recording, unfortunately.
        But - he made a much earlier LSO recording in 1963 (Philpis Duo) which is a real stunner - MVHO, at least !
        Ah yes, forgot to mention that, it's the one I listened to all the way through on Amazon Unlimited, and although not stunned I greatly enjoyed it; I thought the sound was slightly bland, but that may be the limitations of Amazon Unlimited rather than the recording. In sampling, I did find the VPO sound better, and there was only one absolute bargain going so I snapped it up I've had some problems with inferior older recordings recently so I'm concentrating on trying to buy the best sound I can find. But musicality is the most important thing, so I may end up buying the Philips duo as well!

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
          • Jan 2014

I'd decided not to listen to Symphonie Fantastique again, for ......quite....a while - over exposure much as I find Berlioz' music very appealing.

But I'm listening to the Davis VPO at the moment and I wonder if its rather the VPO in their "its a walk in the park" mode. I might be wrong - it does sound good - audio quality (even at 128kbs). I did think yesterday I might give Harding a listen - at least its a different approach, so that will be sampled next. The Philips (now under Decca) LSO might be sampled 3rd.

All on Naxos Music Library - if anyone has access, details here:
          #31 http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...712#post724712

p.s. - did anyone hear "Music Matters" - R3 yesterday. Again I only caught the last few moments - JE Gardiner saying he'd been sounded out about conducting the Symphonie Funebre in procession down the Champs Elysee in June (or maybe July) this year. Agreed he would do it, not sure how, but not with a Sabre like Hector himself. Sadly, it seems it won't be happening.
          Last edited by Cockney Sparrow; 17-02-19, 18:28.

Comment

• Barbirollians
            • Nov 2010

I ordered a secondhand copy of the mono Beecham Symphonie Fantastique after reading a review that suggested it was better than the stereo which followed only a couple of years later .

It is very fine and with quite a coiled and tense account of the Scene des Champs . Barbirolli’s versions both studio and livevon ICA Classics are also excellent .

Comment

Working...
            X