X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Richard Tarleton
    • Jun 2024

John Williams at the BBC

Next Friday the 8 pm slot on BBC4 is filled by "John Williams at the BBC" - just one artist, for a change. One of the very greatest classical guitarists, his performances were invariably immaculate though he always came across as a very private and undemonstrative person. A biography of him here.

I saw him many times in the 60s and 70s, in recital, concertos and playing duets with Bream. Alongside the serious stuff we'll get his turns with Eric Sykes and Les Dawson....he was on TV a lot in those days, his performance of Albeniz's "Torre Bermeja" on the Val Doonican show was a favourite of mine on You Tube until it got taken down, with luck we'll get that.
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Good grief! How come I never heard that he was the son of Len Williams? Maybe I'd forgotten, but it came as a complete surprise on reading that biography.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Maybe it's just I who's always found his playing cold, albeit accurate, compared with our other leading classical guitarist Julian Bream.

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        Maybe it's just I who's always found his playing cold, albeit accurate, compared with our other leading classical guitarist Julian Bream.
        No, I sort found that too. Bream and Segovia (who, it appears, JW has criticised pretty harshly for his teaching "skills") both seemed more softly lyrical. JW was more of a Glenn Gould (I feel) it being technically virtuosic.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
          Ex-member
          • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          Not just you, I'm sure. But weren't most of us brought up with Segovia and Bream?

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

in case anybody missed and is interested, there was an in depth piece on a new Williams box set on Record Review.
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by french frank View Post
              Good grief! How come I never heard that he was the son of Len Williams? Maybe I'd forgotten, but it came as a complete surprise on reading that biography.
              Yes indeed. I bought my current guitar from Barry Mason at the London Spanish Guitar Centre (in Cranbourn Street, just off Leicester Square) which Len founded in 1952 - sadly the biog is out of date in that Barry retired a few years ago only for those who took over the LSGC to allow it to founder. John W still used to pop in for strings.....

And, S_A, you are not alone -

Comment

• ardcarp
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

I shall look forward to the programme. I couldn't find advanced details of it. I hope it will be presented (if it needs a presenter at all) by someone sensible and/or knowledgeable.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                  No, I sort found that too.
                  I found it, time and time again

Bream and Segovia (who, it appears, JW has criticised pretty harshly for his teaching "skills") both seemed more softly lyrical. JW was more of a Glenn Gould (I feel) it being technically virtuosic.
                  Segovia's teaching - huge subject - Segovia greatly disliked anything modern (see the recent Ponce COTW and thread), and was quite possibly not a nice man. Williams reacted strongly against him, Bream didn't need to having forged his own career entirely untouched by Segovia.... Looking at the Classical Guitar forum, I get the impression Segovia's stock is higher across the pond these days, where more of his former pupils hold sway....

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                    Not just you, I'm sure. But weren't most of us brought up with Segovia and Bream?
                    Maybe - it was always Williams first for me. I've always loved the precise naturalness of JW's playing, letting the music speak for itself (imo).

Re: the comparison with Gould, I don't find JW at all in that slightly deranged category of excessive precision
                    "...the isle is full of noises,
                    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                      Re: the comparison with Gould, I don't find JW at all in that slightly deranged category of excessive precision
                      Deranged - certainly not, but accuracy/technique above feeling?

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

and Yepes. But Williams was good and I quite liked Sky. Deranged eh?

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                          Ex-member
                          • Sep 2013

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                          and Yepes. But Williams was good and I quite liked Sky. Deranged eh?
                          I was judiciously avoiding any mention of Sky, from the off! You cannot be serious?

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

I was judiciously avoiding any mention of Sky, from the off! You cannot be serious?
                            That's for you to guess!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                              Deranged eh?
                              I don't find so - as I said in my post

I was talking about Gould. Hope anton's still away
                              "...the isle is full of noises,
                              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                              X