Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stanfordian
    • Dec 2010

Barenboim and the Staatskapelle Berlin release Elgar’s Symphony No. 1 on Decca

I've just heard what was described as a world exclusive clip on Classic FM of Daniel Barenboim conducting Staatskapelle Berlin in their forthcoming release of Elgar’s Symphony 1. If the taster of the 3rd movement is anything to go by we are in for a treat.
  • makropulos
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
    I've just heard what was described as a world exclusive clip on Classic FM of Daniel Barenboim conducting Staatskapelle Berlin in their forthcoming release of Elgar’s Symphony 1. If the taster of the 3rd movement is anything to go by we are in for a treat.
    That's encouraging, and I hope the rest of it is as good. I have to confess that I was very disappointed with their Second Symphony a couple of years ago, so fingers crossed.

Comment

• Stanfordian
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by makropulos View Post
      That's encouraging, and I hope the rest of it is as good. I have to confess that I was very disappointed with their Second Symphony a couple of years ago, so fingers crossed.
      Hiya makropulos,

Actually I loved Barenboim's recording of Elgar's Second Symphony dispite something odd going on with the sound at one point. Barenboim has certainly not been a stranger to Elgar whilst in Berlin. During Rattle's tenure with the Berliner Philharmoniker Rattle has taken two Elgar scores but has allowed Barenboim (Falstaff, The Dream of Gerontius and the Cello Concerto) and also Zinman, Kiril Peterenko and Runnicles to take the orchestra in Elgar's works. Of course Barenboim has also been playing some Elgar with his own Staatskapelle Berlin.
      Last edited by Stanfordian; 02-03-16, 14:25.

Comment

• makropulos
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
        Hiya makropulos,

Actually I loved Barenboim's recording of Elgar's Second Symphony dispite something odd going on with the sound at one point. During Rattle's tenure at Berlin he tended to allow Barenboim to take the Berliner Philharmoniker in Elgar.
        I really wanted to love it (I imagine we all know that feeling with some records) - and I'll certainly give No. 1 a try.

Comment

• Barbirollians
          • Nov 2010

I did enjoy his Elgar 2 a lot ( albeit there was a part of me that felt if you want a Barbirolliesque interpretation better just to listen to Barbirolli ) a bit like I have sometimes felt with Barenboim's Bruckner and Furtwangler .

Comment

• Keraulophone
            • Nov 2010

Really looking forward to this No.1, after enjoying the No.2 though, perhaps, more for the great orchestral playing than DB's interpretation. (My own preference would probably be for Boult on Lyrita, though it's unreasonable not have several favourites.) I was a bit surprised to hear DB's No.2 as the most recent BaL choice. As one might expect, Barenboim gave magnificent support to Alisa Weilerstein in the Cello Concerto with the BPO from the Sheldonian Theatre in their 2010 Europa Concert. (Those concerts 1991-2015 on 25 DVDs are available in a reasonably priced box from the BPO website.)

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

I will look out for the new Barenboim Elgar 1 on QOBUZ, but somehow doubt it will have much chance of replacing my affection for Stuttgarters/Norrington on Hänssler.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                Banned
                • Jul 2011

Qobuz is the world leader in 24-bit Hi-Res downloads, offering more than 100 million tracks for streaming in unequalled sound quality (FLAC 16 Bits / 44.1kHz)

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                  I have to wait until March 11 for mp3 streaming from QOBUZ.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                    I did enjoy his Elgar 2 a lot ( albeit there was a part of me that felt if you want a Barbirolliesque interpretation better just to listen to Barbirolli ) a bit like I have sometimes felt with Barenboim's Bruckner and Furtwangler .

Comment

• Pianoman
                      • Jan 2013

I was firmly in the 'disappointed' camp with Barenboim's Elgar 2, much as I admire him, and couldn't honestly understand how it 'won' Building a Library. Imo it can't hold a candle to Handley or Slatkin, to name two..

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Pianoman View Post
                        I was firmly in the 'disappointed' camp with Barenboim's Elgar 2, much as I admire him, and couldn't honestly understand how it 'won' Building a Library. Imo it can't hold a candle to Handley or Slatkin, to name two..
                        I wonder how it will compare to the 1970s LPO performance.

Comment

• Alison
                          • Nov 2010

I just wasn't drawn into the music in that Barenboim Elgar 2 and it will take more respected judges than Richard Morrison for me to shell out for the First!
                          Last edited by Alison; 02-03-16, 22:08.

Comment

• makropulos
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                            I wonder how it will compare to the 1970s LPO performance.
                            I'm hoping the new Elgar 1 will be a lot more coherent than his LPO recording - for me there are far too many places where that seems to lose motive power, or just to be "different" for the sake of it. Coming as it did hot on the heels of Solti's recording, Barenboim's early effort was something I found a depressing experience - but that was more than 40 years ago.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                              I just wasn't drawn into the music in that Barenboim Elgar 2 and it will take more respected judges than Richard Morrison for me to shell out for the First!
                              The reviewer who described the Barbirolli account as staid and stolid - the man has cloth ears. It was ironic he then chose a performance evidently inspired by Barbirolli .

Comment

Working...
                              X