Yehudi Menuhin. April the 22nd will be the 100th Anniversary of his birth.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Barbirollians
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Conchis View Post
    Wasn't Y.H. a strong supporter of the Tories and a Thatcher loyalist?

That doesn't make a him a 'bad man' in my book - but it does put him among a very small group of people (i.e., right of centre 'high cultural' figures).
    Where is your source for that ? He apparently walked out of a dinner party where Thatcher was ranting against the EU according to Iain Dale's book of reminiscences by people who knew Thatcher as he was so committed to it and in a speech to the Knesset to collect an award he had been given by the Israeli Government he criticised the occupation of the West Bank . I can find no record of him sitting as a Tory peer .

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Again, acc. to Lunchtime O'Boulez,, "Margaret Thatcher used to boast he was her next-door-neighbour in Belgravia and devoted ingenuity to engineering photo-opportunities with him beside her. Much to his annoyance." There were clearly things they disagreed on.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
        Again, acc. to Lunchtime O'Boulez,, "Margaret Thatcher used to boast he was her next-door-neighbour in Belgravia and devoted ingenuity to engineering photo-opportunities with him beside her. Much to his annoyance." There were clearly things they disagreed on.
        This was the only connection I could find too. Philosophically, they appeared to be light years apart.

Comment

• Conchis
          Banned
          • Jun 2014

Didn't Y.M. appear at Tory Party rallies in the eighties? I assumed that his motivation was Thatcher's 'no quarter' attitude to the Soviet Union and its human rights record.
          Last edited by Conchis; 28-04-16, 17:02.

Comment

• Barbirollians
            • Nov 2010

I have no memory at all of Yehudi Menuhin at those rallies - Kenny Everett and Vince Hill yes but not Menuhin.

Comment

Working...
            X