Future of classical music on TV = no future?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gurnemanz
    • Nov 2010

Future of classical music on TV = no future?

More retrograde development if Lunchtime O'Boulez in today's Private Eye is to be believed. BBC rumour factory points to "no future" for classical music on TV. With 16 Arts Dept members already culled, attention is turning to Mark Cooper's Music Television. If it bites the dust all classical music could be relegated to online only like BBC3
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

I missed Mark Cooper's appointment in 2013. He hasn't done a lot so far anyway. I'm always confused as to whether they consider, eg a documentary about … Shostakovich, as being 'classical music on television'. Because apart from a few Proms during the summer, what else is there besides documentaries?
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• jean
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

The occasional opera? That's what I'd like to see more of!

Comment

• subcontrabass
        • Nov 2010

In an ideal world this should lead to MORE televised music becoming available, as they would no longer have to worry about scheduling broadcasts or editing programmes to fit a timeslot, merely needing to park the programme on the website.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

So what's happened to Jan Younghusband? I thought things were looking promising not long ago?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
            So what's happened to Jan Younghusband? I thought things were looking promising not long ago?
            She's described as "Head of Commissioning for Music Television", so I presume is under the Management of the "Head of Music Television" (as is his successor as "Creative Head of Music Entertainment") and, for all I know the "Music Research Head (People's Front of Judea)" the "Consultant Music Resources (Judean People's Front)" and the "Co-Ordinator of Music Pathways (Lives on Same Street as Rebecca Front)"?

Budget restraints are probably responsible for scarcity of Music Performance broadcasts.
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Pulcinella
              Host
              • Feb 2014

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post

Budget restraints are probably responsible for scarcity of Music Performance broadcasts.
              I'm sure I'm not the first to suggest it, but the BBC could save an awful lot of money if they scrapped pointless live outside broadcasts from places where nothing is happening but they feel somehow it makes the reporting more relevant/interesting/exciting (you choose!): 10 Downing Street; Scotland Yard; Crown courts; countless other places.

Comment

• teamsaint
                • Nov 2010

always a handy excuse, even though choices have to be made.

Wiltshire council, for instance, want to scrap subsidies on regular bus services, while keeping the cash guzzling and next to useless park and ride service in Salisbury.

Go figure.

If you can get there of course.
                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                  • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                  I'm sure I'm not the first to suggest it, but the BBC could save an awful lot of money if they scrapped pointless live outside broadcasts from places where nothing is happening but they feel somehow it makes the reporting more relevant/interesting/exciting (you choose!): 10 Downing Street; Scotland Yard; Crown courts; countless other places.
                  Yes!

Comment

• Pianorak
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                    Hear, hear!!
                    My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

so I presume is under the Management of the "Head of Music Television" (as is his successor as "Creative Head of Music Entertainment") and, for all I know the "Music Research Head (People's Front of Judea)" the "Consultant Music Resources (Judean People's Front)" and the "Co-Ordinator of Music Pathways (Lives on Same Street as Rebecca Front)"?
                      And with the Director of Music [real] hovering somewhere up in the higher arky.
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

"More TV and radio channels means more choice."

Yeah. . . right.

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

This is the actual thing. Lunchtime Beeb-bashing or … ?

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Originally posted by jean View Post
                            The occasional opera? That's what I'd like to see more of!
                            I know that some members of the forum get a little defensive when non-BBC channels are mentioned, but I have to draw attention to this wonderful production which I watched this week:

There has been a wonderful array of ROH opera and ballet productions recently:

It would be a shame if the BBC left all televised music to the other channels.

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
                              It would be a shame if the BBC left all televised music to the other channels.
                              The more there is elsewhere, the less pressure on the BBC to continue with it, and to quote forced budget cuts.

Comment

Working...
                              X