Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Padraig
    • Feb 2013

I have been listening to Biber's Rosary Sonatas. The Sorrowful Mysteries seem appropriate for Lent.

Comment

• vinteuil
      • Nov 2010

... as a lapsed Catholic I suppose I have a feel for the shape of the year; as an atheist it has less significance. I listen to religious music a lot of the time - mainly Bach, but also earlier polyphony and French baroque. I'm sure over the next months I shall be listening to various Lenten and Passion and Easter stuff : but I think I listen to such music all the year round.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

Not made it onto Naxos yet though.

... at those prices, I'll manage with what I've got!

This is a piece I struggle with; might try again (I have a copy of the score, which ought to help!).
        The white-cold austere detachment I find utterly enthralling, but it is a once-a-year experience.

En passant, and perhaps for the Missing persons thread, does anyone remember and know what became of our Stravinsky fan Threni, quite a prolific poster on the/a previous board?
        I think his absence has been noted there - I can't remember anyone offering an explanation for it. A pity - he had many useful and illuminating things to say, and said them with clarity and eloquence. The Forum is the poorer without him.
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
          Religious music in my collection, which includes all the Bach cantatas, is there because I enjoy it just as music and not for its spiritual connotations.Although I am an atheist I can't ignore a whole history of religious music, or its drama, the St Matthew Passion for example.

I suspect that most of us like to try fitting our music listening to events of the church year, and I was educated in the Anglican tradition, so yes, I have tried the experiment of choosing appropriate music. It's rather fun hearing the individual cantatas of the Christmas Oratorio on the correct days over the festive season. For me the most haunting piece of religious music is The Symphony of Psalms.
          It is the Music "alone" which compels my attention, too - just as it is the Artists' skill rather than the subject matter in visual Art: the "how" rather than the "what". Hearing certain works regularly at particular parts of the year gives a "shape" to the year - a biographical focus - for me.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
            It is the Music "alone" which compels my attention, too - just as it is the Artists' skill rather than the subject matter in visual Art: the "how" rather than the "what". Hearing certain works regularly at particular parts of the year gives a "shape" to the year - a biographical focus - for me.
            From your redaction I rather suspect that you admire Gerontius!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

From your redaction I rather suspect that you admire Gerontius!
              - BIG fan since I first heard it when I was fifteen. (The Sargant/Heddle Nash recording will be my "Tribute to Sals" choice this weekend).

But the redaction was to concentrate on what I agreed with in your Post.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                Ex-member
                • Sep 2013

- BIG fan since I first heard it when I was fifteen. (The Sargant/Heddle Nash recording will be my "Tribute to Sals" choice this weekend).

I couldn't afford a recording of Parsifal back then, either.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                  I couldn't afford a recording of Parsifal back then, either.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

For the Tallis, I have Jeremy Summerly with the Oxford Camerata on NAXOS (who also perform other setting s of the Lamentations by Palestrina, Lassus and de Brito) and Pro Cantione Antiqua, led by Mark Brown on REGIS.

For Krenek's set-ting , I have the Marcus Creed/RIAS Kammerchor recording on Harmonia Mundi (and I've just seen another version with the Netherlands Chamber Choir under Uwe Gronostay which will give my debit card a bit of exercise).

And then, of course (which I forgot to include on my list) there's Stravinsky's Threni. (Sadly, shockingly, only one recording - that by the composer himself. So sad that Robert Craft wasn't able to get round to recording it for KOCH/NAXOS - cause for lamentation, indeed.)
                    Thanks, ferney, I'll look those up! I think, come to think of it, I have The Sixteen Choir, doing the Jeremiah
                    Don’t cry for me
                    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                      • Nov 2010

I'm glad you enjoy Gerontius, it's just that I can't resist a dig at enthusiasts! That said, as a tribute to Salymap it will be a very appropriate choice, she will be much missed.
                      bws Ferret

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

I'm glad you enjoy Gerontius, it's just that I can't resist a dig at enthusiasts!
                        Oooh, I know! The sheer self-restraint clavier moi whenever anyone mentions George Lloyd could fuel a city for a week!

That said, as a tribute to Salymap it will be a very appropriate choice, she will be much missed.
                        bws Ferret

Comment

• mangerton
                          • Nov 2010

I'll be listening to my recordings of Bach's Passions, Schütz's Matthäus Passion, Tallis's Lamentations, and Gesualdo's Tenebrae Responses.

I shall avoid as far as possible Stainer's Crucifixion (my views are in accord with Beecham's), Maunder's From O to C, and Gerontius.

At Easter, I shall listen to Bach's Easter oratorio, and "Easter Mass in Venice", both recordings by Gabrieli Consort, cond McCreesh.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                            Late Member
                            • Nov 2010

Ah Gesualdo! Yes! Anything?
                            Don’t cry for me
                            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                            X