• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BBMmk2
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

Easter 2016

With Ash Wednesday upon us, the Season of Lent has arrived for 2016.

What I was wondering, do Forum Members, tend to play more religious music at this time of year, than at any other?

If so, what recordings do you like to listen to, or would like?
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750
  • Barbirollians
    • Nov 2010

As I am not religious - the answer is generally no - yet I always tend to find myself playing the St Matthew Passion ( Gardiner DG recording) about Easter time

Comment

• ardcarp
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

...and the St John. Current fave is NCO and Higginbottom.

Comment

• jean
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

I've got lots of recordings of various settings of the Lamentations, and I always mean to play them at this time of year but often don't get round to it.

I get to sing quite a lot of seasonal stuff - some of the Gesualdo Tenebrae responsories this year. Haven't thought about Easter yet.

Comment

• ardcarp
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

...and thanks for reminding me Jean. The Victoria Tenebrae (Gorge Malcolm and WCC) on vinyl get a spin around this time.

Comment

• jean
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

I've got that LP somewhere - never surpassed, in spite of all the traffic noise!

Comment

• Petrushka
              • Nov 2010

Coincidentally, playing 'Evensong for Ash Wednesday' disc 12 in the King's College Choir box.
              "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

This year will be the centenary of the Easter Uprising. Did the Irish Republicans have any revolutionary Catholic hymns apart from Onward Fenian Brethren we could play? Or would that idea be a contradiction in terms?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

For Passiontide, the Schutz and Bach Passions (and this year, having found a copy of the score for a quid, Pebderecki's "St Luke"); Haydn's Seven Last Words; Tallis and Krenek's Lamentations; Plainchant for Good Friday (the DG recording of the Chant School of Munsterschwarzach Benedictine Abbey); and various Stabat Maters from the Eton Choirbook.

For Easter itself, the Plainchant for Easter Sunday, and Bach's "Easter Oratorio".
                  Last edited by ferneyhoughgeliebte; 11-02-16, 00:17.
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• BBMmk2
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

We did a fantastic Misserre(Allegeri) at our school's Chapel, yesterday.

Now that's another work, The Lamentations(Jeremiah the Prophet?). (Recordings?)
                    Don’t cry for me
                    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• mahlerei
                      • Jun 2015

ThisEaster:

Alexander Grechaninov: Passion Week (Chandos)
                      Maximilian Steinberg: Passion Week (Cappella Romana)
                      Osvaldo Golijov: La Pasión según San Marcos (DG)

The Steinberg is a recent find; the other two are old favourites. The Golijov is well worth exploring.

Not a great fan of 'the holy minimalist' but this is a remarkable piece, superbly sung by the US group Chanticleer:

John Tavener: Lamentations & Praises (Teldec)
                      Last edited by mahlerei; 11-02-16, 11:00.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                        Now that's another work, The Lamentations(Jeremiah the Prophet?). (Recordings?)
                        For the Tallis, I have Jeremy Summerly with the Oxford Camerata on NAXOS (who also perform other setting s of the Lamentations by Palestrina, Lassus and de Brito) and Pro Cantione Antiqua, led by Mark Brown on REGIS.

For Krenek's set-ting , I have the Marcus Creed/RIAS Kammerchor recording on Harmonia Mundi (and I've just seen another version with the Netherlands Chamber Choir under Uwe Gronostay which will give my debit card a bit of exercise).

And then, of course (which I forgot to include on my list) there's Stravinsky's Threni. (Sadly, shockingly, only one recording - that by the composer himself. So sad that Robert Craft wasn't able to get round to recording it for KOCH/NAXOS - cause for lamentation, indeed.)
                        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Pulcinella
                          Host
                          • Feb 2014

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                          And then, of course (which I forgot to include on my list) there's Stravinsky's Threni. (Sadly, shockingly, only one recording - that by the composer himself. So sad that Robert Craft wasn't able to get round to recording it for KOCH/NAXOS - cause for lamentation, indeed.)
                          But he did:

Not made it onto Naxos yet though.
                          This is a piece I struggle with; might try again (I have a copy of the score, which ought to help!).
                          En passant, and perhaps for the Missing persons thread, does anyone remember and know what became of our Stravinsky fan Threni, quite a prolific poster on the/a previous board?

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                            • Nov 2010

Religious music in my collection, which includes all the Bach cantatas, is there because I enjoy it just as music and not for its spiritual connotations.Although I am an atheist I can't ignore a whole history of religious music, or its drama, the St Matthew Passion for example.

Polyphonic church music doesn't do much for me, even though I enjoyed singing Byrd and Tallis at school, and I loath the incense laden atmosphere of works like The Dream of Gerontius.

I suspect that most of us like to try fitting our music listening to events of the church year, and I was educated in the Anglican tradition, so yes, I have tried the experiment of choosing appropriate music. It's rather fun hearing the individual cantatas of the Christmas Oratorio on the correct days over the festive season. For me the most haunting piece of religious music is The Symphony of Psalms.

Comment

• jean
                              Late member
                              • Nov 2010

If I took any time off from Renaissance polyphony, I'd listen to Poulenc's Quatre motets pour un temps de pénitence.

Comment

Working...
                              X