• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MrGongGong
    • Nov 2010

Birds in Quartet for the end of Time

A quick research question
    Does anyone have or know about an analysis of the first movement which shows the birdsong quotations? (Nightingale and Blackbird)
    The opening is obvious but I hear other fragments in the first movement.
    For what I need it's just that one (the concert i'm working on will only have the first movement ..... yes yes I know it's a "bleeding chunk" but in the context it should work perfectly to illustrate the transition from heard sounds in the environment to "composed music")

Any thoughts most gratefully received

thanks
  • Beef Oven!
    Ex-member
    • Sep 2013

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
    Does anyone have or know about an analysis of the first movement which shows the birdsong quotations? (Nightingale and Blackbird)
    For what I need it's just that one (the concert i'm working on will only have the first movement ..... yes yes I know it's a "bleeding chunk" but in the context it should work perfectly to illustrate the transition from heard sounds in the environment to "composed music")

thanks
    Must it be QPLFDT?

Einar England's Symphony No. 2 (Blackbird) has the flute mimicking a blackbird, from the word go.

Comment

• MrGongGong
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
      Must it be QPLFDT?

Einar England's Symphony No. 2 (Blackbird) has the flute mimicking a blackbird, from the word go.
      It needs to be the Messiaen
      but the Einar is interesting (and Rautavaara, Hovhannes et al)

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

And Mozart 40.
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

thanks
          Taking you at your word a birder writes, nervously - coming to the piece with a relatively innocent ear, but forewarned, the nightingale fragments fairly obvious, blackbird less so (given that each individual blackbird song is an original composition with a certain amount of mimicry I was looking for patterns). Certain repeated phrases made me think song thrush, and at one point a wren.

But - if it helps, and you haven't already come across her, I'd refer you to the work of Joan Hall-Craggs, e.g. see this synopsis and this article. She was both a musician (pianist and cellist I think) and a bio-acoustics expert who wrote extensively on the subject especially blackbirds.

Comment

• MrGongGong
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
            Taking you at your word a birder writes, nervously - coming to the piece with a relatively innocent ear, but forewarned, the nightingale fragments fairly obvious, blackbird less so (given that each individual blackbird song is an original composition with a certain amount of mimicry I was looking for patterns). Certain repeated phrases made me think song thrush, and at one point a wren.

But - if it helps, and you haven't already come across her, I'd refer you to the work of Joan Hall-Craggs, e.g. see this synopsis and this article. She was both a musician (pianist and cellist I think) and a bio-acoustics expert who wrote extensively on the subject especially blackbirds.
            Brilliant, thanks (plenty of things they to divert and procrastinate )
            Last edited by MrGongGong; 10-02-16, 12:52.

Comment

• Pulcinella
              Host
              • Feb 2014

I googled Paul Griffiths Messiaen birdsong, thinking that he might have written something, and came across this, which you may well have discovered: a PhD thesis.

A very quick skim found mention of identified birdsong in the Quartet on page 7 of the thesis, so I suspect more is mentioned later.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                I googled Paul Griffiths Messiaen birdsong, thinking that he might have written something, and came across this, which you may well have discovered: a PhD thesis.

A very quick skim found mention of identified birdsong in the Quartet on page 7 of the thesis, so I suspect more is mentioned later.
                Thanks for this , fascinating stuff
                It's a shame the Pdf doesn't include the examples (which is what i'm after) but I can track down the author and ask for them.

Comment

• ardcarp
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

Fascinating question. Another possible avenue is to know where M. was interned while writing it, and what birdlife might have been in the vicinity?

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                    Fascinating question. Another possible avenue is to know where M. was interned while writing it, and what birdlife might have been in the vicinity?
                    Wiki says Stalag VlllA - the list of birds with a more easterly distribution would be considerable, the bird list for the area would be many hundreds....I don't imagine OM, who had poor eyesight, would have had access to binoculars....the handiest reference here would be Gerard Gorman's Birding in Eastern Europe, pages 168-191 for Poland (as it is today).

Gorman says: "Author's Tip - Scrutinise nightingales carefully - Common Nightingale the norm, but Thrush Nightingale's westernmost limit not far away". Lars Svensson in the Collins Bird Guide says of the Thrush Nightingale's song: "Song more loud than beautiful (still remarkable!), series of tongue-clicking and gurgling notes, the verses often introduced by a few pensive sharp whistles. Audible for kilometres on still nights". Here it is.....
                    Last edited by Guest; 10-02-16, 14:02.

Comment

• makropulos
                      • Nov 2010

thanks
                      One important point: this was a decade before OM began the systematic transcription of birdsong, so what you get in the Quartet is impressionistic and almost certainly remembered rather than heard while he was in Stalag VIII-A at Görlitz. The description of the birds is much more vague too. The opening clarinet and violin phrases are both marked "like a bird" (unspecified) and in the Preface they are described as "a blackbird or a nightingale" and the intention is to evoke the dawn chorus. I'm not sure there's anything more scientific than that for Messiaen in 1941 - though it is a first as the earliest mention of birdsong in a Messiaen score. You might (or my not) find something useful in my book: Messiaen (which I co-wrote with Peter Hill, Yale University Press, 2005), pp. 97 onwards.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by makropulos View Post
                        One important point: this was a decade before OM began the systematic transcription of birdsong, so what you get in the Quartet is impressionistic and almost certainly remembered rather than heard while he was in Stalag VIII-A at Görlitz. The description of the birds is much more vague too. The opening clarinet and violin phrases are both marked "like a bird" (unspecified) and in the Preface they are described as "a blackbird or a nightingale" and the intention is to evoke the dawn chorus. I'm not sure there's anything more scientific than that for Messiaen in 1941 - though it is a first as the earliest mention of birdsong in a Messiaen score. You might (or my not) find something useful in my book: Messiaen (which I co-wrote with Peter Hill, Yale University Press, 2005), pp. 97 onwards.
                        Many thanks for this which is exactly what I was after.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                          • Nov 2010

Chronochromie is a quite spectacular depiction I always think .

Comment

• makropulos
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                            Chronochromie is a quite spectacular depiction I always think .
                            Breathtaking - yes - and by then OM really knew what he was doing with birdsong, after the dazzling use of them in Oiseaux exotiques and Catalogue d'oiseaux - and before then with Réveil des oiseaux (which I personally find a bit dry, although fascinating).

Comment

• Lento
                              • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                              Must it be QPLFDT?

Advance apologies for a trivial and unhelpful post, but I've just had a vision of a battery of percussion imitating a lyrebird imitating everything in the forest!

Comment

Working...
                              X