X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Flay
    • Mar 2007

DIY piano tuning. Have you done it?

My piano is not the best (Alexander Herrman) but I'm not a pianist so can't justify splashing out on another. However I do like to tinkle out a tune or two. The problem is it needs tuning (and ideally raising a little to get to concert pitch).

Before splashing out on a piano tuner again (it seems to need that more than I would like) I wonder if I should try to do it myself, as a little project and learning experience. The tools aren't costly.

Has anyone tried this. Is it worth the effort, or do I risk runing it?
    Pacta sunt servanda !!!
  • ahinton
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flay View Post
    My piano is not the best (Alexander Herrman) but I'm not a pianist so can't justify splashing out on another. However I do like to tinkle out a tune or two. The problem is it needs tuning (and ideally raising a little to get to concert pitch).

Before splashing out on a piano tuner again (it seems to need that more than I would like) I wonder if I should try to do it myself, as a little project and learning experience. The tools aren't costly.

Has anyone tried this. Is it worth the effort, or do I risk runing it?
    I presume that you mean "ruining" and, as the answer to that is "yes", the answer to your question as to whether you should try it yourself is decidedly "NO"!

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Definitely not a DIY job. If you want the pitched raised, even more definite. Put any proposed expenditure on tools into getting a properly qualified tuner to have a look. An attempted DIY job could lead to broken strings or worse - and an even bigger bill in the long run.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Don't even think about it.

Definitely a job for the pros.

On a more general note, it never ceases to amaze me that people are happy to have their cars serviced bang on time and with strict regularity, but will buy a piano and never have it tuned until it's reached the stage at which it's beyond salvaging.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
          Definitely not a DIY job.

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
          I presume that you mean "ruining" and, as the answer to that is "yes", the answer to your question as to whether you should try it yourself is decidedly "NO"!

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
          Don't even think about it.
          Definitely a job for the pros.

Remember when you were nobbut a lad, Flay, and weren't used to the effects of alcohol ... and you did that really, really stupid thing that you don't want anyone to remind you about?

It would look like Einstein when compared with the folly of attempting to do your own Piano tuning. And without the alcohol to blame!
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Flay
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
            Remember when you were nobbut a lad, Flay, and weren't used to the effects of alcohol ... and you did that really, really stupid thing that you don't want anyone to remind you about?
            Oh gosh. Have even you heard about that?

I'll take it that on balance the general opinion is a no then shall I?
            Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Jonathan
              • Mar 2007

As if you hadn't decided not to already Flay, I would also say don't do it! A friend of mine ruined his piano attempting this very thing and personally, I always get someone in for tuning.
              Best regards,
              Jonathan

Comment

• MrGongGong
                • Nov 2010

There's a big difference between tweaking the odd out of tune string and tuning the whole piano particularly if you want to raise it to 'concert' pitch (whatever that is 440, 442, 444, 432 ).

Generally DON'T go there.
                Piano tuning is remarkably cheap given the level of skill involved.

Comment

• Roslynmuse
                  • Jul 2011

Yup, I'm with everyone else on here. Piano tuning is an art that requires patience and dedication and much training...

That said, my piano teacher occasionally would tweak the Steinway in his studio with what looked like something for removing the wheels off a car...

...and, when I was a child, the piano tuner asked my mother to heat the poker in fire in order to do something unspeakable to some part of the instrument...

It was never the same again.

And we found a different piano tuner...

Comment

• Flay
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                    Piano tuning is remarkably cheap given the level of skill involved.
                    Point taken. I shouldn't deprive an expert of well-earned fees.

And to be fair, the last tuner said he doubted if it would hold a higher pitch. But I just wondered if it would be worth it.

Out of interest, how do people get into the profession. Are there college courses, or is it an apprenticeship? (Don't worry, I have no plans...)
                    Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• vinteuil
                      • Nov 2010

... I wd support the others who say "Desist!"

I have had various nineteenth-century pianos where I have been brave enough to tune an occasional string that had slipped, but never more than that.

Why, tho', do you want to raise the whole piano to current 'concert pitch'? Is it bicoz you will be playing with other performers who are stuck with instruments at A = 440? - 'cos if you're just playing for yourself, then surely the key (groan) thing is that the piano is in tune with itself - let A 440 go hang, I say! - you can always imagine you were in a pre-1870 German statelet - perhaps Reuss-Greiz or Reuss-Gera - and the 'concert pitch' prevailing there at the time was - A 437 - or - A 429...

Last edited by vinteuil; 06-02-16, 17:11.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flay View Post
                        Point taken. I shouldn't deprive an expert of well-earned fees.

And to be fair, the last tuner said he doubted if it would hold a higher pitch. But I just wondered if it would be worth it.

Out of interest, how do people get into the profession. Are there college courses, or is it an apprenticeship? (Don't worry, I have no plans...)
                        So good they named it twice?

Comment

• vinteuil
                          • Nov 2010

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

I did once have some training on how to tune a harpsichord. That was bad enough, but a piano, with multiple strings is much worse. If a perfect 5th really were a perfect 5th in equal temperament, things might not be so bad. As it is, one tiny error becomes multiplied as you move forward.

Comment

• Flay
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                              Why, tho', do you want to raise the whole piano to current 'concert pitch'? Is it bicoz you will be playing with other performers who are stuck with instruments at A = 440?
                              It could happen, but I wouldn't be the one playing. No, it's not so important.
                              Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

Working...
                              X