X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stanfordian
    • Dec 2010

Sir Simon's new role

Last Friday Sir Simon Rattle made his Wigmore Hall debut as a pianist accompanying Magdalena Kožená (Lady Rattle) in recital together with several other musicians. I knew he played piano but didn’t know he was at the level to accompany at such a prestigious chamber venue as the Wigmore. Maybe he played ad-lid percussion too.
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
    ad-lid percussion
    A certain free jazz pianist we booked did that on the establishment's piano, leading us to be banned thenceforth from hiring the venue.

Comment

• Stanfordian
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      A certain free jazz pianist we booked did that on the establishment's piano, leading us to be banned thenceforth from hiring the venue.
      Hiya Serial_Apologist,

Nice image though. Somehow I can't see Sir Simon getting barred from the Wigmore Hall.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
        Ex-member
        • Sep 2013

A bit off topic, but have people noticed that SR's new BPO Sibelius 1-7 CD box-set isn't available in the UK? It's on Qobuz, though.

Comment

• pastoralguy
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
          A bit off topic, but have people noticed that SR's new BPO Sibelius 1-7 CD box-set isn't available in the UK? It's on Qobuz, though.
          It's available from Presto for a little over £50. I've just bought one and am rubbing my little hands with glee in anticipation of its arrival!

Comment

• Beef Oven!
            Ex-member
            • Sep 2013

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
            It's available from Presto for a little over £50. I've just bought one and am rubbing my little hands with glee in anticipation of its arrival!
            Lucky fellow!

Comment

• Flay
              • Mar 2007

Last Friday Sir Simon Rattle made his Wigmore Hall debut as a pianist accompanying Magdalena Kožená (Lady Rattle) in recital together with several other musicians. I knew he played piano but didn’t know he was at the level to accompany at such a prestigious chamber venue as the Wigmore. Maybe he played ad-lid percussion too.
              Back in 1972 he was the pianist for the Merseyside Youth Orchestra* - no longer just percussion. This was at the Fourth International Festival of Youth Orchestras in Lausanne. I recall him slamming effortlessly through the "12 Days of Christmas" on an upright piano at a disco/dance there - each verse a semitone higher. Happy days

*yours truly is in with that lot
              Last edited by Flay; 04-02-16, 23:10. Reason: "Just" added just in case somebody nit-picks
              Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Flay View Post
                Back in 1972 he was the pianist for the Merseyside Youth Orchestra* - no longer just percussion. This was at the Fourth International Festival of Youth Orchestras in Lausanne. I recall him slamming effortlessly through the "12 Days of Christmas" on an upright piano at a disco/dance there - each verse a semitone higher. Happy days

*yours truly is in with that lot
                Was that the Trotskyist Fourth International, Flay?

Comment

• Barbirollians
                  • Nov 2010

How very odd that his new BPO cycle has disappeared - one could always console oneself with the CBSO cycle for about £11.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                    • Nov 2010

I thought the same as you on his piano skills. I read a rave review in the Indie which speaks of "unobtrusive competence". Online here.

Comment

• Flay
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                      Was that the Trotskyist Fourth International, Flay?
                      No but our behaviour was fairly anarchic!
                      Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• mahlerei
                        • Jun 2015

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                        How very odd that his new BPO cycle has disappeared - one could always console oneself with the CBSO cycle for about £11.
                        Even better, Okko Kamu's new Lahti cycle for around £22. Far, far superior to Rattle's, IMO.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                          One is supposed to buy Berliner Philharmoniker recordings from its online shop. My review set came from Berlin. Personally I would not bother with the Sibelius set that comes with CDs and Blu-ray music and videos of the concert. I enjoyed the set but there are better accounts this cycle these available.

Comment

Working...
                          X