X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
    I hope not but a 4 month break is pretty short.
    Presumably her choice then.

Some people just cant keep away from work........
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
      Ex-member
      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post

Some people just cant keep away from their work........
      Especially a job like that. It's not uncommon for women in roles like this to take a shorter break. And 4 months is a long time anyway ......

Comment

• Barbirollians
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post

Some people just cant keep away from work........
        Yes I have known quite a few women struggle having assumed they could take a shorter maternity leave than the 9 months that is common. 4 months is short if coinciding commonly with the first and hopefully only bout of separation anxiety for a very small child . I remember that vividly - my son being very anxious suddenly at that age without his mum. I remember changing him in a pub toilet and him suddenly screaming his head off . It is also common for it to recur at nine months - fortunately not with him !

Comment

• greenilex
          • Nov 2010

Would it be unwise to try conducting with a baby on one’s back? Extra hard physically, but not impossible until the child is sitting up.

Comment

• Barbirollians
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by greenilex View Post
            Would it be unwise to try conducting with a baby on one’s back? Extra hard physically, but not impossible until the child is sitting up.
            You might find that the baby makes unexpected changes to the score by adding an atonal vocal element

Comment

• BBMmk2
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

I remember a tv programme that Zubi Mehta gave and there was this heavily pregnant woman, and he gave her The Rite of Spring!
              Don’t cry for me
              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                I remember a tv programme that Zubi Mehta gave and there was this heavily pregnant woman, and he gave her The Rite of Spring!
                I remember that - it was a series of Masteclasses broadcast on BBC2 in the late '70s/early '80s with the Israel Phil. But Mehta didn't deliberately "give" the work to her - it was one of the "Set Pieces" that all the young conductors had to do. I remember the embarrassment of the Second Violin leader trying to explain his difficulty following her beat whilst trying to avoid saying that it was because of her bump!

Mehta was more devilish with another conductor who'd obviously spent months getting the baton gestures accurate for the Rite, only for Mehta to tell him to stop beating ... and the orchestra continued for ages without him!
                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• bluestateprommer
                  • Nov 2010

Good news that MG-T and the CBSO have agreed to another 2 years to her music directorship:

I was sort of surprised that it took this long to announce an extension of her contract, given the general good feelings about her CBSO tenure. But it's understandable to want to have all the i's dotted and t's crossed on the agreement.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                    Ex-member
                    • Sep 2013

Originally posted by bluestateprommer View Post
                    Good news that MG-T and the CBSO have agreed to another 2 years to her music directorship:

I was sort of surprised that it took this long to announce an extension of her contract, given the general good feelings about her CBSO tenure. But it's understandable to want to have all the i's dotted and t's crossed on the agreement.

Great news!

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                      • Nov 2010

I've signed up for some of this,hope she's back from maternity leave by then,maybe that's why Gidon Kremer is on the bench

Weinberg's violin concerto next year too

Comment

• bluestateprommer
                        • Nov 2010

Unfortunate news update on MG-T, per the CBSO last Friday:

"We have also recently been informed that our Music Director, Mirga Gražinytė-Tyla, has just tested positive for COVID-19. Mirga is recovering in self-isolation at home. The CBSO are following advice from Public Health England and all staff and orchestra members have been informed. We would like to wish Mirga a speedy recovery and look forward to seeing her when she is next with us in May."
                        To make it even crazier, she's pregnant:

Let's hope she and her family, and the bun in the oven, all get through this unscathed.

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by bluestateprommer View Post
                          Chances are, with here age and the current stage of research regarding whether umbilical communication of the virus takes place, both she and the baby should turn out fine after a pretty traumatic week or so. Let's hope that is indeed the case.

Comment

• bluestateprommer
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                            Chances are, with here age and the current stage of research regarding whether umbilical communication of the virus takes place, both she and the baby should turn out fine after a pretty traumatic week or so. Let's hope that is indeed the case.
                            MG-T has recovered, if this video posted by the CBSO on Twitter last week is anything to go by:

The Salzburg Festival appearance that MG-T mentioned was originally set for July 19, with Britten's War Requiem (including Russian soprano, British tenor, German baritone), but that scheduled date is obviously not happening, as it says "Abgesagt" (Cancelled) on the Festival's site. Plus, assuming that her bun in the oven is safe and healthy, she'd be close to 8 months pregnant by then.

Comment

Working...
                            X