X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Roslynmuse
    • Jul 2011

RIP Aurèle Nicolet

The Swiss flautist Aurèle Nicolet has died at the age of 90. I associate his name with my first acquaintance with the Karl Richter recordings of the Bach Brandenburg Concertos and numerous other DG Archiv recordings; I hadn't realised he'd commissioned and premiered much new music too.
  • doversoul1
    Ex Member
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Roslynmuse View Post
    The Swiss flautist Aurèle Nicolet has died at the age of 90. I associate his name with my first acquaintance with the Karl Richter recordings of the Bach Brandenburg Concertos and numerous other DG Archiv recordings; I hadn't realised he'd commissioned and premiered much new music too.
    In my youth I prided myself in knowing Nicolet when the whole world (so it seemed to me then) was admiring J-P Rampal. Happy days.

R.I.P.

Comment

• Tony Halstead
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
      In my youth I prided myself in knowing Nicolet when the whole world (so it seemed to me then) was admiring J-P Rampal. Happy days.

R.I.P.
      When I was at music college ( RMCM) in the early 1960s and being tutored in wind ensemble playing by the great Geoffrey Gilbert, it was he who told me that Nicolet was principal flute in the Berlin Philharmonic, and so could be heard on many of the DGG Karajan recordings of the time.
      I was subsequently 'bowled over' when in 1985 I was asked to be the 'official' piano accompanist at a BFS event at the Queen Elizabeth Hall in London celebrating the Marcel Moyse centenary. With only about 20 minutes rehearsal for each player I accompanied ( in no particular order either alphabetically or 'of merit') Aurele Nicolet, Peter-Lukas Graf, William Bennett, Charles Dagninon, Edward Beckett, Susan Milan and Michel Debost.
      I seem to remember that Monsieur Nicolet played a very tricky piece by Enesco and I wished at the time that we had more time to rehearse it! I also remember that he had a wonderfully varied 'palette'of sound, from the merest whisper of tone to a very full-blooded and almost 'brassy' tone in the flute's low register.
      RIP
      Aurèle Nicolet
      Last edited by Tony Halstead; 31-01-16, 09:45.

Comment

• BBMmk2
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

How sad. I loved his playing of Bach, hmm flute sonatas, I think?
        Don’t cry for me
        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

オーレル・ニコレ・・・武満徹「Air」。オーレル・ニコレの70才の誕生日のために作曲された武満徹の遺作。

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

Very sad. Earlier he was one of my flute heroes, with a lovely tone. I didn't reaiise that he'd been in the BPO.
            Flute players can produce different types of sound, though I don't always know quite how they do it. Maybe they don't always either. Some perhaps only have one basic type of tone, while others may be able to vary their sound. Sometimes one hears a player who really has a distinctive and lovely sound. I think Nicolet was one of those.

RIP
            Aurèle Nicolet

Comment

Working...
            X