• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

Folk Connections Weekend

Coming up this weekend :

Radio 3's Folk Connections.
    From sounds of the Appalachians to live performance from Glasgow - folk music on Radio 3

So , does this mark a new R3 commitment to the vibrant folk and roots scene?

Or is it just another box ticked for the suits ?

I happen to think that R3 would be a very good home for some solid in depth programming of this music, alongside the ( somewhat decimated) World Music "offer".

But then I like a bit of folk music, and hear a lot to enjoy from many contemporary folk musicians.

Will it all go the way of the other weekend specials, and just end up as a tattered poster, blowin' in the wind?

Perhaps best to enjoy what is on offer for now.
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.
  • Padraig
    • Feb 2013

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
    I happen to think that R3 would be a very good home for some solid in depth programming of this music, alongside the ( somewhat decimated) World Music "offer".

But then I like a bit of folk music, and hear a lot to enjoy from many contemporary folk musicians.
    This group for instance, ts?

Subscribe and 🔔 to the BBC 👉 https://bit.ly/BBCYouTubeSubWatch the BBC first on iPlayer 👉 https://bbc.in/iPlayer-Home See more at http://www.bbc.co.uk/lat...

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
      This group for instance, ts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6EIFD80f90
      not, TBF, my absolute faves, Padraig.
      by chance, I was doing a book launch at the Sidmouth Festival last year, and one of the girls was there , and sang a song unaccompanied as part of the fun.

Are you a fan of the Unthanks ?

here's a good one:

I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

or.....

Comment

• Padraig
          • Feb 2013

Are you a fan of the Unthanks ?
          The pick of the bunch for me, ts.

Edit. Not counting Irish traditional, though Dervish are a bit too poppy for my taste.

How about this:

Last edited by Padraig; 27-01-16, 21:59.

Comment

• Lat-Literal
            • Aug 2015

Coming up this weekend :

Radio 3's Folk Connections.
            From sounds of the Appalachians to live performance from Glasgow - folk music on Radio 3

So , does this mark a new R3 commitment to the vibrant folk and roots scene?

Or is it just another box ticked for the suits ?

Will it all go the way of the other weekend specials, and just end up as a tattered poster, blowin' in the wind?

Perhaps best to enjoy what is on offer for now.
            It is welcome.

I'm not sure that it is anything other than a special feature as the main folk programme appears firmly placed on Radio 2.

Arguably, the weekend is a broadening of Celtic Connections for which Radio 3 in many ways leads nationally. If so, it could become an annual event plus, of course, it supports the popular management concept of spreading content across stations including 2, 3 and Scotland. I would prefer all folk to be on Radio 3 but there is little likelihood of it happening.
            Last edited by Lat-Literal; 27-01-16, 23:45.

Comment

Working...
            X