X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DublinJimbo
    • Nov 2011

The Pearlfishers from the MET

I tried to catch this in one of the Dublin cinemas which were showing it, but the screening was sold out when I got there.

Did anybody see it? How was it?

I have fond memories of the opera, since it was my first exposure to the Wexford Festival way back in 1971. Those were the days when The Opera Train was going. For an all-in price we got train travel to and from Wexford from Dublin, with a ticket to the opera, Dinner on the train on the way down and supper on the way back (I remember that was my first experience of profiteroles). I'd heard great things about Wexford and its unique atmosphere, and everything I'd heard turned out to be true. It remains one of my fondest musical memories.

In those days, performances took place in a very basic venue, but that was utterly insignificant because production and performance standards were extraordinarily high. Most recently I went to the European premiere of Silent Night in the new opera house in 2014 and was wowed all over again. Because of the history which I connect with the opera I was really looking forward to seeing it again and was disappointed to have to resort to food and drink instead.
  • richardfinegold
    • Sep 2012

I was listening on the radio. I thought it was very good, but I've never seen it live

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
      • Apr 2007

As noted elsewhere on this forum, a few days ago I listened to the old CfP set under Pretre, having carefully read Winton Dean in advance and therefore aware that this is a deeply flawed work, over-dependent on styles of earlier, not very respectable French composers such as Gounod and David. In his opinion anyway.

I was very pleasantly surprised last night to "discover" via R3 that it really is a damn good, exciting, memorable work with great dramatic force. IMO of course!

I rather think this came over better from the Met than from CfP. Views??
      I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

Working...
      X