X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richardfinegold
    • Sep 2012

Unusual Horn Playing Technique

I was reading the American Record Guide and found this noteworthy review of Horn works by F.J. Haydn, Michaell Haydn, and a spurious Rondo of Mozart. The soloist is named Felix Kleiser, the disc is on the Berlin Label (Berlin 647). After commenting on the music, performances, tempos, etc, the reviewer then notes:
    "Normally, I would have ended the review with the sentence before this one, but there's a little more to say.
    Kleiser is playing a (valved, modern) horn but he has no arms. He was born without them and has worked out a way to use the valves with his toes and to control his tone and intonation without a hand to put in the horn's bell. It's a remarkable feat of will and dexterity and amazing that the sound of playing on this record gives no hint that he's doing anything out of the ordinary."
  • Jonathan
    • Mar 2007

I have a CD by this remarkable soloist. It includes (amongst others) a lovely recording of Rheinbergers Sonata and also Schumann's Adagio and Allegro. I agree with the reviewer that you can't tell he has no arms. The CD is called Reveries and is on BR label.
    Best regards,
    Jonathan

Comment

Working...
    X