Concert programmes - The Times - Benedetti etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Concert programmes - The Times - Benedetti etc.

Apparently there is an article in the Times today about the use of programme notes at concerts. I've not seen it yet myself.

The suggestion is that programme notes in printed form are no longer necessary. While I understand this, and indeed I probably have as much or more technology stuff than many others, I think there are advantages in NOT having programme notes available in electronic form during concerts or dramatic productions.

There are several reasons for this.

1. Electronic displays give out quite a lot of light. It's already obvious at places like the RAH that many people are looking at iPhones and similar devices - even iPads or computer screens, and this is a distraction for others. I may have done this myself - inadvertently, but now I'd try to avoid that.

2. People get distracted easily. Some people might even start doing web surfing during performances - possibly to obtain relevant information - but maybe not. This is not necessarily going to enhance their enjoyment, and as already suggested, would detract from the enjoyment of others.

I have used an iPad to follow a score at one concert I went to - but I was right at the back. Having now considered the light issues, I would not do this again, as it would be discourteous to others to have a bright light source in the audience area.
  • Richard Tarleton

The bit about programme notes versus google was just one sentence in the article (which covers well-trodden ground) in a quote from Krishna Thiagarajan, chief exec of RSNO. But he also says he's considered "phone-friendly" seating so that googlers do not distract everyone else. Ms Benedetti (whose thoughts seem to have triggered the piece) is not keen on phones or eating and drinking. Apparently you can drink beer (only beer?) and check your phone at OAE Night Shift concerts.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Benedetti article in The Herald a couple of days ago:

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
        The bit about programme notes versus google was just one sentence in the article (which covers well-trodden ground) in a quote from Krishna Thiagarajan, chief exec of RSNO. But he also says he's considered "phone-friendly" seating so that googlers do not distract everyone else. Ms Benedetti (whose thoughts seem to have triggered the piece) is not keen on phones or eating and drinking. Apparently you can drink beer (only beer?) and check your phone at OAE Night Shift concerts.
        An audience seating zone emitting a constant arhythmic row or rows of flashing lights: imagine that!!!

Comment

• Dave2002
          • Dec 2010

Richard and ff

I have now read the article. I guess the approach is to have "user friendly" concerts for beer swillers (what about wine, g&t etc.?) but not to have gadgets at the ready for "normal" concerts.

I don't actually see how phone and tablet users could access their devices during a concert without distracting others - or at least not in any regular way. Maybe give them a black hood in the style of photographers of bygone eras - a mini tent in which to operate.

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            An audience seating zone emitting a constant arhythmic row or rows of flashing lights: imagine that!!!
            Maybe Stockhausen would have approved? COTW.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
              Maybe Stockhausen would have approved? COTW.

Or Southend-on-Sea council have them along to give an end-of-pier show!

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                Green Park, London, 27 April 1749?
                I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• alywin
                  • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                  I don't actually see how phone and tablet users could access their devices during a concert without distracting others - or at least not in any regular way.
                  Nor do I. I've tried it in the Barbican during the interval, and realised it would be totally hopeless during the performance because of the distraction to the people behind me. I would have liked to have kept it on because I was reading a libretto or something, and the annoying grey print they insist on using in Barbican programmes rather than black makes it difficult to read in low-light conditions for those of us whose eyesight is no longer what it used to be.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                    • Nov 2010

I had a dust up at the Barbican recently, but not with an iPad user. I found myself sitting next to a lady began by dumping half her belongings on my feet before using her printed programme as a fan when she was not riffling through its pages and peering over it in the dark. I suspect that she had been dragged along by her pompous ass of a husband, since she was obviously bored to tears. Naturally this didn't stop her from applauding enthusiastically at the end.

Discourteous behaviour towards other concert goers will always be with us to some extent, but it does seem to be getting worse.

Comment

• David-G
                      • Mar 2012

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                      I have been to a number of Night Shift concerts, and have never seen anyone using their phone during the concert. Everyone is far too absorbed in the performance.

Comment

• David-G
                        • Mar 2012

People who use mobile phones during concerts or operas drive me to distraction. The bright light in the semi-darkness is impossible to ignore. I would not dream of doing it myself.

The worst experience I have had of this was a year ago in St Petersburg at a performance of "Boris Godunov" with the OAE at the Mihailovsky Theatre. I was seated in the front row of the Dress Circle, a few seats from the Tsar's Box. My view to the stage was slightly sideways, across my neighbour who spent the whole first half reading the libretto on this ipad. He scarcely looked at the stage at all. He had it set to show white print on a black background, but it was still extremely disturbing. In the interval I tried to ask him to desist, this was a little difficult as he was a tourist with no Russian and little English. He simply could not understand that he was causing disturbance to other people. I managed to convey the idea of swapping seats, so in the second half he was out of my view.
                        Last edited by David-G; 14-02-16, 01:47.

Comment

Working...
                        X