Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Roslynmuse
    • Jul 2011

There's a story of Boulez berating a tuba player, ending with a muttered 'Eet's a pity zat ze brain is not ze same size as ze instrument...'

Comment

• Richard Barrett
      • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Roslynmuse View Post
      'Eet's a pity zat ze brain is not ze same size as ze instrument...'
      Yes but imagine if someone did have a brain the size of a tuba, that would be horrific.

Comment

• Roslynmuse
        • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
        Yes but imagine if someone did have a brain the size of a tuba, that would be horrific.
        Depends on whether everything else was to scale...

...yes, I see what you mean...

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Depends on whether everything else was to scale...
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Maclintick
            • Jan 2012

There were a few familiar faces in the audience though - I'm sure I spotted Mitsuko Uchida and Judith Bingham.

Great concert - and stunning singing from Elizabeth Atherton.
            Yes, a very special evening. IIRC, after the interval Accrington's finest tunesmith Sir Harrison B presented Pierre B with the prestigious RPS Gold Medal, and preceded his encomium with a typically uncompromising & acerbic attack on what he perceived as a voguish critical relativism prevalent in Britain which deemed all musics (sic) to be of equal value, i.e. if more people preferred Meatloaf to Mozart then that meant the former was equally deserving of respekt, eh ? Similar arguments have been rehearsed ad infinitum (nauseum ?) on these boards. HB took exception to one classical music critic referencing Iggy Pop in a review. PB took this knockabout in good part, & received his well-deserved award gracefully...

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Master and Maverick: Pierre Boulez at the BBC, an archive-based documentary broadcast a week on Friday (29th Jan) at 8:00pm on BBC4. Possibly a remix of other documentaries seen over the last few years, it's presented by Tom Service - this is right up Service's street and (if he behaves himself) should be informative and insightful.
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                Ex-member
                • Sep 2013

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                Master and Maverick: Pierre Boulez at the BBC, an archive-based documentary broadcast a week on Friday (29th Jan) at 8:00pm on BBC4. Possibly a remix of other documentaries seen over the last few years, it's presented by Tom Service - this is right up Service's street and (if he behaves himself) should be informative and insightful.
                Thanks for this, fernie.

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Must remember to set the timer for that one. I will be at Dave Smith's concert for Johns Tilbury and White at Schott Music:

Friday January 29th 2015, 6.30pm

Dave Smith (piano) - Concert for John Tilbury and John White

Celebrating the 80th birthdays this year of two prominent figures on the innovative edge of British music - composer John White and pianist and improviser John Tilbury. The programme will include Cornelius Cardew's A Law of History, three Beatles arrangements by Tilbury, White's Sonatas 65, 78, 100, 111, 135 and 136, and four pieces by Smith himself: Zytnia, Stuck with Robert, I fought a monster today and Kübler and Koblet.

Tickets: £12 (£10 concessions) in advance from 0207 534 0710 or on the door.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                    Must remember to set the timer for that one. I will be at Dave Smith's concert for Johns Tilbury and White at Schott Music:
                    Thanks for the heads up on the Tilbury/White concert, Bryn. Amazingly reasonably-priced tickets iimss, though I'll probably be schott for saying so.

Comment

• mercia
                      • Nov 2010

that must be this evening

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                        that must be this evening
                        Correct! - many thanks you's two for bumping this back up.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                          Ex-member
                          • Sep 2013

I may not get back in time - is it available later on iPlayer?

Comment

• VodkaDilc

I suppose we should prepare to see the dropped crockery in the Ligeti Roundhouse Prom in 1971 - again. It was a good concert - I was lucky enough to take part in it - but that clip is reshown so often.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
                              I suppose we should prepare to see the dropped crockery in the Ligeti Roundhouse Prom in 1971 - again. It was a good concert - I was lucky enough to take part in it - but that clip is reshown so often.
                              BINGO

Comment

• Petrushka
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                                I may not get back in time - is it available later on iPlayer?
                                Hope so. I stupidly missed it.
                                "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Working...
                                X