• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Tapiola View Post
    IIRC, Ligeti, in an interview broadcast on Radio 3 some years ago, mentioned that in his analysis of Structures, he found some mistakes in Boulez's workings-out. Boulez was not a bit pleased and cut his ties with the Hungarian (before, obviously, a later rapprochement).

I wasn't sure if Alpie wasn't "convinced" by Ligeti's essay or by the "bleeding chunk" of the piece itself. The essay appeared before Boulez had established any real "ties" with the (at the time) largely unknown Ligeti - and it is typical of Boulez that he formed some of his closest and longest friendships with people with whom he could argue, rather than those who just agreed with him. This is confirmed by the discography of works he recorded of Music by seemingly "useless" composers - Ligeti, Carter, Berio, Birtwistle, even Xenakis - who weren't serialists; these far outnumber those by, say, Stockhausen.

Structures is a two-volume work (each in three sections) for two pianos which traces a progress from the very strictest "automatic" ("unmeditated") material in the first section (Structures 1a) to the loosest aleatoric writing in the middle of the Second volume. "Strictest" and "loosest" in very Boulezian terms, howver: the composer's "ego" (or "creativity") slips into 1a (the "errors" Ligeti pointed out) and his need for control into the second volume where "chance" becomes subject to serial procedures!

As with all masterpieces, the tension between the intentional and the unpredicted in this work constitutes the grit from which the pearls are formed.
    Last edited by ferneyhoughgeliebte; 12-01-16, 14:31.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Tapiola
      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
      I wasn't sure if Alpie wasn't "convinced" by Ligeti's essay or by the "bleeding chunk" of the piece itself. The essay appeared before Boulez had established any real "ties" with the (at the time) largely unknown Ligeti - and it is typical of Boulez that he formed some of his closest and longest friendships with people with whom he could argue, rather than those who just agreed with him. This is confirmed by the discography of works he recorded of Music by seemingly "useless" composers - Ligeti, Carter, Berio, even Xenakis - who weren't serialists; these far outnumber those by, say, Stockhausen.

Structures is a two-volume work (each in three sections) for two pianos which traces a progress from the very strictest "automatic" ("unmeditated") material in the first section (Structures 1a) to the loosest aleatoric writing in the middle of the Second volume. "Strictest" and "loosest" in very Boulezian terms, howver: the composer's "ego" (or "creativity") slips into 1a (the "errors" Ligeti pointed out) and his need for control into the second volume where "chance" becomes subject to serial procedures!

As with all masterpieces, the tension between the intentional and the unpredicted in this work constitutes the grit from which the pearls are formed.
      Thanks for the clarifications and expansions, fhg! Most welcome.

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by makropulos View Post
        I missed it too, so can't help with a recording of last night's concert. But the whole thing is currently buried on the iPlayer in its video version:
        First transmitted in 2005, Pierre Boulez conducts the BBC Symphony Orchestra and Chorus in a special concert from the Barbican, as part of his 80th birthday celebrations.

Hope that's some consolation.
        Thanks. Very considerable consolation, especially as I was able to get_ it[sic]. Not Radio 3's HD Sound, of course, but you do get the video content as some consolation. No real response from an alert to the iPlayer team (apart from the automated pro forma acknowledgement email) as yet re. the Radio 3 In Concert programme's lack of availability. If there are rights issues, they really should advise the presenters not to make misleading announcements re. being able to listen for 30 days via the Radio 3 website.

Well, it was sort of working (cutting out after 1 hour 23 minutes and 23 seconds. Now it just says "This content doesn't seem to be working" and clicking on "Try again" does not help. The iPlayer file appears to be corrupt. What audio there is, by the way, is at a meagre 96kbps HE-AAC.
        Last edited by Bryn; 12-01-16, 13:09. Reason: Update.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Tapiola View Post
          Thanks for the clarifications and expansions, fhg! Most welcome.
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

The Boulez at 80 Tribute Radio 3 In Concert from Sunday has now been made available Radio 3's HD Sound at http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06yny7c

Now to try and get them to sort out the video linked to by makropulos.
            Last edited by Bryn; 13-01-16, 02:41.

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

The video at http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...h/boulez-at-80 has now been restored to operation.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                The video at http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...h/boulez-at-80 has now been restored to operation.
                Thanks very much, Bryn!

Comment

• ahinton
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                  Thanks very much, Bryn!
                  And many thanks from me, too! I'd not seen it before (and have only seen parts of it so far) but PMD's contributions are welcome and PB's own in interview quite endearing as well as engaging, witty, informative and sincere (it was good to get a more definitive account of the opera house detonation story, for starters!).

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                    And many thanks from me, too! I'd not seen it before (and have only seen parts of it so far) but PMD's contributions are welcome and PB's own in interview quite endearing as well as engaging, witty, informative and sincere (it was good to get a more definitive account of the opera house detonation story, for starters!).
                    PMD is a delight as is PB. And yes, interesting where the 'bomb the opera house' story came from - but also amusing when he says that the only reason not to bomb it was that 'it would be too difficult' (i.e. it was not necessarily a bad idea)...!
                    "...the isle is full of noises,
                    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                      Ex-member
                      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                      I was at that concert.

IIRC, Harrison Birtwistle was sitting next to Peter Maxwell Davies (a few rows in front of me to my right).

Will also watch it later.

Was anyone else from the forum there?
                      I'll take that as a no.

Comment

• Roslynmuse
                        • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                        I'll take that as a no.
                        There were a few familiar faces in the audience though - I'm sure I spotted Mitsuko Uchida and Judith Bingham.

Great concert - and stunning singing from Elizabeth Atherton.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                          Ex-member
                          • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Roslynmuse View Post
                          There were a few familiar faces in the audience though - I'm sure I spotted Mitsuko Uchida and Judith Bingham.

Great concert - and stunning singing from Elizabeth Atherton.
                          (very kind Roslynmuse, but don't feel you have to )

Yes, a fair few familiar faces. At the time, I only saw The Swan-man and Garrison Bumwhistle*.

*I think - I certainly saw the pair of them together at a couple of concerts in the noughties.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                            • Nov 2010

Boulez and the members of the BBCSO's percussion section had, I believe, a slightly uneasy relationship. The principal, Gary Kettel encountered Boulez in a lift at Madia Vale on a Saturday morning where the following conversation took place...

The lift doors close and there's a slightly awkward silence with both men examining their shoes. Eventually, P.B. says

'What are you doing in on a Saturday morning?'

G.K. 'There's a big set up needed for next week. I wanted to come in whilst it was quiet'.

P.B. 'Ah'.

There's another awkward silence.

G.K. 'What are YOU doing in on a Saturday morning?'

P.B. 'I've got auditions'.

G.K. 'Well, best of luck mate!'
                            Last edited by pastoralguy; 18-01-16, 16:33.

Comment

• Richard Barrett
                              • Jan 2016

There are many anecdotes about Gary Kettel (not Kettle!) and his time at the BBCSO with Boulez. Meirion Bowen has this for example:

Once, rehearsing the BBC Symphony Orchestra, the East End-born percussion virtuoso, Gary Kettel, called out: “Er, Mr Boulez, bar 178 has five beats, and bar 179 has four: but you conducted them both in four.” Boulez responded: “Oh really, let me check.” And after a few minutes: “Sorry Gary, you’re quite right.” Kettel: “That’s all right, Pierre. But don’t let it happen again, or you’ll be in real trouble.”

... which is fairly typical of the ones I've heard, some of which are no doubt apocryphal.

Comment

• ahinton
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                                There are many anecdotes about Gary Kettel (not Kettle!) and his time at the BBCSO with Boulez. Meirion Bowen has this for example:

Once, rehearsing the BBC Symphony Orchestra, the East End-born percussion virtuoso, Gary Kettel, called out: “Er, Mr Boulez, bar 178 has five beats, and bar 179 has four: but you conducted them both in four.” Boulez responded: “Oh really, let me check.” And after a few minutes: “Sorry Gary, you’re quite right.” Kettel: “That’s all right, Pierre. But don’t let it happen again, or you’ll be in real trouble.”

... which is fairly typical of the ones I've heard, some of which are no doubt apocryphal.
                                Levine Andrade used to tell tales of someone in the orchestra that used to call him "Mr Bootlace" and, whilst that really ought to be apocryphal, its source might lead one to assume otherwise...

Comment

Working...
                                X