X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Interesting to speculate as to the words being exchanged here ('caption competition' anyone?):

The Friends of Lenny B posted it as evidence of his support for Boulez, with these words: "In 1960, Leonard Bernstein said of Boulez: 'Boulez composes with a system, a terribly complex one, which is vaguely related to the serial systems we know in Schoenberg and Webern, but so different and advanced as to make the twelve-tone system seem quite old-fashioned.' "

Well, I don't know. I had a slightly different personal experience. In the 1980s, in the first flush of my concert-going enthusiasm, I had (still have) a book called Maestro - people probably know it:

When I was going to a concert by a conductor featured in the book, I took it with me, and would try and get the conductor's autograph at the end of the relevant chapter. I have quite a few (it's in there that I have Boulez's tiny signature).

The chapter before Boulez is Bernstein - the Bernstein chapter ends halfway down a left-hand page; and then the Boulez chapter starts immediately on the right-hand page.

When I went to get Lenny to sign the end of his chapter, I placed the book open in front of him and pointed to the blank space, requesting him to sign there. But he squinted at the 'Pierre Boulez' chapter heading on the facing page, clamped his teeth on his cigarette with a grimace, pointed to the name and growled "What's this all about? I got NUTHIN' to do with that guy....." There was a definite tone of distaste.

Slightly daunted and stammering, I was able to placate him - he duly signed. Actually his autograph - huge, in red ink, covering all the available blank space from one side of the page to the other, is a revealing contrast with the minute signature at the end of the following chapter!

I wonder if they're talking to one another in the great Green Room in the sky....
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
      Interesting to speculate as to the words being exchanged here ('caption competition' anyone?):

The Friends of Lenny B posted it as evidence of his support for Boulez, with these words: "In 1960, Leonard Bernstein said of Boulez: 'Boulez composes with a system, a terribly complex one, which is vaguely related to the serial systems we know in Schoenberg and Webern, but so different and advanced as to make the twelve-tone system seem quite old-fashioned.' "

Well, I don't know. I had a slightly different personal experience. In the 1980s, in the first flush of my concert-going enthusiasm, I had (still have) a book called Maestro - people probably know it:

When I was going to a concert by a conductor featured in the book, I took it with me, and would try and get the conductor's autograph at the end of the relevant chapter. I have quite a few (it's in there that I have Boulez's tiny signature).

The chapter before Boulez is Bernstein - the Bernstein chapter ends halfway down a left-hand page; and then the Boulez chapter starts immediately on the right-hand page.

When I went to get Lenny to sign the end of his chapter, I placed the book open in front of him and pointed to the blank space, requesting him to sign there. But he squinted at the 'Pierre Boulez' chapter heading on the facing page, clamped his teeth on his cigarette with a grimace, pointed to the name and growled "What's this all about? I got NUTHIN' to do with that guy....." There was a definite tone of distaste.

Slightly daunted and stammering, I was able to placate him - he duly signed. Actually his autograph - huge, in red ink, covering all the available blank space from one side of the page to the other, is a revealing contrast with the minute signature at the end of the following chapter!

I wonder if they're talking to one another in the great Green Room in the sky....

(Maybe "get your 'and off my shouldeur, you smarmee American imperialiste lapdogue com-poseur"?)

Comment

• vinteuil
        • Nov 2010

[from 'Bargains' thread] :

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
        Europadisc currently have good prices in their homage to Boulez -

the ten discs of le Domaine Musicale for £26.95

the fourteen discs of the complete Erato recordings for £23.97

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

(Maybe "get your 'and off my shouldeur, you smarmee American imperialiste lapdogue com-poseur"?)
          That'll do!!!

I thought about

"Wanna borrow my baton, Pierre?"

"OH! I just zought you were pleased to see me, Léonard"

Sorry to lower the tone on this tribute thread. I'm in Friday afternoon mode. I'll delete if anyone requests!

Comment

• makropulos
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
            That'll do!!!

I thought about

"Wanna borrow my baton, Pierre?"

"OH! I just zought you were pleased to see me, Léonard"

Sorry to lower the tone on this tribute thread. I'm in Friday afternoon mode. I'll delete if anyone requests!
            The letters between them are certainly very cordial - so even if LB wasn't sympathetic to PB's music, they seem to have had friendly relations.

Comment

• Stanfordian
              • Dec 2010

Where is Lenny's left hand? That's what I want to know!
              Seriously what great photo!
              Last edited by Stanfordian; 09-01-16, 01:12.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                Gottle of geer, gottle of geer....

Originally posted by makropulos View Post
                The letters between them are certainly very cordial - so even if LB wasn't sympathetic to PB's music, they seem to have had friendly relations.
                Thank you for getting things back on track, mak!

Great to have an authoritative view from the 'Lenny Correspondence' front line

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Their respective aunts?

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                    • Nov 2010

His regular visits to Edinburgh, usually during the Festival, were a great highlight: "Répons" (in the unlikely surroundings of the Playhouse, a former cinema), Schoenberg in the Queen's Hall, Bartok in the Usher Hall. All memorable events. I last saw him conduct (the Ensemble Intercontemporain) in the RFH in what seems like a short time ago but turns out to be 2008 (Messiaen's "Couleurs de la Cité Céleste" and "Sept Haïkaï"; his own "sur Incises") - a thrilling evening which left me even more in awe of his ability as a kind of musical alchemist of sound. A sad start to the New Year.

Comment

• makropulos
                      • Nov 2010

Their respective aunts?
                      Oops. I think I meant "[professional] relationships" - but please don't let anyone misunderstand what that means...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Oops. I think I meant "[professional] relationships" - but please don't let anyone misunderstand what that means...

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

... my aural impression of Boulez's later music is that it no longer follows any form of pitch serialism. Far too much repetition!!!
                          Most of them are based on the proliferation of the hexachord: Eb - A - C - B - E - D (the SACHER hexachord). Pitch repetition is a result of the weaving of different versions and permutations simulataneously - as it is in Moses und Aron and others of Schoenberg's works from the 1930s onwards. Figures-Doubles-Prismes - a much earlier work, is based on two different twelve-note series - a feature Stravinsky was to use in his Requiem Canticles, and it is perhaps Stravinsky's use of internal hexachordal permutations within a twelve note row that in turn led to Boulez' own explorations of this type of pitch serialism in the works from the late '70s onward.
                          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

I think I've found the key!

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                              Ex-member
                              • Sep 2013

Great photo, Stanfordian.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                                Most of them are based on the proliferation of the hexachord: Eb - A - C - B - E - D (the SACHER hexachord). Pitch repetition is a result of the weaving of different versions and permutations simulataneously - as it is in Moses und Aron and others of Schoenberg's works from the 1930s onwards. Figures-Doubles-Prismes - a much earlier work, is based on two different twelve-note series - a feature Stravinsky was to use in his Requiem Canticles, and it is perhaps Stravinsky's use of internal hexachordal permutations within a twelve note row that in turn led to Boulez' own explorations of this type of pitch serialism in the works from the late '70s onward.
                                That's most interesting: thanks yet again, ferney. Fish supper first, then I'll try this out on my keyboard...

Comment

Working...
                                X