The Czech Philharmonic. Happy 120th Birthday!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pastoralguy
    • Nov 2010

The Czech Philharmonic. Happy 120th Birthday!

The 4th of January 2016 marks the Czech Philharmonic's 120th year of existence.

On this day in 1896, Professor Antonin Dvorak conducted the orchestra in his 'Biblical Songs', 'Otello' Overture and his Symphony 'From the New World'. Jiri Belohlavek will replicate this concert almost exactly the same programme. (The Third Rhapsody will be omitted!)

Happy Birthday, Czech Philharmonic!
  • BBMmk2
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

Indeed, happy birthday to the Czech Philharmonic!
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

They gave a wonderful concert in Cardiff under Jiří Bělohlávek in Cardiff in 2013 (lots of Smetana and Dvorak). Their concert-master Josef Špaček played the Mendelssohn VC - I spoke briefly to him afterwards as he signed copies of his CDs of Ysaÿe and Ernst for me.

Comment

• Petrushka
        • Nov 2010

I was lucky enough to see the Czech Philharmonic conducted by Vaclav Neumann in November 1977 (in Stoke on Trent of all places!) in a relatively short programme of Mozart Figaro Overture, Debussy La Mer and Dvorak Symphony No 7. The sound of every department is so unique and it's one of the great orchestras of the world. Alas, I've not seen them since that concert.

všechno nejlepší k narozeninám, Česká filharmonie!
        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Keraulophone
          • Nov 2010

Listening to them 13 years ago in the Rudolfinum, Prague, the special qualities of its woodwind and string sections were very apparent. The Incredible Hulk, aka Leif Segerstam, had brought one of his 291 Symphonies, but his Sibelius 2nd, shimmering with the colours of this great orchestra is what has stuck in the mind.

Here's to the Czech Philharmonic's next 120 years.

Comment

• richardfinegold
            • Sep 2012

I have many recordings by them in the wonderful Karel Ancerl Gold series on Supraphon. My havorite Czech PO recording is with Talich conducting Dvorak 8, from the late 1930s, with all the unique instrumental timbers faithfully reproduced

Comment

Working...
            X