Leningrad and the Orchestra That Defied Hitler - BBC2 2/01/16 9.10 p.m.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • secondfiddle
    • Nov 2011

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
    I think he died in the late '70s.
    A fascinating programme. But Tom Service surely made a slight slip-up when he refers to the Leningrad symphony’s tally of performances – nearly 100 in the first year – being ‘an unprecedented performance history’. Elgar’s First Symphony achieved something similar. What has often been said to be ‘over 100 performances’ is probably nearer 90 documented performances of the Elgar, with perhaps one or two that escaped being noted down or reviewed.

In August 1992 in the interval of the televising of the St Petersburg Philharmonic Orchestra’s Prom under Yuri Temerikanov, there was a short documentary on the orchestra and it included an extract from a film made on the 20th anniversary of the famous Leningrad performance showing a ‘performance’ with the few surviving musicians, the others being represented by their instrument on their chair. According to the narrator, that filmed performance was conducted by Karl Eliasburg. One imagines that he and those few players were miming to a recording.

Comment

• Petrushka
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by secondfiddle View Post
      A fascinating programme. But Tom Service surely made a slight slip-up when he refers to the Leningrad symphony’s tally of performances – nearly 100 in the first year – being ‘an unprecedented performance history’. Elgar’s First Symphony achieved something similar. What has often been said to be ‘over 100 performances’ is probably nearer 90 documented performances of the Elgar, with perhaps one or two that escaped being noted down or reviewed.
      I spotted this too but had forgotten about it by the time the programme ended. I think, but am not sure, that Vaughan William's 6th Symphony is also said to have achieved this 'unprecedented' feat.
      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
        I spotted this too but had forgotten about it by the time the programme ended. I think, but am not sure, that Vaughan William's 6th Symphony is also said to have achieved this 'unprecedented' feat.
        This is true Pet.

Comment

• Petrushka
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
          This is true Pet.
          In addition, I think that Anthony Payne's realisation of the Elgar 3 also received over 100 performances in its first year. Both this and the RVW post-date the 'Leningrad' but not the Elgar 1.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Yeah but no but yeah but ...

RVW#6 and Elgar#3 appeared after DSCH#7 - which, therefore, "precedented" them.
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Petrushka
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
              Yeah but no but yeah but ...

RVW#6 and Elgar#3 appeared after DSCH#7 - which, therefore, "precedented" them.
              As I point out in message 34

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                As I point out in message 34
                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Interesting article in yesterday's Sunday Times (sorry, only got round to reading it today) about Jan Younghusband, the BBC's head of commissioning for music television - she it is who has brought us this programme, Pappano on voices, that recent programme about Nicola Benedetti on tour in India....and was seemingly behind that excellent recent prog on Wilko Johnson, as well as Adele and lots of other stuff. Good for her, I wasn't aware of her before reading this.

Comment

• alywin
                    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                    I've finally caught up with this superb programme: Service at his best (no mean pianist, either) and once again working with Amanda Vickery (following their very different documentary on Handel, the Foundling Hospital and Messiah last year).

The harrowing details of the lives of the Leningraders living under the siege were frequently unbearable to listen to (I had to pause after the story of the Chemist Elena and her family) - and the genuine connection between the survivors and the work that Shostakovich wrote for (and about) them utterly humbling (and causing me conflicting feelings and thoughts).

I hope the programme will be used in schools' history lessons - it deserves every award that's going. A genuine contribution to National awareness and education, intelligently passionate and riveting viewing - it's what PSB should be doing a helluva lot more frequently.
                    This superb programme is being repeated overnight tonight - I think at 1.15 am? - on BBC4. Not to be missed, if you missed it previously (and probably also if you've seen it).

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by alywin View Post
                      This superb programme is being repeated overnight tonight - I think at 1.15 am? - on BBC4. Not to be missed, if you missed it previously (and probably also if you've seen it).
                      Indeed, https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06vkbcs

Also, https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0225b82

and https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0198krt

Comment

• Pulcinella
                        Host
                        • Feb 2014

Hadn't seen first time round, so watched last night.
                        Compelling viewing, indeed.
                        Completely extraordinary that an orchestra capable of playing the work in Leningrad could be assembled, given the deprivations they were going through at the time.
                        And very moving to see some who had been at that first performance in the hall again, with all their memories.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                          • Sep 2012

I read that it was routine during rehearsals for players to faint due to weakness. A million people died of starvation during the siege

Comment

Working...
                          X