Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oddoneout
    • Nov 2015

How many of the Schubert symphony broadcasts were of No 9? It seemed to me to have cropped up rather more times than I would have expected - twice in one week I seem to remember. Are conductors and modern orchestras rethinking their perception of it as a marathon play?

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Anna View Post
      Can we assume this information will be sent to the new controller via FoR3? If not then I think it should because I'm sure no-one at R3 has such detailed information available and it may spur him on to have a look at those unfairly neglected composers. (I always live in hope!)
      Great job as usual Suffy
      This can be done - it had crossed my mind as a(nother) useful FoR3 service …
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by antongould View Post
        5 on TTN 29/09/2015 also 4th movement of 4 on In Tune .....
        Ah yes I remember the TTN one,thanks Anton.

Comment

• Frances_iom
          • Mar 2007

Is it possible to show the statistics excluding TTN which seems to me is R3's only time some composers and many complete works are broadcast ?

Comment

• gradus
            • Nov 2010

Does anyone know what R3's attitude is to the analysis, if it has one?

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
              The living art of 'Classical Music'
              I'm not sure that the new Master of the Queen's Music will be to happy at being referred to a as a 'Dead Man' Mr GG!

Comment

• MrGongGong
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Suffolkcoastal View Post
                I'm not sure that the new Master of the Queen's Music will be to happy at being referred to a as a 'Dead Man' Mr GG!
                Missed that one
                Many apologies

But I think the point still stands (NOT that there's anything wrong with the music by the rest of them)

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
                  • Nov 2010

Here’s the symphony breakdown – complete symphonies only for those who had 10 or more symphonies broadcast complete – except for some 18th Century symphonies where the numbering etc is more difficult to ascertain.
                  BEETHOVEN – 1=14, 2=7, 3=12, 4=10, 5=10, 6=12, 7=17, 8=10, 9=6
                  BERLIOZ – FANTASTIQUE=8, HAROLD=3, ROMEO & JULIET=1, FUNEBRE=3
                  BRAHMS – 1=3, 2=8, 3=12, 4=7
                  BRUCKNER - 3=3, 4=7, 5=1, 6=4, 7=1, 8=4, 9=2
                  DVORAK – 3=3, 4=1, 5=2, 6=4, 7=10, 8=7, 9=8
                  ELGAR – 1=5, 2=8
                  HAYDN F J – 8=1, 9=1, 11=1, 17=1, 22=4, 26=4, 28=2, 30=1, 37=1, 38=1, 39=4, 43=1, 44=5, 47=2, 48=1, 49=7, 52=1, 53=1, 54=1, 59=2, 64=1, 68=3, 73=4, 74=1, 83=4, 85=4, 87=1, 90=2, 93=1, 94=6, 98=1, 100=3, 101=1, 102=3, 103=4, 104=4,
                  MAHLER – 1=10, 2=4, 3=5, 4=9, 5=6, 6=3, 7=1, 9=3, 10=2
                  MENDELSSOHN = STRING=5, 1=6, 3=9, 4=14, 5=7
                  MOZART W A – K75=1, KV111=1, 4=3, 5=2, 9=1, 11=1, 16=3, 17=1, 19=2, 21=1, 22=1, 23=1, 25=5, 26=1, 29=8, 31=2, 32=1, 33=6, 34=3, 35=9, 36=3, 38=7, 39=2, 40=6, 41=15
                  NIELSEN – 1=4, 2=6, 3=5, 4=8, 5=7, 6=7
                  PROKOFIEV – 1=12, 3=3, 4=1, 5=12, 6=1, 7=1
                  RACHMANINOV – YOUTH=1, 1=1, 2=8, 3=1
                  SCHUBERT – 1=1, 2=1, 3=1, 4=3, 5=11, 6=1, 8=12, 9=9
                  SCHUMANN R – ZWIKAU=1, 1=7, 2=8, 3=4, 4=6
                  SCRIABIN – 3=4, 4=7
                  SHOSTAKOVICH – 1=2, 4=1, 5=4, 6=1, 7=2, 8=1, 9=2, 10=8, 11=1, 14=1, 15=4
                  SIBELIUS – KULLERVO=3, 1=8, 2=9, 3=5, 4=6, 5=17, 6=6, 7=14
                  STRAVINSKY – PSALMS=6, IN C=2, IN 3 MOVEMENTS=7
                  TCHAIKOVSKY P I – MANFRED=1, 1=4, 2=1, 4=8, 5=2, 6=10, 7=1
                  VAUGHAN WILLIAMS – 1=2, 2=6, 3=3, 4=1, 5=3, 6=1, 7=1, 8=1, 9=1

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                    But I think the point still stands (NOT that there's anything wrong with the music by the rest of them)
                    On the other hand, were it not for all those Dead White Men, 'classical music' wouldn't exist. The vast majority of classical composers being DWM, it's not surprising that they're so strongly represented.
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                      On the other hand, were it not for all those Dead White Men, 'classical music' wouldn't exist. The vast majority of classical composers being DWM, it's not surprising that they're so strongly represented.
                      (NOT that there's anything wrong with the music by the rest of them)

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
                        • Jun 2014

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                        Basically, there is a reason for the most popular composers being the most popular. Their music appeals to the most listeners, however strange that may seem to some in the case of Brahms. Most works of genuine quality will emerge to achieve greater popularity eventually. I don't see any great conspiracy to prevent that, tbh.

Whether a piece of quality art has been produced by a white man or black woman, and whether they are now dead or alive, is wholly irrelevant to the listener with a truly open and receptive mind.

The general acceptance of the music (however long-delayed) is the only real judge. 'Bums on seats' is the valid, if appalling, modern term.

And long may it be so!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by P. G. Tipps View Post
                          Basically, there is a reason for the most popular composers being the most popular. Their music appeals to the most listeners, however strange that may seem to some in the case of Brahms. Most works of genuine quality will emerge to achieve greater popularity eventually. I don't see any great conspiracy to prevent that, tbh.

Whether a piece of quality art has been produced by a white man or black woman, and whether they are now dead or alive, is wholly irrelevant to the listener with a truly open and receptive mind.

The general acceptance of the music (however long-delayed) is the only real judge. 'Bums on seats' is the valid, if appalling, modern term.

And long may it be so!
                          Who are you quoting there, Tippsy? Joe Stalin, or Andrei Zhdanov?

Comment

• MrGongGong
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by P. G. Tipps View Post
                            Most works of genuine quality will emerge to achieve greater popularity eventually.

Yeah right

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
                              • Jun 2014

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                              Who are you quoting there, Tippsy? Joe Stalin, or Andrei Zhdanov?
                              Oh, you are unduly obsessed with things political, S_A ... unless you mean Zhdanov the footballer?

Music is surely a means of communication. at least as far as public performance is concerned.

It it fails to 'communicate' to a significant number of listeners over time it's 'unpopular' fate inevitably will be sealed.

Of course some composers are 'discovered' long after their deaths (peace, Mr GG!), but even then they still have to convince significant numbers from the grave!

It can happen ...

Comment

• cloughie
                                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Suffolkcoastal View Post
                                Treason GG - you could be (in your own words) a DEAD MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X