X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Quarky
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
    I'm always slightly (only slightly mind you!) irritated about how The Beatles are frequently brought into items about Stockhausen as if we should somehow listen to his music because they liked it, were influenced by it and "everyone likes the Beatles" so it must be good....
    i can only imagine that Worby's intention was to introduce the work to 2 million odd highly conservative listeners on the basis that "if a bunch of Liverpool Lads with only half a dozen chords between them can appreciate it, why can't you?"

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
      ... "Nice" to hear Rolf on last night, he always has insightful things to say IMV.
      "Can you you hear what it is yet?"

Ah, not that Rolf.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
        Ex-member
        • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Oddball View Post
        1. Does not require initiation into the mysteries of serial composition to enjoy it;
        Please remember, serial compositions do not require initiation into the mysteries of serial composition to be enjoyed.

2. One has to marvel at the skill of the electrical engineering, tape splicing, filtering, mixing to produce a vast panorama of sound effects - although it sounds curiously retro and Doctor Who-ish in this digital laptop age;
        I can only guess at the skill of the tape-splicing involved, but would say that the sound produced was fascinating and engaging. It might sound retro because it was written almost 50 years ago.

3. The Beatles were inspired to write the composition "nine";
        Pleasing that such a great band like the Beatles was casting their net as wide as electroacoustic music.

4. (relatively) easy listening
        Yes, and parts 3 & 4 particularly.

5. Good Fun.
        Indeed. Adventures are often fun.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Oddball View Post
          i can only imagine that Worby's intention was to introduce the work to 2 million odd highly conservative listeners on the basis that "if a bunch of Liverpool Lads with only half a dozen chords between them can appreciate it, why can't you?"
          Oh come now, two of them constituted the "greatest song writers since Schubert" [Tony Palmer], did they not?
          Last edited by Bryn; 03-01-16, 13:06. Reason: Typo

Comment

• Quarky
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
            Oh came now, two of them constituted the "greatest song writers since Schubert" [Tony Palmer], did they not?
            I will take your word for that. I can't speak for Robert Worby or the audience he was addressing, largely sceptical I would assume, but it did seem to be a sales pitch for a classic car - "The Beatles drive one..."

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Strange that, at the extremes ("Load of rubbish", "Wash your ears out, open your mind") both sides think they're right in an absolute sense. Is this true of people who have a more reasoned approach? I don't know.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                Strange that, at the extremes ("Load of rubbish", "Wash your ears out, open your mind") both sides think they're right in an absolute sense. Is this true of people who have a more reasoned approach? I don't know.
                What are you referring to?

I wasn't aware of any "sides" at all.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                  ? - Has anyone said it was a "load of rubbish"?

(And, of course, the "more reasoned approach" is to realize that it is a terrific piece! :biggrin)
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                    Please remember, serial compositions do not require initiation into the mysteries of serial composition to be enjoyed.
                    - and, if I may be so bold
                    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                      ? - Has anyone said it was a "load of rubbish"?
                      Not on this thread, but you know - he doesn't post here any more
                      (And, of course, the "more reasoned approach" is to realize that it is a terrific piece! )

I listened to the whole piece in ideal ambient conditions (but the audio was tenth rate ) .
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• umslopogaas
                        • Nov 2010

#20, thanks Beefy. I was tempted to buy the complete edition until I saw how many there were, it would be over a thousand quid. However, I shall be buying Hymnen.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                          Ex-member
                          • Sep 2013

Originally posted by umslopogaas View Post
                          #20, thanks Beefy. I was tempted to buy the complete edition until I saw how many there were, it would be over a thousand quid. However, I shall be buying Hymnen.

Scrolling through, I see that CDs #47 is HYMNEN / ANTHEMS (Third Region) Electronic Music with orchestra 23 Euros.

I would advise careful scrutiny of the the list as there are various issues and break-downs of bigger issues. It's quite confusing. Make sure you get the Hymnen that works best for you!

Regarding the prices, they are quite high. I bought 5 of the seven days of 'Licht' and they came to over £350 with all the p&p (I bought them over time, not in one go). No proper libretto/script. You have to pay extra for those! Tightly run business - they (Kathinka Pasveer?) control the rights to the music (DG used to issue these recordings). Btw, the sound quality is astonishing!!

Edit: Seems their prices include p&p. Either I'm remembering wrongly, or their policy has changed.
                          Last edited by Beef Oven!; 02-01-16, 13:18.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                            Ex-member
                            • Sep 2013

............ and, if I may be so bold

Ad tempus concessa post tempus censetur denegata

But don't push it

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                              I rather like the way Bach, Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven et al made collages of different notes, instruments, voices, etc. to create what they knew as music too.

As the sainted J.C., put it, "Happy New Ears".
                              He nicked that phrase then (See my thread - that said I'm probably not its originator!)

Comment

• Quarky
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by umslopogaas View Post
                                There are versions posted on YouTube - but whether they are legal?

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Working...
                                X