• Sep 2013

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post

NICE !!!!
    I didn't think you'd see my post!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Wow! What a terrific piece! Greatly enjoyed that, and the Worby introductions and interviews - brilliant start to the year.

(The "Outro" was a bit "abrupt", crashing into the final sounds of the work like somebody dropping a dustbin lid. But an inspiring and invigorating concert - I had wondered if I'd manage the whole two-and-a-half hours, but the time surfed on these haunting, eerie sounds. Brought back a whole decade of Musical encounters, but renewed and refreshed for the new Century/millennium. A pity that the versions with ensemble seem to have been "withdrawn" - but the purely electronic/taped sounds worked magnificently on their own and in their own terms. Terrific piece!)
      Last edited by ferneyhoughgeliebte; 02-01-16, 00:35. Reason: Extra Reflection(s)
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• umslopogaas
        • Nov 2010

Alas, I didnt hear most of it, but did catch the last fifteen minutes. Wonderful. Is anyone going to issue a recording?

Comment

• oddoneout
          • Nov 2015

I listened to most of 1, beginning of 2 and end of 3(dinner duties intervened) and all of 4. Sorry folks but it left me largely unmoved, except when the sustained high pitched sounds caused physical discomfort. For the most part it seemed to me to be a sound collage rather than music, but I didn't feel the need to turn it off after a few minutes, unlike several other modern day composers I can think of. It is a long old listen though.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
            Ex-member
            • Sep 2013

Originally posted by umslopogaas View Post
            Alas, I didnt hear most of it, but did catch the last fifteen minutes. Wonderful. Is anyone going to issue a recording?
            I've taken in most of it, off and on this evening. Marvellous music, especially with the orchestra.

I don't know if this version with orchestra is available, but the version for instrumentalists is available here.

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by umslopogaas View Post
              Easy enough to catch in 320kbps AAC-LC via the iPlayer. However, a 4 channel audio DVD (DVDV format) would be welcome. I just wonder whether the Stockhausen Verlag is up to/for it.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                For the most part it seemed to me to be a sound collage rather than music, but I didn't feel the need to turn it off after a few minutes, unlike several other modern day composers I can think of.
                Not sure why you think that "a sound collage" is something different from "Music", odd1 - but the work's magic at least made such an impression that it removed any desire to switch off Sounds like a good start!

It is a long old listen though.
                - nobody can complain that Stockhausen wasn't generous!

Comment

• oddoneout
                  • Nov 2015

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                  Not sure why you think that "a sound collage" is something different from "Music",
                  Oh, that'll be down to my narrow minded view of what constitutes music......

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                    Oh, that'll be down to my narrow minded view of what constitutes music......
                    I rather like the way Bach, Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven et al made collages of different notes, instruments, voices, etc. to create what they knew as music too.

As the sainted J.C., put it, "Happy New Ears".

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                      Ex-member
                      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                      I've taken in most of it, off and on this evening. Marvellous music, especially with the orchestra.

I don't know if this version with orchestra is available, but the version for instrumentalists is available here.

Have now listened to all parts plus the commentary.

Awesome! Marvellous sounds, wonderful music!

Don't miss this musical adventure!

Comment

• MrGongGong
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                        I rather like the way Bach, Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven et al made collages of different notes, instruments, voices, etc. to create what they knew as music too.

As the sainted J.C., put it, "Happy New Ears".

"Our ears are now in excellent condition"

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post

"Our ears are now in excellent condition"
                          Looking forward to reading your responses in the light of your #10 (point 2), MrGG

Comment

• MrGongGong
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                            Looking forward to reading your responses in the light of your #10 (point 2), MrGG
                            Having heard last nights broadcast i've somewhat changed my mind about the piece.
                            I still do think that the use of national anthems as examples of universal (or universally recognisable?) music is somewhat naive and superficial but I was really drawn into the whole world of the piece.
                            The section with orchestra and 'tape' was particularly effective as was much of Region 4.
                            Very much a period piece though IMV without contextualisation i'm not sure how well it would work?

Comment

• Quarky
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                              ..... so, in the style of Radio 3, would anyone like to give me 5 (or more) reasons to listen to the New Year's Day, apparently rare*, broadcast of Stockhausen's Hymnen

A complete performance of Stockhausen's celebrated electroacoustic work Hymnen.

* one reason would I suppose be that rarity
                              1. Does not require initiation into the mysteries of serial composition to enjoy it;
                              2. One has to marvel at the skill of the electrical engineering, tape splicing, filtering, mixing to produce a vast panorama of sound effects - although it sounds curiously retro and Doctor Who-ish in this digital laptop age;
                              3. The Beatles were inspired to write the composition "nine";
                              4. (relatively) easy listening
                              5. Good Fun.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Oddball View Post
                                3. The Beatles were inspired to write the composition "nine";
                                I'm always slightly (only slightly mind you!) irritated about how The Beatles are frequently brought into items about Stockhausen as if we should somehow listen to his music because they liked it, were influenced by it and "everyone likes the Beatles" so it must be good....

I don't think it's always necessary (and that means YOU too Worby in the Guardian).

New Year Old Music ..... (it's not "new" any more)

BUT, having said that more of this please.

"Nice" to hear Rolf on last night, he always has insightful things to say IMV.

Comment

Working...
                                X