X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mercia
    • Nov 2010

Hymnen

..... so, in the style of Radio 3, would anyone like to give me 5 (or more) reasons to listen to the New Year's Day, apparently rare*, broadcast of Stockhausen's Hymnen

A complete performance of Stockhausen's celebrated electroacoustic work Hymnen.

* one reason would I suppose be that rarity
    Last edited by mercia; 31-12-15, 13:30.
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

1) It's a fantastic piece.
    2) You might enjoy it.
    3) It's not "mainstream" repertoire.
    4) It's the first radio broadcast of a new remixing of the original tape, to enable a closer sound quality to that experienced in the concert hall.
    5) You cannot legitimately express an opinion of the work (or the composer) if you haven't heard it.
    6) It's a fantastic piece.

(Pedants might point out that 6 and 1 are identical - but it's such an important point that I feel it needs such significant repetition.)
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• mercia
      • Nov 2010

thank you

did you mean 'not "mainstream"' Stockhausen, or 'not "mainstream"' Radio 3 (which some would argue covers a lot) ?

Comment

• Beef Oven!
        Ex-member
        • Sep 2013

1) It's nice
        2) The opportunity cost is virtually zero
        3) It will be a new experience that you might like
        4) It's something interesting to talk about during the informal pre-chatter of your next tenants association meeting
        5) You will be able to talk, with some evidence, when you eulogise/slag-off the work, in the future

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by mercia View Post
          thank you

did you mean 'not "mainstream"' Stockhausen, or 'not "mainstream"' Radio 3 ?
          I would suggest that both apply. It appeals to a far wider public than most of his works. I recall my surprise on finding the LP album on the shelves of a fellow SU sabbatical who was not known for his interest in music other than of the rock variety. It was the only Stockhausen he had, and he loved it. Various Regions have been broadcast on Radio 3 in the past, but this is something special. I just wish I knew how to capture the 4 track surround option for later listening.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

did you mean 'not "mainstream"' Stockhausen, or 'not "mainstream"' Radio 3 (which some would argue covers a lot) ?
            The latter (and I agree - which is why I put it on my list: Wrightio3 was often justly criticized for its unadventurous, predictable "menu". If Alan Davey is seeking to restore the station's former reputation in this regard at least, it deserves our support. And it's a great piece; and you might like it! )

Comment

• mercia
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
              1) It's nice
              oh dear, perhaps I won't listen after all

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Never make excuses for yourself based on what Beef Oven says!

If you don't listen to the piece, just think: you won't be able to compare yours with other's reactions to the bit where he introduces the German national anthem.

(Now, what could I possibly be referring to??? See, you'd better have a listen)

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                  Ex-member
                  • Sep 2013

Comment

• MrGongGong
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                    1) It's nice

NICE !!!!

If I wanted "NICE" music i'd go to see Gorgoroth

I'll have a listen because

1: I've long thought that it was a misjudged piece and not a good example of his work of the period
                    and
                    2: I want to see if I still think that
                    and
                    3: Simon says it's cr*p, and he hasn't even heard it !

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                      1) It's a fantastic piece.
                      2) You might enjoy it.
                      3) It's not "mainstream" repertoire.
                      4) It's the first radio broadcast of a new remixing of the original tape, to enable a closer sound quality to that experienced in the concert hall.
                      5) You cannot legitimately express an opinion of the work (or the composer) if you haven't heard it.
                      6) It's a fantastic piece.

(Pedants might point out that 6 and 1 are identical - but it's such an important point that I feel it needs such significant repetition.)
                      Thanks , ferney!!!!

For me, it's all about what I, me , myself, think Radio 3 should be about. We've got used to the idea of Music-U-Like being something that you can access non-stop, the entire gamut from Bach to Tchaikovsky, 24/7. Radio 3 has too many rivals if that's all it's going to be. And don't forget: Stockhausen will be CotW from next Monday. I hope R3 hasn't forgotten how to do 'different'
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• teamsaint
                        • Nov 2010

If you don't know any Stockhausen, my advice would be to listen to just a little bit today.
                        Then listen to the broadcast tomorrow.
                        And then your percentage increase in knowledge of his music will be phenomenal, for a very small ( as Beefy ! Points out) opportunity cost. Which I always think is great.

I have heard that its a fantastic piece.Can anybody confirm this?
                        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Tevot
                          • Nov 2010

Hello there,

Alternatively you could possibly listen to Volk which is an Album of National Anthems by Laibach. One or two board members here will rave about them. As will I Thoroughly recommended.

Below is the link to Rossiya:-

Laibach WTC store: http://wtc.laibach.org/Laibach tour dates: http://www.laibach.org/future-eventsLaibach - RossiyaDirected by neejakaLYRICS:United forever i...

Enjoy.

Re Stockhausen. I enjoyed many moons ago Unsichtbare Chore. Maybe that will float your boat?

Best Wishes and Happy New Year

Tevot

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Tevot View Post
                            Alternatively you could possibly listen to Volk which is an Album of National Anthems by Laibach.
                            No need for "alternatively", Tevot (this isn't the "Not ... But ..." Thread, after all) - "additionally"!!!!

Best Wishes and Happy New Year
                            - and all the best to you & your'n, too.

Comment

• ahinton
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                              the entire gamut from Bach to Tchaikovsky
                              How that reminds me of the long infamous quote from Dorothy Parker (the source of which does seem to be authentic) of her view on Katherine Hepburn (which might seem to be more in doubt), namely that KH (or whoever) "ran the gamut of human emotion all the way from A to B" (for more detail on which pedants and others interested might care to visit http://quoteinvestigator.com/2013/09/26/gamut-emotion/ )...
                              Last edited by ahinton; 31-12-15, 16:56.

Comment

Working...
                              X