That One Special Piece

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Aubade

Over *****y years ago, I was on a major exploration of all things RVW and the whole English pastoral bit round him — Finzi, Butterworth, Ireland, etc — so , of course, RVW 3rd was an important centrepiece. It was a symphony not a simple, single-minded pastoral serenade but it spoke to me from that pastoral tradition. Then, one morning, on the school/station run (me to the station then on to the school gates) we were in a west London rat run when there was the most eerie ullulation, rising in volume as we got closer. I stopped the car in the middle of the road and went on alone to investigate.

A lorry had turned left over the legs of a cyclist leaving him demented with agony. I freely admit that it was an experience and sound that slightly unhinged me for at least 48 hours. Finally, one evening, in search of comfort, I put on RVW's Pastoral — and I heard, not Matthew Arnold, not Samuel Palmer, not Malvern Hills, but Flanders, Thessaloniki and the all RVW saw with the ambulance unit. Those extra layers have stayed with me and in the music ever since.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Aubade View Post
      Over *****y years ago, I was on a major exploration of all things RVW and the whole English pastoral bit round him — Finzi, Butterworth, Ireland, etc — so , of course, RVW 3rd was an important centrepiece. It was a symphony not a simple, single-minded pastoral serenade but it spoke to me from that pastoral tradition. Then, one morning, on the school/station run (me to the station then on to the school gates) we were in a west London rat run when there was the most eerie ullulation, rising in volume as we got closer. I stopped the car in the middle of the road and went on alone to investigate.

A lorry had turned left over the legs of a cyclist leaving him demented with agony. I freely admit that it was an experience and sound that slightly unhinged me for at least 48 hours. Finally, one evening, in search of comfort, I put on RVW's Pastoral — and I heard, not Matthew Arnold, not Samuel Palmer, not Malvern Hills, but Flanders, Thessaloniki and the all RVW saw with the ambulance unit. Those extra layers have stayed with me and in the music ever since.

That's what it's all about,I think

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by NatBalance View Post
        Cripes, that's dedication. I didn't know there was that many of each.

Haven't got to listening to ALL the Mahler yet but I know he is rather special. The ending of his 9th is really something, which I ended up listening to because of Edgley (below), an ending like Neptune to which nothing can follow, but I don't think Edgely meant Mahler's 9th.

Of course, to choose something that is long gives you a lot more for your money, so to speak. I could then choose the whole Planets suite. Can they choose whole symphonies in DID? I think they can. In that case they are getting a lot more music than those who just choose, say eight pop songs. I should perhaps ask which movement would you choose from the Mahler, Beethoven symphonies, to which you will reply with horror "Sacrilage! You cannot separate them! The very idea, shame on you".

Now then:-

Great reply, but which composer are you referring to? I presume you mean Ralph Vaughan Williams. Being a fan of Holst I think it comes with the territory that you will also be a fan of VW (someone's bound to disagree with that). Great stuff, Vaughan Williams is a superb composer and I do really like his 9th and the last 3 or 4 minutes to which you refer (I think) and you're perhaps not into visuals to go alongside the music but I like 'em, and this one's says it for me:-

PLEASE DO NOT BLAME ME FOR ADS WHICH INTERRUPT THIS VIDEO. THEY ARE INSERTED BY YOUTUBE. TO WATCH WITHOUT ADS, DOWNLOAD A FREE ADBLOCK PROGRAM TO YOUR COMP...

I really like VW's 4th symphony aswell, and what he said about it "Don't know whether I like it, but it's what I meant". Brilliant! I know exactly what he means, it's bonkers music, but I sure am glad he composed it. Fantastic ending, a certain part of which makes me feel like a great big ugly monster is climbing out of a hole to get at me.

Excellent Jayne, this is just what I am looking for. I look forward to listening to this piece, a new one on me.
        Hi Nat.

Yes I was referring to RVW 9.
        I mentioned Mahler because it was he (I think) who said a symphony should be about the world,which to me RVW 9 is,not Wessex,Stonehenge and Hardy.
        But what do I know

Comment

• antongould
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post

But what do I know

Everything ER as most of us do ....

Comment

• NatBalance
            • Oct 2015

Originally posted by Aubade View Post
            That's very interesting Aubade. Thank you for that. The idea of peacefull music being connected to violence reminds me of something I heard from a D-Day veteran on the radio once and it has stuck in my mind ever since and changed the way I hear a certain piece of music forever. He said that during the landings he remembers a moment seeing all the carnage and death about him and some music was playing. I can't recall where he said the music was coming from but the music was …. …. Moonlight Serenade - Glen Miller.

WOW!

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post

Suk: Asrael Symphony.

...The Price of Love - is Grief.
            Thank you very much Jayne for introducing me to Suk. A very lovely piece of music, and such powerfull but sadly true meaning behind it. I'll have to listen to more Suk.

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
              • Jun 2014

If I couldn't take all the Bruckner Symphonies (inc, No 00, No 0, First Versions, Original Versions, Revised Versions, Doctored Versions, Newly-Discovered Versions, etc etc etc) I would feel obliged to viciously turn on Ms Young and accuse her of gross misandry and extreme mental cruelty.

I would then choose something which reminded me of a cold, damp place ... Hamish MacCunn's somewhat visionary The Land of the Mountain & the Flood would do nicely.

All true Scots yearn for their homeland, despite being more than content living elsewhere, even if that's being forced to live alone and miserable on a horrible, sun-kissed desert island.

Comment

Working...
              X